Got an Eviction Notice. Recommend me an attorney

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
joel

Post by joel »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:55 pm
TampaShooters wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:49 pm Instead of getting an attorney, pay your rent.
Agreed. Rent is much cheaper than attorneys.
+1
Whoutink

Post by Whoutink »

Turns out I'm backing down. Lol. According to attorney my wife spoke with, we are screwed, because our agreement is verbal and handled in cash, no matter the truth , he can say whatever he wants, and we lose.
The attorney said if you wanna pay me 750 bucks ill gladly handle it but you are throwing away more of your money.
TheKernel

Post by TheKernel »

Why would you want the hassles of trying to stay somewhere you're not wanted??
Whoutink

Post by Whoutink »

I don't want to stay, just don't need eviction popping up hurting me later. I just wanted to win the case and then leave. But I also don't have a plan nor they money to move right now. Like I said my rent isn't due until tomorrow. He's totally fuuiuking us and I am not prepared. So I think I'll just fuuuk him back a little
Whoutink

Post by Whoutink »

Change thread to ideas on screwing landlord lol.
Xeeoneyx

Post by Xeeoneyx »

I went through this a few years ago. Gave cash to the husband. Wife comes knocking demanding the rent. Turns out that they were getting divorced. I paid rent to the court and moved out.

Pay the rent to the courthouse. That way the case will be dropped and you will not have an eviction on your record. The case will still show but whoever is doing the search will still be able to see that you paid and that you didn't have to get tossed out by the sheriff for non-payment.

Or, submit the receipt to the courthouse. He wrote you one when you paid cash, right? If not, make one. Staples sells receipt books and you have his signature from the lease. :-)
Whoutink

Post by Whoutink »

Thanks for the tips. I wasn't going to pay it, cuz he is asking for 4 times what I owe. But I'll do the stuff the court asks and dispute the amount, unless my wife says not to. Only her name on the eviction notice, which is weird cuz I deal with the rent solely. He's an Ahole and an idiot. She has an eviction on her background check already. I don't, so it's up to her. I'm pretty sure her final decision will be, F him.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

Verbal contract is worth the paper it’s written on.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

wjbarricklow wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:32 pm Verbal contract is worth the paper it’s written on.
+1 And any contract is only as good as those signing it. If it falls apart regardless of the paper its a PITA.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Whoutink wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:11 pm Thanks for the tips. I wasn't going to pay it, cuz he is asking for 4 times what I owe. But I'll do the stuff the court asks and dispute the amount, unless my wife says not to. Only her name on the eviction notice, which is weird cuz I deal with the rent solely. He's an Ahole and an idiot. She has an eviction on her background check already. I don't, so it's up to her. I'm pretty sure her final decision will be, F him.
If it was a verbal contract he's got NOTHING to back him up. Tell him you want him to pull the eviction notice and you'll leave. And if it goes on record and hurts your credit or your chances to rent or buy someplace you will sue. Because of the lack of proof of a rental agreement he has no way of winning that.