Selling on Consignment

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
41 Mag

Selling on Consignment

Post by 41 Mag »

I have a few AR's I'm considering selling on consignment. LGS takes 10% and of course the customer has to fill out a 4473 which I believe limits my liability. I have never done it before and wanted to know the Pros and Cons of selling this way?

Thoughts ?
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Pro. You get much more for the gun instead of taking a big hit. Con. You must wait for the gun to sell before you get the cash. It’s great as long as you don’t need to get the $ today. GARY.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

10% commission is great!

The standard is usually 20% and I've seen worse.

Like Gary said, plan on waiting a while, and probably a good while to sell if you're talking ARs.

Its also considered very bad manners to get impatient and pull a gun back from a consignment deal.

Not to mention most of the time a consignment gun goes on the books and you have to jump through all the regular hoops to get it back.

As long as you're willing to be patient and wait for a phone call that might take months,consignment is a great way to sell guns.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Open a GunBroker account and sell them yourself if anything you'll get a real eye-opening experience as to what the market is really like on a AR's right now.

This Black Friday we will definitely see some $400 ARS so every idiot that's going to message you about your $800 gun is going to only want to pay that low end rate

We do 20% in our shop mainly because GunBroker takes about eight and a half percent of that I don't know how anyone can survive selling them and actually moving them at 10% I guess they're hoping someone just going to walk in off the street and buy it out of the shop which means it will probably never sell
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 pm I guess they're hoping someone just going to walk in off the street and buy it out of the shop which means it will probably never sell
When I worked at Palm Beach Shooting Center in Lake Worth, that’s exactly what would happen. Guns were sold on consignment to people who’d walk in off the street. Nothing was listed online. Most decent guns would sell within a month. GARY.
41 Mag

Post by 41 Mag »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 pm
rentprop1 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:11 pm I guess they're hoping someone just going to walk in off the street and buy it out of the shop which means it will probably never sell
When I worked at Palm Beach Shooting Center in Lake Worth, that’s exactly what would happen. Guns were sold on consignment to people who’d walk in off the street. Nothing was listed online. Most decent guns would sell within a month. GARY.
That's what I'm afraid of, that they won't ever sell for anything close to what I have into them. Very small shop run as a hobby in Plant City. 10% on consignments and $10 on transfers. Obviously foot traffic is not like Shoot Straight or Shooter's World so that's a concern.
TC6969

Post by TC6969 »

Whats the name of this place?
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Not a good time to be selling pre owned AR’s now. With prices of new ones being the lowest ever, you might not be able to get what you want. I’ve had great success buying, & selling a few guns on this forum. GARY.
chester field

Post by chester field »

41 Mag wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:19 pm Very small shop run as a hobby in Plant City. 10% on consignments and $10 on transfers. Obviously foot traffic is not like Shoot Straight or Shooter's World so that's a concern.
Might do the lower consignment % just to have more to look at in the shop.
Common Sense... so rare it's like a super power
Molivo

Post by Molivo »

N4KVE wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:30 pm Not a good time to be selling pre owned AR’s now. With prices of new ones being the lowest ever, you might not be able to get what you want. I’ve had great success buying, & selling a few guns on this forum. GARY.
This. Plan on getting about 33% of retail value