My Patent just got approved

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

ATF regulations and the law only cover manufacturing for sale. Unless its FA you can build a firearm for your own use with zero regulatory impact. (Selling it later is legal as long as that wasn't the initial reason for building it).

Years ago the ATF was harassing gunsmiths for "building" sporting rifles, demanding they get an 0, but retreated from that legally untenable position.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-in ... rsonal-use
Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. .....

BTW I sincerely hope your patent does better than my 2 old patents - for VSTOL aircraft designs, one joint with Grumman.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

jjk308 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 am ATF regulations and the law only cover manufacturing for sale. Unless its FA you can build a firearm for your own use with zero regulatory impact. (Selling it later is legal as long as that wasn't the initial reason for building it).

Years ago the ATF was harassing gunsmiths for "building" sporting rifles, demanding they get an 0, but retreated from that legally untenable position.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/does-in ... rsonal-use
Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use?

No, a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use. However, a license is required to manufacture firearms for sale or distribution. .....

BTW I sincerely hope your patent does better than my 2 old patents - for VSTOL aircraft designs, one joint with Grumman.
The design is a Suppressor so it’s regulated under NFA so I have to get approval(almost a year wait) for each item I make so that’s why I’m curious if a manufacturing license may be easier long term. The gun portion is no biggie but the Suppressor is a huge plus to the functionality of the gun design
Taco

Post by Taco »

jjk308 wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:02 am ATF regulations and the law only cover manufacturing for sale. Unless its FA you can build a firearm for your own use with zero regulatory impact. (Selling it later is legal as long as that wasn't the initial reason for building it).

That's true, but it would be difficult to defend that you came up with a design for personal use and patented it without the intent to use the patent for profit- profits for inventors is why patents exist.

At what point are you a business and require all that goes along with it? To me it's clear on both sides but that line is very grey and blurry.
jjk308

Post by jjk308 »

Taco wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:23 am

That's true, but it would be difficult to defend that you came up with a design for personal use and patented it without the intent to use the patent for profit- profits for inventors is why patents exist.

At what point are you a business and require all that goes along with it? To me it's clear on both sides but that line is very grey and blurry.
As long as you don't sell any, just use them for your own testing, you are OK, as long as you jump through the NFA hoops for personal use. Sell them and you really need an 07. Not gray and blurry at all and the ATF does not hand out points or gold stars for extra work following regulations generated by your fears.

The ATF definition https://www.atf.gov/file/11241/download

Engaged in the business—(a) Manufacturer of firearms. A person who devotes time, attention, and labor to manufacturing firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the sale or distribution of the firearms manufactured.
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Received my ribbon copy of my patent

rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

congrats
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Congratulations young man.If more young people were like Jonathan we'd be way better off.
Three can keep a secret.......if two are Dead !
photohause

Post by photohause »

Wow-quite an accomplishment, congratulations!
“You didn’t finish school, did you?
JonathanW

Post by JonathanW »

Thanks for the nice comments
Grip Hugger

Post by Grip Hugger »

Best of luck with your future endeavors Johnathan!
The shooter formerly called #1Glock30