Safety Harbor Firearms gets an ATF surprise....

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

Safety Harbor Firearms gets an ATF surprise....

Post by tector »

“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

So in this case they are considering the upper receiver the gun. That’s because it’s a bolt action. On bolt action rifles, the bolt sits in the registered receiver. Whoever thought someone would make a bolt action AR. Bet they argued which receiver is the “registered” part. GARY.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

There are a lot of guns that have two serialized parts...I have a Kimmel arms lower receiver ( think Tech 9 ) on an AA arms tube upper.... Both have numbers .
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

The problem is the legal definition of receiver. In the AR-15 it is really split in 2, part in the lower and part in the upper. The ATF seems to be too incompetent or maybe too lazy to deal with this, maybe by asking Congress for a change in the definition.

Firearm Frame or Receiver

That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel. 27 CFR § 478.11.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

I believe on the FNC, which looks similar to an AR, the upper is the receiver. GARY.
Skoll

Post by Skoll »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 am There are a lot of guns that have two serialized parts...I have a Kimmel arms lower receiver ( think Tech 9 ) on an AA arms tube upper.... Both have numbers .
Which guns are these? I've not heard of two parts of the gun being considered the firearm before this. I meant that more in other guns beside you example.
"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."
ss1

Post by ss1 »

This is interesting. I’ve always thought it was a little inconsistent but then firearms come in all different designs. Like the AR, my Ruger MkIII has the grip, FCG on the frame, but the bolt, upper housing and barrel is the serial numbered part. A mp5 pistol is really the same except for the addition of a mag well, yet the upper is also the serial numbered part. Then there’s the Sig P320 where the FCG is the only serialized part because it serves as the frame.
Last edited by ss1 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:43 am I believe on the FNC, which looks similar to an AR, the upper is the receiver. GARY.
The ATF did a lot of hemming and hawing before settling on that.

The problem is the law:

27 CFR 478.11 - Meaning of terms.
Firearm Frame or Receiver

That part of a firearm which provides housing for the hammer, bolt or breechblock, and firing mechanism, and which is usually threaded at its forward portion to receive the barrel. 27 CFR § 478.11.

So part of the AR-15 receiver is in the lower and part in the upper.

The ATF has had this problem before with the FNC. It is either too stupid or too lazy to ask for a change in the law or revise its registration scheme. The ATF is also too stupid to ask the question: "Why do we bother? Are we really preventing any crimes by registering and tracking firearms "frames and receivers"? Did this provision of the GCA of 1968 really do anything except waste a lot of agents time and federal and private money?
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Skoll wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:50 am
rentprop1 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:30 am There are a lot of guns that have two serialized parts...I have a Kimmel arms lower receiver ( think Tech 9 ) on an AA arms tube upper.... Both have numbers .
Which guns are these? I've not heard of two parts of the gun being considered the firearm before this. I meant that more in other guns beside you example.
I shouldn't have said " a lot " there are a handful, thats the only one I have, but the Silencer co Maxim has 2 serial numbers 1 for the gun and 1 for the silencer