SxS 12 ga Midland Gun co. help id (pics)

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
heckler65

SxS 12 ga Midland Gun co. help id (pics)

Post by heckler65 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:52 pm

I picked up a Midland Gun co. 12 ga at my local gun show last weekend, finish has been redone in Hard Chrome and the barrel has been cut down to 18". stamped Midland Gun co. Birmingham & London on the top, serial # is 6xxxx. Looking to find out any info on what model this is and curious as what date it was made also what size shells it will handle, see pics.

Last edited by heckler65 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: SxS 12 ga Midland Gun co. help id (pics)

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:32 pm

so how much did the Rev Pimp Daddy special set you back ??

I wouldn't think it would handle anything hot, those older guns were not designed for modern high dram loads
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

heckler65

Post by heckler65 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:01 pm

I got a decent deal on it, took it out today, nice shooter too..

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:43 am

Can't help with the history, but when choosing suitable ammo, remember that chambers are sized for cases that have been fired with the crimps open.
It sounds like a good find.
Enjoy.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

heckler65

Post by heckler65 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:14 am

Thanks for the info,there are no stopping points in the chambers, any length shell fits, I fired 2 3/4" shells out of it yesterday..

Glock23shooter

Post by Glock23shooter » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:56 am

what size are the barrels? Also was it polished by the previous owner or came stainless from factory like that?

heckler65

Post by heckler65 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:19 am

barrels are 18" it was redone in Hard chrome finish.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:40 am

A decent Birmingham Brit gun. here's the company history from the Doublegun BBS

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubb ... PHPSESSID=

Re: Midland Gun Co of Birmingham England [Re: Ian Nixon]
Small Bore Offline
Sidelock
Loc: Ludlow & London
Here is a brief IGC break down on the history:

Midland Gun Company was established in 1888 at 77 Bath Street, with additional premises in Price Street. The founders of the firm are not known, but their intention was to compete with others, such as BSA, for good quality economically priced machine made guns.
By 1902 the company was owned by H Ludlow England who, in that year, bought Holloway's shareholding in Holloway & Naughton.

The company may have left the Price Street works in 1890 and moved to 81 Bath Street, but in 1900 they were recorded back in Price Street (at No. 81?). These and some subsequent changes of address may reflect changes of the principal offices of the company rather than actual acquisition and disposal of premises.

In 1910 the company was recorded at 77 Bath Street, and by 1930 it had taken over the adjoining property of 76 Bath Street. It seems that by this time the factory was called the "Demon Gun Works"; the company had adopted a naked male demon as its logo (engraved on the butt plate), they applied the name "Demon" to their top grades of guns and cartridges.

At about this time (1930) the company had an office in London, and they sold a wide range of guns, pistols and shooting equipment by British (BSA rifles) and foreign manufacturers. They had a small wholesale export market, and they made components e.g. actions for the trade.

Between 1937 and 1945 the company moved to 74 Whittall Street, but it may have retained the 77 Bath Street premises.

In 1952, the company, then a shadow of its former self, was bought by Parker-Hale. Some reports say that the company traded until the early 1960s, other older reports state that Parker-Hale continued to use the Midland name on its guns up to about 1970.

Most of the Midland stuff I come across is in the mid-to-low grade but they did indeed make some very nice quality 'Demon' grade guns. I have a 12-bore hammer gun by Midland in at the moment.

They make good sound, inexpensive field guns, even in the lower grades, if you can find one in decent condition.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.