NRA Going Broke...Fake News?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Tenzing_Norgay

NRA Going Broke...Fake News?

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

I find this spin hard to believe:

https://nypost.com/2018/08/03/nra-says- ... -collapse/

NRA Says It’s Broke and On The Verge of Collapse

By Bob Fredericks August 3, 2018

The deep-pocketed NRA claims it’s going broke and may soon “be unable to exist” — and blames Gov. Andrew Cuomo for its purported poverty, according to a recent court document that’s part of its lawsuit against the state.

The pro-gun lobby — which gave a record $21 million to Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign — said it’s headed to the poorhouse because a state agency told insurers to cut ties with the association and slapped a $7 million fine on NRA insurance broker Lockton Cos.

The group had filed a federal lawsuit against Cuomo and the state in May, claiming New York launched an unfair “blacklisting campaign” against the association.

In the new court filing in late July, the NRA complained it couldn’t obtain financial services crucial to its operations and faced “irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm” after losing insurance coverage.

“Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” according to the new document, which was first reported by the New York Law Journal.

Without liability insurance, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies,” the filing said.

NRA-TV may also be on the chopping block, the Oliver North-led association complained.

“The NRA’s inability to obtain insurance in connection with media liability raises risks that are especially acute; if insurers remain afraid to transact with the NRA, there is a substantial risk that NRATV will be forced to cease operating,” the new filing said.

In the initial suit filed in May, the NRA claimed that Cuomo and state Department of Financial Services Superintendent Maria Vullo conspired to pressure financial institutions and insurers to cut ties with the group.

The state argued in a motion filed in early July that the insurers they targeted were selling coverage that violated state law, according to the Law Journal’s report.

The insurance, called Carry Guard, provided coverage for any criminal defense bills and protection from civil suits an individual could face after using a gun in self-defense.

The state argued that the coverage was illegal because “New York state law prohibits insurance coverage to defense costs arising out of a crime.”

Dallas-based William Brewer III, lead lawyer for the NRA, told the Journal that the group was “suffering setbacks” because of the state’s actions.

“The amended complaint raises concerns about the material impacts to the NRA as a result of the actions of Governor Cuomo and DFS,” Brewer said in a statement about the new filing.

“Our client is suffering setbacks with respect to the availability of insurance and banking services — as a result of a political and discriminatory campaign meant to coerce financial institutions to refrain from doing business with the NRA. The actions of defendants are a blatant attack on the First Amendment rights of our organization,” he continued.

Cuomo said Friday the state would file a motion seeking the dismissal of the NRA’s suit.

“New York will not be intimidated by the NRA’s frivolous lawsuit to advance its dangerous gun-peddling agenda,” Cuomo said in a statement.

“Donald Trump and Washington, DC may be bought and paid for by the NRA, but in New York we are listening to the voices of people across the nation calling for action to keep our communities safe. While the NRA tries to play the victim, New York stands with the real victims—the thousands of people whose lives are cut short by gun violence every year.”
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Smells like BS to me!
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

While I don't think the NRA is going broke, why would you call a story about a pending law suit fake news?

Are you saying there is no law suit? Are you saying the pleadings don't state that the NRA could be in financial trouble because of laws in NY?

What part is fake? Seriously, please explain.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Gmountain wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:53 am While I don't think the NRA is going broke, why would you call a story about a pending law suit fake news?

Are you saying there is no law suit? Are you saying the pleadings don't state that the NRA could be in financial trouble because of laws in NY?

As mentioned in the very first line of my post, I'm referring to the spin the press is putting on the story. NRA pleads "financial hardship" due to NYS (as reads boilerplate in every lawsuit)... press says "Look! They're broke!!" "On the verge of collapse!!" :roll:
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:02 am
Gmountain wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:53 am While I don't think the NRA is going broke, why would you call a story about a pending law suit fake news?

I'm referring to the spin the press is putting on the story. NRA pleads "financial hardship" due to NYS (as reads boilerplate in every lawsuit)... press says "Look! They're broke!!" "On the verge of collapse!!" :roll:
So there isn't anything in the story that isn't true?
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Gmountain wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:16 am
Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:02 am

I'm referring to the spin the press is putting on the story. NRA pleads "financial hardship" due to NYS (as reads boilerplate in every lawsuit)... press says "Look! They're broke!!" "On the verge of collapse!!" :roll:
So there isn't anything in the story that isn't true?
Are you the attorney for the Post? :lol:
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Utter BS. The news is faked by not providing context. The "fine" and NY state claims are just part of the pattern of harassment by Gov. Cuomo. Every big national association uses the same sort of insurance setup. Read your policies you get from anything you belong to. NY is going to have to settle or lose.

As for the $7 million fine, it's chicken feed. -
Wikipedia: Lockton Companies Inc. is the world's largest privately held insurance brokerage firm, providing insurance, risk management and employee benefits solutions. In addition to its Kansas City, Missouri headquarters, Lockton operates more than 88 locations in 24 countries. Lockton currently employs more than 6,500 people worldwide.

................. with global revenues reaching more than $1.44 billion in fiscal 2017.
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

jjk308 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 am Utter BS. The news is faked by not providing context. The "fine" and NY state claims are just part of the pattern of harassment by Gov. Cuomo. Every big national association uses the same sort of insurance setup. Read your policies you get from anything you belong to. NY is going to have to settle or lose.

As for the $7 million fine, it's chicken feed. -
Wikipedia: Lockton Companies Inc. is the world's largest privately held insurance brokerage firm, providing insurance, risk management and employee benefits solutions. In addition to its Kansas City, Missouri headquarters, Lockton operates more than 88 locations in 24 countries. Lockton currently employs more than 6,500 people worldwide.

................. with global revenues reaching more than $1.44 billion in fiscal 2017.
New is reported. People should be aware of context. People should be informed- they should get context from reading different virewpoints, and beign aware of ongoing issues. Context is what makes opinion. This is not 'fake " news. Lately, it seems that every news story someone doesn't like is "fake" news.

Calling something fake news becuae you don't like it just contributes to the dumbing down of America.
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Is the NRA "going broke" and "on the verge of collapse"?
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

If the New York Post told me that the sun came up in the east, I wouldn't believe it.