Pitting in shotgun barrel

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
rug357

Pitting in shotgun barrel

Post by rug357 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:08 pm

I was given a free Remington 870 Wingmaster barrel last night by a friend who used to use it hunting ducks in salt water march up north. Out side of the barrel looks okay but I found some pitting in the barrel with one patch about 2" long and second one about half that size. Unfortunately it's at a location where cutting it off would make the barrel under 18". So how much effect would the pitting have on the pattern? Is it something to be concerned about? I was just going to cut it at 18 1/2" and mount a bead sight on top for use on my home defense shotgun.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Pitting in shotgun barrel

Post by Doyle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Effect on pattern would likely be non-existant. The only thing I would worry about is that if the pitting is really deep then the barrel would be more likely to bulge at that point. I'd just clean/oil it and shoot.

rug357

Post by rug357 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:59 pm

Thanks and I think I agree with you. The pitting spots would be about 2-3" from the muzzle if I cut it to 18-19" so I think the pressure would be pretty low by that point. It may effect the pattern a bit but that may not be so bad for use indoors.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

rchrd.miranda

Post by rchrd.miranda » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:13 am

If I understand correctly, the pitting is about half way up the original barrel. The barrel is still pretty thick at that point. I suggest you take a little fine grade automotive rubbing compound on a rag and polish the inside of the barrel with the cleaning rod. That will ensure there are no rough edges in the barrel at the pitting location. It will also remove any surface rust. You will need to clean out the gunk with boiling water. A little blaster or other similar solvent will address the lower surface of the pitting. Then oil it well. If you cut the barrel and get a true straight cut, which is not as easy as it sounds, you are shooting with no choke at all. It is actually only the interior diameter of the barrel (whatever it may be) at that point. It will work for "home defense" with buckshot. It will also work with #6 birdshot for bunnies and grouse out to about 20 yards. I use a 20 inch I.C. deerslayer barrel for early season when there is a lot of ground cover. It's fun but the range is limited.

The previous writers were exactly right. Pitting that far back from the choke has no effect on the pattern. Modern high tensile steel is quite resilient. There is a lot to be said for clean it, oil it and use it.