Polk woman on phone with 911 operator 20 minutes & never rescued from fire

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
lakelandman

Polk woman on phone with 911 operator 20 minutes & never rescued from fire

Post by lakelandman »

https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-county/f ... 1763215300

POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) - The family of a woman who died in a Polk County fire wants to know why she didn't make it out alive.

"I think my house is on fire, and I'm here alone and I'm on a walker," Loretta Pickard can be heard telling a 911 dispatcher.

Pickard's log home along Rockridge Road in North Lakeland was filling with smoke.

"It's like unbelievable," Loretta's sister Linda Weckle told 8 On Your Side. "It's like I got a hole in my heart."

Loretta died in the fire on November 23, 2018, five days before her 77th birthday.

Now her family is trying to figure out why she didn't make it out alive.

"The steps went right up to the door where she was sitting waiting for help. She was 5 feet away from the door. It's also frustrating that she was never asked how close are you to a door? She’s being told [during the 911 call] you’re ok, they’re coming to get you, they’re here. She heard them there. She thought it was just going to be moments before they walked in, save the day and everything would be ok. She was trying to wait for the people that were supposed to save her life and they never came," said Loretta's niece Amber Addison.

8 On Your Side learned that firefighters had to wait for a second crew to arrive for water.

Deputy County Manager Joe Halman Jr. said in the meantime first responders tried to rescue Loretta, but couldn't make it around the home.

"At one point they went around the house and the fire was so hot did they kind of got singed themselves in an effort to try to rescue this lady," Halman said.

"If it wasn't too hot for her to be in there and be alive then how is it too hot for them to be able to walk around the outside?" Addison questioned.

Loretta managed to stay on the phone and talk to the 911 dispatcher for 12 minutes after hearing sirens.

"Ms. Pickard? Hello?" the dispatcher said as Loretta took her final breaths.

The family believes the dispatcher also needed to try harder to convince Loretta to leave the home.

"She was never asked how close are you to a door? Can you open a door? They would have seen her and surely they would’ve went up and grabbed her," Addison said.

The family contends that the house was not fully engulfed when firefighters arrived, yet Loretta was never rescued.

911 call inside

Radio recording outside
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

Unbelievable, I don’t know what happened, wasn’t there but have to believe there’s a breakdown somewhere. It seems to be on 911 operators shoulders, did they inform FD that someone was inside and on the phone with them?
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Clyde621 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:07 pm Unbelievable, I don’t know what happened, wasn’t there but have to believe there’s a breakdown somewhere. It seems to be on 911 operators shoulders, did they inform FD that someone was inside and on the phone with them?
Miami_JBT

Post by Miami_JBT »

Oh boy
Communism - 20th Century Mass Murder Champions
R.I.P. Edward Avila - AR15.COM Founder
Check out my gun blog - https://www.newwavefirearms.com
Florida State Director for Gun Owners of America - Join GOA
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

[youtube]pXYhn7L5y8s[/youtube]
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

Great now the taxpayer gets to fork over 38K for private investigation over this seems like it could be done in house and taken care of quicker.
https://patch.com/florida/lakeland/prob ... land-woman
Clyde621

Post by Clyde621 »

Yeah, a good way to spend tax payers money. You could get a group of experienced pros from surrounding area and get the same results for probably the forth of the price.
Chigger

Post by Chigger »

Gotta love affirmative action.
jimmac

Post by jimmac »

Had to wait for water? WTF
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms, add a bag of Doritos, and we have a picnic.
It's a beautiful day, watch some idiot come along and screw it up.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER, RETIRED FIRE LIEUTENANT. FORMER AUX POLICE OFFICER, FORMER POLICE COMMISSIONER
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Really hoping the 911 operators second question after "Is anyone else in the house" was "can you get out of the house?"