Beware--USPS Informed DElivery

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Gmountain

Beware--USPS Informed DElivery

Post by Gmountain »

Are you guys aware of USPS informed delivery? The post office will take pictures of your mail each day and send you pictures of all the mail getting delivered to your address that day. (As a fringe benefit...sarcasm...the government will now be able to see everything you get delivered).

Any, to get this, all a person has to do is sign up and give an email address. Any crook could sign up with your street address and their email and then they will be able to see what you are getting that day. They could then steal your mail. Or they could see your mail is not getting delivered because you are on vacation and rob your home.

You can opt out though. You can tell the USPS that you do not want this, and block your mailing address from any "informed delivery" accounts or email adresses.

The post office wants people to do this. I say just bring me the mail. We opted out.

Here is the link https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/p ... art.action
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

They take pictures of everyone's mail no matter what, and they're kept in a database for a top secret amount of time. Been doing it for quite a few years now. You know, because of terrorists.
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

The USPS says consumers can request that no accounts be allowed for their address by calling USPS Technical Support at 1-800-344-7779.

It was a pain. You wait on hold for a long time, and when they answer you tell them you want your address blocked. They say someone will contact you by phone or email confirming they have blocked your address. It took two weeks for us to get the confirmation.
zeebaron

Post by zeebaron »

It's done as a national security intelligence thing, you can block a normal person from viewing it...sure.
lakelandman

Post by lakelandman »

I sign up for it and like it because now I know what mail I should be getting the down side is I hear that if you don't sign up for it scammers will sign you up pretending to be you and now they know when to strike at your mail box for the important letters.
Everybody's got a plan until they get hit.
P5 Guy

Post by P5 Guy »

Can't scammers just go, fill out a card and have your address changed, no ID required?
Taco

Post by Taco »

zeebaron wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:01 pm They take pictures of everyone's mail no matter what, and they're kept in a database for a top secret amount of time. Been doing it for quite a few years now. You know, because of terrorists.
There is a legitimate reason why the pictures are taken. The letter is barcoded and the image is snapped. Immediately the OCR starts working on the zip code first in order to get the letter sorted into the right general area. After that, it can go through the much slower task of determining the full address and assigning that to the barcode. When the letter moves through local sorting facilities it can be finely sorted without needing to go through that step. Additionally, if any part of the letter fails the OCR and requires a human, it does not have to be pulled off the line, it can just loop around until the human has entered the address.

The post office has decided since they're taking the pictures anyway, might as well share them. It's a big help to me as I'm constantly getting and redistributing my neighbor's mail. It's nice to know I've received all of mine.

I can't speak to the long-term storage or later use...
tector

Post by tector »

I get almost no mail at this point other than junk mail, at least at home. This is like telling me the government is keeping tabs on my 8-track tapes.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
BerettaRacer

Post by BerettaRacer »

I regularly travel for extended purposes for work (Marine Engineer), so I get no mail at home. For over 30yrs now I use a mail service that collects all my mail, sign for packages, and forward that mail to me anywhere in the world when ever I choose.
I'll tell you what rule we applied sir.
We applied rule 303.
We caught them and we shot them under rule 303!

Harry "Breaker" Morant
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

This is a great service......for someone (gubment) that's to know who MIGHT have guns...get Bass Pro ads? Might have a gun! Bought anything from ANY outdoor or gun related site and get an ad/Guns and Ammo (or any other mag) subscription? You MOST LIKELY have a gun! NRA membership? You DEFINITELY have a gun! So do t worry about "registering" those puppies.....they (and now we know anyone else) ALREADY KNOW you have them! Scary!