Language. Always a tough subject

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
n0rlf

Language. Always a tough subject

Post by n0rlf »

Ok, I am a Marine and a sailor. I have a potty mouth. I am no prude. However, we have received complaints. I have to agree that the language had gotten a little out of hand as of late.

We have members complaining about wives and children seeing some of this. So, I am not the guy you want to be moderating posts based on language. It seems to me then any board that gives a little winds up pretty much going downhill. What it comes down to is that as a community we have to decide what we want to have. Some want no moderation, others want more. Not my call.

I personally tend to agree with the watch your language crowd for various reasons. Others viewing the sight, wives, children, and other members. The media and anytime will have a field day with it. Personally, I tend to swear pretty badly. But I also tend to self censor when needed. Work, church, in public, and such.

So you tell me FSN family, what do you want. If we are going to clean up and attract other, new, members we have to determine if we can behave and speak decently. So let's hear it, much as I hate to give me the feedback.

However if all you have to offer is to say people should just grow up and put their big boy undies on then don't bother. We want honest, real feedback. I think an occasional harsh word does not hurt. Foul, blatant, or downright nasty is different.

So do we put the censorship features in place or practice community policing? Or something a little in between?
Skeezix

Post by Skeezix »

Although I am a big fan of letting adults police themselves, that just does not work.
There are too many folks that like to see how far they can go.
So do what you must.
JMHO. :|
GunsandHoses

Post by GunsandHoses »

Feel the same as skeezix. If the name of the game is to attract more people, sometimes you gotta have rules! Most forums do! Then again, this isn't "most" forums which is what i like about it!
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Why even bring this up? This isn't a child site and grown ups shouldn't get to butt hurt to hear an occasional cuss word if one is warranted. There are tons of lurkers on this site, just not as many posters. Don't really think it has any bearing on membership or posts. Who are these members that are complaining and why to you? Maybe they should make their own post...
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

I knew this was gong to get nasty my grandchildren look up to me and use me as an example of the way people civily talk to one another and the obscene language offends me, outgun u my 9 year grandson enjoys firearms and reading posts on this site, no longer allowed on here, when he comes over with his iPad and asked me the meaning of "cunt" and points it out, yea it pisses me off royally, let's not play mind games we are all adults calling people out who complained that's pure unadulterated BS, you wanna be a real hero quit using obscenities there is no need for it, I made a promise to the administrator of this site that I'd calm down and not insult people by calling them names when I lose patience with their dump posts, I know some of ya don't give a rats arse what I think, so be it, I know of three people, one introduced me to FSN a heavy contributor that is no longer here for this reason, we are losing some senior people because the occasional posters have nothing of value to say, if we decide to continue on this road we'll lose more good people, to the op that called me out yes I was one who spoke to the moderator, don't ever call me out here or on the street it isn't in my DNA to put up with nonsensical crap ill confront ya....

Peace and tranquility
Last edited by trouter3 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
trouter3

Post by trouter3 »

Also to nOrif, took intestinal fortitude to bring this subject to the forefront have much respect for you .....whatever the end result thank you. .....
tector

Post by tector »

Didn't there used to be a choice of seeing censored language (default) and uncensored (by opting out)? Is that functionality no longer available?
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Trouter3, have you considered that some of your insane rants/posts are maybe worse than a cuss word that your grandson might see? Furthermore, we are all aware of your service as you mention it often and it's getting old, just remember, many of us have served in war zones and would never try to impress others with statements like you make. If your grandson is on the internet maybe you should explain the words to him since there is much worse to read and see. Think I'm going to put you in the same category as I did Gladesgirl and ignore anything you write. Take your meds.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I'm on my phone so I'm not even going to try to quote individuals but I'll point out a couple interesting observations.

Your 9 year-old did not learn swear words from FSN ....if he did you've got bigger problems

This is a gun form, while all ages may enjoy firearms, this network isnt about cooking, nitting or toys and while we don't have many posters under the age of 18 or females blame it on whatever you want ...but foul language is not why they dont participate.

As it was said in another thread that forms are going downhill with the rise of social media, you old guys may think that you're all we have left and we should bend over or cater to you....but that does not apply to the younger internet generation.... this isn't Moose Lodge or the American Legion ....but both of those places, you can hear more curse words in an hour then you could read on FSN in a week.

I don't want to use get with the times as an excuse but there are more curse words and sexual material including LGTBQ situations on Primetime TV. We already dont do nudity , even a girls with gins thread , why the hell not ?....its always been no nips , no lips.

If you have to complain to a moderator about someone swearing I'm not sure you really fit in with the crowd that we have here.... so I guess if no one speaks up you'll get your way and FSN will end up the "whole world's going to revolve around you " and your......cuss free zone ....enjoy your club gents :roll:

I'm sure I'll have more to say tomorrow but I've had a long day..... I'm going to have to get rid of my part-time girl anybody need a part time job in the gun shop.... we curse and complain, look at almost naked gn bunnies, and drink at the end of the work day......hell come to think of it why do I waste my time on FSN anymore ..??
trouter3 wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:13 pm I knew this was gong to get nasty, I m a combat veterans who spent 19 months in jungles of south east Asia, wounded four times, captured and escaped once and spent 30 months in rehab,my name appears in books and Proud of it, so I've earned the right to voice my opinion, have you? my grandchildren look up to me and use me as an example of the way people civily talk to one another and the obscene language offends me, outgun u my 9 year grandson enjoys firearms and reading posts on this site, no longer allowed on here, when he comes over with his iPad and asked me the meaning of "cunt" and points it out, yea it pisses me off royally, let's not play mind games we are all adults calling people out who complained that's pure unadulterated BS, you wanna be a real hero quit using obscenities there is no need for it, I made a promise to the administrator of this site that I'd calm down and not insult people by calling them names when I lose patience with their dump posts, I know some of ya don't give a rats arse what I think, so be it, I know of three people, one introduced me to FSN a heavy contributor that is no longer here for this reason, we are losing some senior people because the occasional posters have nothing of value to say, if we decide to continue on this road we'll lose more good people, to the op that called me out yes I was one who spoke to the moderator, don't ever call me out here or on the street it isn't in my DNA to put up with nonsensical crap ill confront ya....

Peace and tranquility
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Outgunu wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:41 pm Trouter3, have you considered that some of your insane rants/posts are maybe worse than a cuss word that your grandson might see? Furthermore, we are all aware of your service as you mention it often and it's getting old, just remember, many of us have served in war zones and would never try to impress others with statements like you make. If your grandson is on the internet maybe you should explain the words to him since there is much worse to read and see. Think I'm going to put you in the same category as I did Gladesgirl and ignore anything you write. Take your meds.
Hes probably bucking for that open seat as mod. :roll:

We already created a monster IMHO