New Toy; Impressed with the Vepr 12

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
drgrenthum

New Toy; Impressed with the Vepr 12

Post by drgrenthum » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Found some extra money and have never owned a shotgun. Was drooling over the Saiga 12, like the idea of easily switching mags, when I read a comment on the Vepr 12. Saw the review on truth about guns, and the Vepr 12 page on a saiga forum and I was sold. An improved Saiga that you don't need gas adjustments on or need to rock the mag in AK style, where do I sign up. Semi auto, 12 rd mag and a 25rd drum being available next month PERFECT for shooting clays, when your aim sux [smilie=011.gif]

I was a little nervous first time out as the manual says that you need to use 32g (1 1/8oz) ammo and heavier and 90% of what I was given by my FIL was 1oz. First put in some Rio 1oz target shot and it FTE 2 out of 3 shells. Disappointed but I didn't follow the book, so okay. Ran 10 magnum 1oz 3" slugs and it was amazing. I get a tickle in the unmentionables just thinking about it. Then I ran another 50 shells of random bird shot and slugs without a problem, went back to the RIO and it ran it too. I am giddy.

Thinking I need a red dot for I, but I am glad I have a shotgun now. Perhaps get it dipped at hydroprint..... [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

Famester
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Toy; Impressed with the Vepr 12

Post by Famester » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm

A friend of mine mentioned this:

http://intrepidts.com/index.html

I have not seen or tried it myself.
Semi Shotguns are a blast!

If you run into a truckload of cash, consider this:
http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm
http://www.tromix.com/images/S178inchLrg3w.jpg

Good luck!
I began revolution with 82 men. If I had to do it again, I do it with 10 or 15 and absolute faith. It does not matter how small you are if you have faith and plan of action.
Fidel Castro

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks for the review. I've had my eye on one for a while and it looks like they had a good price drop
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

305tillimoved
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 305tillimoved » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:45 pm

Easy to convert to be 922r compliant.
Once converted, take a rubber mallet to the rear stock and give it a solid whack. The weld is very light and comes off easy.

VEPRs are great shottys. Enjoy it.
"[A]nyone who was not a liberal at 20 years of age had no heart, while anyone who was still a liberal at 40 had no head."
~ Winston S. Churchill

drgrenthum

Post by drgrenthum » Mon May 05, 2014 7:40 am

Hasn't been as easy as i hoped to break the stock free, pretty much through the weld and cant get it to budge. Going to put it on my press and hope for the best.

Got a red dot and going to try for hog on Thursday.

patw
Life Member
Life Member

Post by patw » Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Man that is one huge mag.. I like the set up you have. Did the flash hider/brake come standard?

srggator

Post by srggator » Sun May 25, 2014 12:49 pm

If I can ask, what did you get if for???

JohnMeridith

Post by JohnMeridith » Sun May 25, 2014 3:56 pm

A lot of places have them for 799 right now.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:05 pm

Have you tried sgm mags for it? I've read their a pain to get then to seat properly and don't function well. Apparently the Russian vepr mags are the way to go.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Sweep

Post by Sweep » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:45 am

drgrenthum wrote:Hasn't been as easy as i hoped to break the stock free, pretty much through the weld and cant get it to budge. Going to put it on my press and hope for the best.

Got a red dot and going to try for hog on Thursday.
did you get the stock loose ? We tried to disassemble one for printing at hydroprintservices.com I will say its the first time Scott has said F this so heads up they didnt make this to be taken apart by the end user. We were talking about a twin or quad deck or pintal mount and he brought up the down falls of it when i suggested it over the Siaga , so if you get it all apart and back let us know how ya did it [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]
Democrat's for Trump ...Anybody but Hillery even Jack the Dog !
Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

drgrenthum

Post by drgrenthum » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 pm

Bringing back an oldie.

Had this a couple years now and it eats everything. Just got the drum in the picture and its too unweildy with it, but 25rds of 12ga sounds good, just very heavy and bulky. Trouble getting my arm around it for a comfortable hold. I'll have to stick to the 12 and 8 round mags.

I didn't see the post from hydroprint 2 years ago, but the funny thing is I believe it was my gun that they couldn't get apart. He messed with for 10mins and declined the job. He did coat a friend of mines glock and it came out great.

Breaking the weld wasn't too bad. I thought I had gotten all the way thorough the weld but obviously not. Tossed it in the press and it popped with little pressure. Used a bluing pen and was good to go. Atlantic had these for 800 last I looked

Took it duck hunting last year. The looks were priceless, Red dot was spot on

vjor

Post by vjor » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:52 pm

really nice, great choice on shotgun.
Both the oligarch and Tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."—Aristotle

Glock23shooter

Post by Glock23shooter » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:54 am

If i get into this kinda AK platform shotgun i will go with the VEPR, much better and cheaper than getting/building a Saiga 12 and more reliable. Also the fact that it shoots all sorts of ammo especially low brass is a big bonus in my book!