How many Trap,Skeet,Clays shooters?

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
fla_native
BANNED

How many Trap,Skeet,Clays shooters?

Post by fla_native » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 pm

Anyone here shoot Trap,Skeet or Clays? Or am I the only one? How many of you load your own shells?

ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Re: How many Trap,Skeet,Clays shooters?

Post by ger42 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Before I moved here I shot every weekend and loaded. Got here it it was too expensive. In 2003 it cost me $2.50 for 25 birds. If I opened and closed the field and filled the machine I got 4 free rounds. I still have some tickets in my desk.
Last edited by ger42 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:33 pm

I'd like to try it... but never seem to get around to it. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_12.gif]
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

heavyzee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by heavyzee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:42 pm

i like shootin trap... not very good... but i like it... i almost had a press, but molivio got it... gotta get off the sex and onto compulsivly checking the BST... [smilie=cheers1.gif] [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]
‎[Jews] do not tend to explode on buses as a form of revenge; not even in Germany. At most we'll argue with you until you die of boredom.

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 pm

I like to, but the only shotgun shooting in my immediate area is a 5-stand range and it is only open from 10 to 2 on Sundays. It's still fun when I can get over there and shoot.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:31 pm

Used to shoot alot when I lived in Mass and in Calif.

I liked skeet better than trap and I find sporting clays humbling (especially for someone who thought he was decent at trap & skeet.) Still load my own from time to time... I have no place to shoot these games around here (Ft. Myers) so I have to wait until summer when I'm in the Blue Ridge...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

psignore00
Life Member
Life Member

Post by psignore00 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:40 pm

i prefer sporting clays, but have found myself not shooting as often as i used to. I can't see the value in reloading as long as shells are $.20/round. I get them at Walmart or when Dick's has them on sale.

ab4ka
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ab4ka » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:42 pm

I'd love to try it but the only thing I would accomplish is moving the previous last place finisher up a notch.
"A word to the wise ain't necessary, it's the stupid ones that need the advice." - Bill Cosby

Armybikos
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Armybikos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:58 pm

I shoot all three. If you are looking for a nice club I highly recommend Silver Dollar trap and skeet. http://silverdollartrap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I am lucky to live really close and it is a great facility with nice people. Full disclaimer I am a member there.

KG4ZRC

Post by KG4ZRC » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Before I moved to California I did trap and skeet... I ain't any good at it, but it was fun!

RyanHK21EOwner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by RyanHK21EOwner » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:53 pm

I shoot skeet and sporting clays once or twice a month to keep my skills up...

I reload 4 times a year on Shotshells... 2-3/4" shells / low brass...

I have a MEC 9000G from Mayville Engineering...

18 years old and still running strong...
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherphuckers in the jungle...

Vinnie357
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Vinnie357 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:05 am

Curious if any members have visited Fishhawk Clays (in Lithia). Noticed an article recently and location is not far from me. Silver Dollar also looks promising, just more of a drive. Never tried any of the sporting clay type of shooting. Looks like fun though.

psignore00
Life Member
Life Member

Post by psignore00 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:52 am

Vinnie357 wrote:Curious if any members have visited Fishhawk Clays (in Lithia). Noticed an article recently and location is not far from me. Silver Dollar also looks promising, just more of a drive. Never tried any of the sporting clay type of shooting. Looks like fun though.
I've wondered about Fishhawk too. I used to shoot sporting clays 2-3 times per month, but stopped about a year ago due to other things going on. I used to go to Deer Creek (which is now Sporting Clayos of Tampa Bay), but that's in Land-O-Lakes and was an hour drive. Fishhawk is alot closer to me too, i've just never had teh chance to try it out.

Vinnie357
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Vinnie357 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:01 am

The website on Fishhawk looks good. I'll have to see if they rent SG's. I guess I could give my 20" Mossberg a go. Currently saving up for a 22 so not ready for a proper sporting SG.

psignore00
Life Member
Life Member

Post by psignore00 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:36 am

Vinnie357 wrote:The website on Fishhawk looks good. I'll have to see if they rent SG's. I guess I could give my 20" Mossberg a go. Currently saving up for a 22 so not ready for a proper sporting SG.
Is it a Mossberg 500? If it is you can probably find a 28" barrel with screw-in chokes for $50-$75. Extra barrels are common and are in the B/S/T forum and also always posted on gunbroker, and they take less than a minute to change on the gun. That's what i did when i started shooting sporting clays, and then i saved up enough for an over under.

heavyzee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by heavyzee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:53 am

psignore00 wrote:
Vinnie357 wrote:The website on Fishhawk looks good. I'll have to see if they rent SG's. I guess I could give my 20" Mossberg a go. Currently saving up for a 22 so not ready for a proper sporting SG.
Is it a Mossberg 500? If it is you can probably find a 28" barrel with screw-in chokes for $50-$75. Extra barrels are common and are in the B/S/T forum and also always posted on gunbroker, and they take less than a minute to change on the gun. That's what i did when i started shooting sporting clays, and then i saved up enough for an over under.

yupp, thats what i do [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
‎[Jews] do not tend to explode on buses as a form of revenge; not even in Germany. At most we'll argue with you until you die of boredom.

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Pizzim
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Pizzim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:58 am

I guess you could say im trying to be a trap,skeet,clay shooter... I went once and had a great time and im chomping at the bit to go again
"you cant miss fast enough to win" " Don't slow down, Just aim faster"

Two Brothers Armory FFL 07/02
www.twobrothersarmory.com

Vinnie357
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Vinnie357 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:31 am

psignore00 wrote:
Yep - 500 Excellent idea! Also a nice way to run/smooth up the action.

psignore00
Life Member
Life Member

Post by psignore00 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:24 am

And a note from experience...

If you're weird like me, make sure you check the finnish on the barrel you're going to buy. When i bought my barrel, from some guy on here, he didn't have a pic, and i didn't realize that the 500 has been made in both blued and black parkerize, so when i swap the long barrel on i have a blued gun with a parkerized barrel. No big deal, as it still works just fine, it just bothered me that you could tell it was not the correct barrel.

oneounceload

Post by oneounceload » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:45 pm

Shoot sporting or 5-stand several times per week and yes I reload, as I can save over $2/box