New to selling gun: Advice needed

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
tcpip95

New to selling gun: Advice needed

Post by tcpip95 »

I've bought a number of guns online. Pretty straightforward. Never sold one before, but I'm sure it's more complicated than eBay.

I'm looking to sell my Ruger Mini 30 rifle. If I sell it in FL:

1. Can I just do a face-to-face cash transaction?
2. Do I need to do anything through an FFL?
3. Is there any background checking that I need to do on the buyer?
4. Can I go through PayPal for gun sales?

Thanks for your patience in asking my noob questions.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

1 Yes.
2 No.
3 No.
4 I wouldn’t.
GARY.
REDinFL

Post by REDinFL »

Agreed with above, though I would be more of an emphatic "NO!" with PayPal unless it's someone you know. Paypal prohibits gun sales. If they find out it's a gun they'll freeze the amount. If you use an alternate word, as so many do, such as "Television", a stranger/potential wise guy can say he never got it. Then the dance begins. No substitute for cash unless it's someone you successfully have dealt with before.

As far as background check, just ask to see Florida ID/drivers license. This is to protect you against a federal trap: you can only sell to a resident of your state. I have not heard of any sting like this happening but, consider that it is the law and a simple possibility, You have no obligation to check further. Also, depending on county, you may be required only to sell to someone with a CWL if in a place open to the public. Another case I've never heard happening but it can, and the law is on the side of the law. Just self-protection, and very simple.
Last edited by REDinFL on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a Single Star.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Should I ask for a copy of a drivers license - just in case something were to happen down the road with that firearm?
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

tcpip95 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:38 pm Should I ask for a copy of a drivers license - just in case something were to happen down the road with that firearm?
Bill of sale is probably more practical to ask for
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

JonathanW wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:40 pm
tcpip95 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:38 pm Should I ask for a copy of a drivers license - just in case something were to happen down the road with that firearm?
As the seller I would definitely get/give a bill of sale, or are you talking about something else?
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

tcpip95 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 pm
As the seller I would definitely get/give a bill of sale, or are you talking about something else?
Nope that’s it, that way you have recorded information of the person for future reference. People may be hesitant to give a copy of their driver license as it has their address on it
jwperry

Post by jwperry »

JonathanW wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:50 pm
tcpip95 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Nope that’s it, that way you have recorded information of the person for future reference. People may be hesitant to give a copy of their driver license as it has their address on it
Agreed. Pretty sure that's how my identity got stolen, was after a FTF that I gave a copy of my DL. Now I don't care to sign a bill of sale and any seller who requires one basically kills the sale for me.

If you conduct the negotiation via email, there's really no need. After a meeting I have a clear chain of custody that shows I delivered the item, I'll generally have their phone number, physical description and description of their vehicle. I'll ask to see a DL, but just to make sure they're a Florida resident. Had one guy once who had a Florida CC permit, but was a GA resident.

If "something were to happen" a BoS protects me against civil liability as much as that other information, i.e. it doesn't.
Gmountain

Post by Gmountain »

I'll ask to see a CCW, if I don't know them personally. Then trade gun for cash. Everyone drives away.
tcpip95

Post by tcpip95 »

Another question: When you do a face-to-face transaction, where do you go? I have read that it's best to do it in a public place, or even out in front of a local police station. Any thoughts on this?