Question? Hussein's Glock 18c

If it doesn't fit in any of the other forums, post it here!
Allme

Question? Hussein's Glock 18c

Post by Allme »

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find the answer: Was the Glock 18c (a clearly NFA item) demilled before it was presented to Bush or how exactly is a citizen allowed to possess a NFA item without jumping through all the hoops that everyone else would have to? Has this been answered? Please advise w/ references. Thanks.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/us/06gun.html
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Special people, special rules.

And even if you did charge him with an NFA violation, presidential pardon.
Taco

Post by Taco »

First, this is outside my area, not legal advice and not an expert. I know enough to stay away...

Now to the speculation...

As commander of the armed forces, I think he's able to have anything the military has... Post-presidency, don't think he would be able to register a FA firearm or keep an unregistered FA. Perhaps it is still government property...

But if it's not, I think there are two parts, the switch and the seer reset and catch bypass thing- since I don't know what it's called so lets call that the doodad.

I think you can pull out the doodad and your switch doesn't do anything but make it look cool- kinda like a printed <<< on an AR receiver. So I think it could look like that and be a legal SA.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

lots of presidents have received gifts of fully auto weapons over time, they almost all go into a " LIbrary " :roll: or some other bull shit, and just like most other Museum display guns... they are made inoperable
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Taco wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 pm First, this is outside my area, not legal advice and not an expert. I know enough to stay away...

As commander of the armed forces, I think he's able to have anything the military has... Post-presidency, don't think he would be able to register a FA firearm or keep an unregistered FA. Perhaps it is still government property...

But if it's not, I think there are two parts, the switch and the seer reset and catch bypass thing- since I don't know what it's called so lets call that the doodad.

I think you can pull out the doodad and your switch doesn't do anything but make it look cool- kinda like a printed <<< on an AR receiver. So I think it could look like that and be a legal SA.
Once a machine gun, always a machine gun, otherwise the country would be awash in converted M-16s made into legal semi autos. Given that Glocks are imported, they are covered by the 1968 machine gun ban in the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Rent is correct however about legal transfer to museums like Presidential libraries.
Taco

Post by Taco »

SteyrAUG wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:33 pm
Taco wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:26 pm First, this is outside my area, not legal advice and not an expert. I know enough to stay away...

Once a machine gun, always a machine gun, otherwise the country would be awash in converted M-16s made into legal semi autos. Given that Glocks are imported, they are covered by the 1968 machine gun ban in the Gun Control Act of 1968.

Rent is correct however about legal transfer to museums like Presidential libraries.
This is why I stay away.
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

Taco wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 am
This is why I stay away.
A word to the wise, don't stand over your mechanic and act like you know what you're talking about because they always charge you more :mrgreen:
Taco

Post by Taco »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 am
Taco wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:05 am
This is why I stay away.
A word to the wise, don't stand over your mechanic and act like you know what you're talking about because they always charge you more :mrgreen:
I billboarded with I don't know what I'm talking about. Much more than most folks on the internet.

Just learnin-
Why does the place of manufacture matter to GC86 if it was already imported?

And with the once a MG, always a MG, how could this be owned? Pull the doodad (it has to have a name), torch the receiver (even though the receiver wasn't changed), then melt the plastic back together (or grab any old 17 frame if you don't care about serials) then put the slide back on? Seems silly...

This stuff is quicksand... It's hard enough to keep track of all the intricacies of FL 790...
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

I don't know if they do dad you referring to is wjat we would call the actual sear ?

On my glock the sear is whats registered , so if I burn up the host my G17, I just put it in another gun, kind of like a registered bolt in anything from an Uzi to a 1919 if you burn up the host, you simply switch out the registered part.

The Once and mg always and mg in this case would refer to the sear being what's considered the actual mg.
Similar to a DIAS being the mg, not the host.
SteyrAUG

Post by SteyrAUG »

Taco wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am
Just learnin-
Why does the place of manufacture matter to GC86 if it was already imported?
Within the 1968 Gun Control Act is a ban on foreign machine guns being transferable. So if a HK G3 was imported in 1962 it is a transferable machine gun, but if a HK G3 was imported in 1969 is is a "dealer sample only" (ironically called a pre86 dealer sample to differentiate it from a post 1968 dealer sample). Dealer samples can only be owned and purchased by FFLs with a SOT, but they can retain pre 86 dealer samples even if they retire their license but must sell, surrender or destroy and post 86 dealer samples.

This is also why foreign SBRs like SIG 551s and suppressors are considered "pre 86 dealer samples" even though they weren't even manufactured until 1989, it has become a ATF classification where actual date of manufacture can be irrelevant.
Taco wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am And with the once a MG, always a MG, how could this be owned? Pull the doodad (it has to have a name), torch the receiver (even though the receiver wasn't changed), then melt the plastic back together (or grab any old 17 frame if you don't care about serials) then put the slide back on? Seems silly...

This stuff is quicksand... It's hard enough to keep track of all the intricacies of FL 790...
The receiver is ALWAYS a machine gun, this is why you simply can't take the parts out of a M-16 and weld up the sear hold. But if you cut the receiver to ATF specifications it is no longer a machine gun. Then if you rewelded it and had a time machine to go back before the 1986 domestic machine gun ban, you could then make it a new machine gun. In fact that is what happened to a lot of dewatts, they were re registered as machine guns but this had to be done before the 1986 MG ban found within the Firearm Owners Protection Act.

Also it's important to remember there were two machine gun bans, one in 1968 that covered imported machine guns and one in 1986 that covered domestic machine guns. And that is why all transferable MP5s on the registry are actually HK94/SP89 conversions where semi autos were registered and converted to machine guns. There are no MP5s that were manufactured "as machine guns" that were imported prior to the 1968 Gun Control Act.

This classification also makes a huge difference in price. A HK91 to G3 registered conversion will cost around $20,000 but if you can find one of the handful of factory G3 machine guns imported prior to 1968 the price will be more like $75,000.