Can I make U Turn on Turnpike rest stop?

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

jaytwillerham wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:25 pm It depends if your car can out accelerate 80mph traffic.
or you simply wait till its safe to pull out, might be 5 min, but everyone is too impatient :roll:

years ago I had a flat somewhere on the TPK just north of the lake , while waiting for the Road Ranger I noted several times where I could have walked back and forth or played hop scotch in the road where there was no cars passing, its always when you want to pull out or need to there is traffic.... :mrgreen:

back when I worked for the trucking co I had that orange strobe light on the truck and used to use the police only spots all the time for u-turns, just like the garbage and grass contractors do....
Cubanstang50

Post by Cubanstang50 »

Tenzing_Norgay wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:31 pm
Cubanstang50 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:35 am I make u turns on the police only openings if i have to.
Hopefully you're kidding. Remember the 4 kids who got splatted down here a year or two ago trying that?
Hmmm no, not kidding. I have done it alone and will only do it with no traffic comming my way.
wjbarricklow

Post by wjbarricklow »

If worse comes to worse and you can’t accelerate to get up to speed of the traffic, cross the road, then wait for a spot to come up in the right lane.

It’s not like there isn’t a safe way to do it. Cops do it all day long.

The signs say “official use only”, so I make sure to declare out loud “I am officially making this U turn!” :lol:
Iosef

Post by Iosef »

In over half a century of driving in Florida, I don't think I've ever been on the turnpike. I'm not even sure where it is. Obviously it doesn't go to anyplace I wanted to go :-)

That said, I've used police turn arounds quite a few times over the years, on the interstates. Getting back into traffic works much better on a sport bike than in a P/U towing a boat. As my biker buddies used to say, "Never follow Joe. He always takes the scenic route."
Tenzing_Norgay

Post by Tenzing_Norgay »

Iosef wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 pm In over half a century of driving in Florida, I don't think I've ever been on the turnpike. I'm not even sure where it is. Obviously it doesn't go to anyplace I wanted to go :-)
- I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you... -
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

WTF is First Coast expy ?

Is that 301 from Starke to I-10 ?....sure as hell isnt an expressway at 35 mph thru Starke and Lawtey

The northern part of that road about 25 miles north of I-10, up thru Calahan all the way to I-95, is all brand new 4 lane and 60 mph...I think that map is off
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

I was on it Sunday coming home from Georgia. Google Maps was calling it the Cecil Commerce Parkway. Ran south from I-10 along the east side of Camp Blanding through some brand new developments named after the trees they cut down to build houses. Dumped out on SR21, which took me on the south side of Blanding, through Keystone Heights and Melrose, jogged south again on another road that dumped me out on 301 near Hawthorne, south of Starkey & Waldo. Then down 301 to just north of Ocala and over to 75. Not a bad way at all to cut the corner off the 95-10-75 route.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Iosef wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 pm In over half a century of driving in Florida, I don't think I've ever been on the turnpike. I'm not even sure where it is. Obviously it doesn't go to anyplace I wanted to go :-)

That said, I've used police turn arounds quite a few times over the years, on the interstates. Getting back into traffic works much better on a sport bike than in a P/U towing a boat. As my biker buddies used to say, "Never follow Joe. He always takes the scenic route."
I avoid toll roads, WTF aren't the excise taxes enough?
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

flcracker wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:07 am I was on it Sunday coming home from Georgia. Google Maps was calling it the Cecil Commerce Parkway. Ran south from I-10 along the east side of Camp Blanding through some brand new developments named after the trees they cut down to build houses. Dumped out on SR21, which took me on the south side of Blanding, through Keystone Heights and Melrose, jogged south again on another road that dumped me out on 301 near Hawthorne, south of Starkey & Waldo. Then down 301 to just north of Ocala and over to 75. Not a bad way at all to cut the corner off the 95-10-75 route.
what was the cost ??
for the full length
flcracker

Post by flcracker »

rentprop1 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:02 pm what was the cost ??
for the full length
Free. The toll machines weren't turned on yet. It's a brand new road.
....and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!
Saint Ronan's Well - Sir Walter Scott, Bart. (1824)