Language. Always a tough subject

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tector

Post by tector »

1. There is a fuckload of fine literature larded with swearing--that is a red herring.

2. Conflating swearing with racist things like dropping the N word is bullshit--quit trying to hid behind that. If you go over to FB, people curse all over the place, without consequence--so even Zuckerberg & Co., who LOVE to censor, know the score on the real world. Drop the N word, at least in a plainly insulting manner, and you will go on vacation. It is treated as a fighting words exception, basically.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

tector wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 pm Didn't there used to be a choice of seeing censored language (default) and uncensored (by opting out)? Is that functionality no longer available?
I don't remember this. Let me check it out.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

still waiting for someone to post up the link to Mo Bamba lyrics :mrgreen: , this was recently played at several NBA games instrumental version, and the crown just sang....kids, women, old, crippled and all in the audience
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

Greg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 am 550 members is all FSN 2.0 has now. An insanely low number that needs to be brought up.
What it shows me is that we have 550 active members. It is plenty.
Legio
Site Admin

Post by Legio »

NorincoKid wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 am Wasn't there a profanity filter before the forum wen't down? I thought I remembered seeing that as an option somewhere in the user CP.
I personally hate the filters. It just censor 1 word, so what ? It is not the word that counts, but the spirit behind the use of this word.
tector

Post by tector »

Legio wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am
Greg wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:39 am 550 members is all FSN 2.0 has now. An insanely low number that needs to be brought up.
What it shows me is that we have 550 active members. It is plenty.
Obviously we used to have a lot more LISTED members before the crash--but some of those were dead, and many others might as well have been. I mean people who had not participated since the Bush administration were still listed. I doubt the active membership is much different now than a year ago--from 10 years ago, pre-FB and other social media, sure.
“Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.”
NorincoKid

Post by NorincoKid »

Legio wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:56 am
NorincoKid wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 am Wasn't there a profanity filter before the forum wen't down? I thought I remembered seeing that as an option somewhere in the user CP.
I personally hate the filters. It just censor 1 word, so what ? It is not the word that counts, but the spirit behind the use of this word.
It was my understanding from the OP that the "women and children" were being offended by curse words, not the spirit behind them.
Outgunu

Post by Outgunu »

Original whiner T......3, appears to be a guy named Paul who used to post on a fishing website( Hasn't posted there for years though). He seemed like a calm, normal guy on there, but did mention his grand-kids and how that site needed to get their membership up etc., like he does on here. Also looks like he never mentioned all the military BS that he continuously brings up on here and he didn't have any of the crazy rants that he has here. He also used the occasional cuss word himself. It now has me wondering what has happened to this guy during the past three years to make him like he is now? Is he a troll, full of crap, or have head problems...
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

the knee replacement thread shows obvious signs :roll:
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Outgunu wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm Original whiner T......3, appears to be a guy named Paul who used to post on a fishing website( Hasn't posted there for years though). He seemed like a calm, normal guy on there, but did mention his grand-kids and how that site needed to get their membership up etc., like he does on here. Also looks like he never mentioned all the military BS that he continuously brings up on here and he didn't have any of the crazy rants that he has here. He also used the occasional cuss word himself. It now has me wondering what has happened to this guy during the past three years to make him like he is now? Is he a troll, full of crap, or have head problems...
That cant possibly be the same guy!

That's like Mr Rogers "Welcome to the neighborhood! Will you be my friend?" turning into Randy "Macho Man" Savage.