How many Trap,Skeet,Clays shooters?

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Re: How many Trap,Skeet,Clays shooters?

Post by AirForceShooter » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 am

Doyle wrote:I like to, but the only shotgun shooting in my immediate area is a 5-stand range and it is only open from 10 to 2 on Sundays. It's still fun when I can get over there and shoot.

How about Sarasota skeet and trap??

http://sarasotagunclub.com/hourslocation.htm

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 pm

tlturbo wrote:I'm looking for a small, fun group to shoot with.
tlturbo wrote:I live in W Lake Worth,

I am from the area as well. Were you able to get on a schedule? I have never tried this but very curious. I would try it, if you still interested or would welcome a newbie.

Does it matters if the shotgun is an auto loader, pump or U/L? I do not have a long barrel one so I might have to invest in one, would preffer an auto loader [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

tlturbo

Post by tlturbo » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 am

Hi
I'm still looking for people to get together with and make trips to Quail Creek, Okeechobee or OK Corral. Kind of depends on what you want to shoot (skeet, trap, sporting clays). I like Quail Creek because they have a great lodge and we get a great fried quail (sometimes steak) lunch when we go. Then go back and shoot some 5 stand or wobble trap or finish the course if we didn't. Makes for a great day outing.

O/U and autos are both good. Pumps can be used but remember many times in clays they throw 2 targets at the same time and sometimes you have time between the 2 birds to pump but many times by the time you pump it, the 2nd bird is gone. I use a O/U because I like the option of having different choke tubes in each barrel but MANY really good shooters use an auto. If buying a gun, get at the minimum a 28" barrel. Many use 30 and I know several that have 32's.

Most place won't let you shoot a home defense shotgun with a short barrel and some won't allow a pistol grip gun. You can always rent a gun there too.

Newbies are NEVER a problem, we all were at some time and it's fun helping someone learn and get better.

oneounceload

Post by oneounceload » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:56 pm

Most place won't let you shoot a home defense shotgun with a short barrel and some won't allow a pistol grip gun. You can always rent a gun there too.
Exactly, pump is a tough gun to use successfully on sporting clay pairs, and a PGO is just a joke in any case. Short barrels are too loud for everyone around and the short barrel really hampers your swing on moving targets.

Shot the State sporting clays at Quail Creek - very nice place, just a little too far for me since I live north of Orlando - but for folks who like Tampa Bay and live Orlando or north, it is worth the trip to go Bradford near Gainesville
http://www.bsfshootingsports.com/

You can even bring your metallic stuff to round out the day - pistol range, 300 yard rifle range, and 850 yard long distance range

clayking

Post by clayking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:54 pm

I use to shoot a great deal of skeet and later sporting clays. Now, only a few times a year I shoot sporting clays and some five stand. In Vero there is the Indian River Trap and Skeet club, private and public with a sporting clay course, trap, skeet and five stand. Also county gun range has five stand but is adding skeet, already has five stand.

If anyone is interested, I have quite a few bags of shot that I will sell in the 35 dollar range, though I has to be face to face as shipping is a bit expensive. Also have a 20 & 410 Mec 9000g, for sale, with lots of hulls and wads to go with them. If interested PM me and we can talk price.

DoralJoe
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by DoralJoe » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 am

Got my oldest son, 17, interested in trap. On his second trip, he nailed 9,9,15,18 in that order. Not bad for hs second trip with an entry level shotgun. I'm proud of him. My second son will start next year.
SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM!!!!
-Joe

Vinnie357
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Vinnie357 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Finally got over to Fishhawk to check it out. Never shot trap/skeet/clays before so total noob. First impressions - really nice setup. I rented an O/U 12g. The gentlemen (Buzz) on site was very helpful and patient. Learned quite a few pointers from him. I stayed on the shorter sporting clays (white) course. Decided to stay at one station and just learn the process (2 throwers - one in & one outgoing). Next time I will check out some of the other stations (8). They also have a longer SC course (16 stations), trap and 5 stand...

Will I do it again? Definitely! I could see how this could become habit forming.

LR
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LR » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:29 pm

Silver Dollar is a damn good range.. one of the best in the state..

I reload all my own shotshell, 12,, 20 an .410. make my own shot,, only have to buy powder and wads and primers so it only cost me around 8 cent per shell to reload,, I stocked up on primers and powder long before the price rise,

Shot now costs anywhere from 45.00 to 50.00 for a .25 lb Bag...
US ARMY RETIRED
CCW Instructor
NRA Certified
RSO
Shotgun Instructor
FireArms Safety Instructor

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:50 pm

This year I have tried to shoot sporting 2 or 3 times a month. Glad to say my scores have improved month on month and I'm now averaging in the 40's out of 50 [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

singlestack

Post by singlestack » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:42 am

I like to go shooting once or twice a week. I enjoy all of the shotgun games.
It would be fun to get up to Gator for bunker, it's been a year since I shot that game.