First shotgun

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
SNBRD

First shotgun

Post by SNBRD » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:12 pm

Alright then, first shotgun purchase for home defense, blowing up stuff at the range:
Benelli Nova or Mossberg 590A1 or Rem 870 TAC?
Ghost ring, bead or rifle sights for fast target acquisition?

Kory
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: First shotgun

Post by Kory » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:52 pm

Saiga 12 or verp
Kory
Tampa fl

Krozi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Krozi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Personally I prefer 870's over the Mossberg, but if you want a solid shotgun I would recommend the 590 Mosseberg. I just feel like the quality and reliability is better. Bead sight has never let me down either.
Ignorant Earth Polluter by Choice and Popular Demand.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:26 am

Front bead is fine. Large peep or ghost sight on rear is good.

And keep the full size stock on it - the pistol grips only work in the movies.

I have the mossberg. Works everytime ( unless I forget to un-safe it while chasing off the peeping toms).

And, for most folks, I think one of the best primary weapon for the home is a 45 ACP pistol. Easy to handle with one hand. No sonic crack to mess with your hearing. A full century of putting down bad guys.

Trying to handle doors and home light switches and flashlights and family members and pets with one hand while holding a big shotgun in the other hand, is very difficult.

But also everyone should have a shotgun handy, not because Uncle Joe said they are great, but because there are some zombies out there that need more stopping power than a pistol provides.
Go Trump!

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:28 pm

They're all good.
The trick is getting good with it.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:26 pm

My two cents, get a barrel with rifle sights. The bead sight only does so much for aiming
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Any of those guns would get the job done in fine fashion. Personally I have a Win 1200 with a Meprolight tritium front bead mounted on an 18.5" straight cylinder barrel. My 1200 works just fine with the Aguila mini-shells allowing me to have a couple more rounds in the tube (note not all pumps work well with the itty-bitty shells.) That front bead lights up the night on MY SIDE of the muzzle. For cross-the-room distances it works great. I doubt the BG is going to notice the difference between the Aguila shells and any other slug inside 10 yds....

All that being said is the ability to swap barrels easier with the 870 than with the Mossberg or Benelli? I have no experience with those models. If not, that might swing the advantage to the 870...

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

SNBRD

Post by SNBRD » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:32 pm

All that being said is the ability to swap barrels easier with the 870 than with the Mossberg or Benelli?

That's interesting...

The Mossberg 590A1 seems to built to withstand crazy amounts of abuse.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:46 pm

maybe start with a $ 150 New England or something to make sure your not a puss and can handle the big boy recoil [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:39 am

SNBRD wrote:... The Mossberg 590A1 seems to built to withstand crazy amounts of abuse.
Without a doubt the Mossberg is probably the most indestructible of the 3 guns (probably the heaviest too), but are you going to abuse it enough to care about that feature? My Win 1200 has kicked around since the '70's & still runs like a top (I have a few other shotguns to choose from & almost always go with my Winchester.) Others have 870's that get abused regularly & weather the treatment pretty well.

Whereas you're new to shotgunning, if I were you I would not limit myself to a single purpose gun like a 590A1. Shotguns in general are fun firearms (trap, skeet, sporting clays, hunting small game etc; i.e. moving targets). A home defense shotgun is good at what it does, but IMHO the "general purpose" shotgun would do a better job of home defense than a home defense shotgun will do as a general purpose gun. The 870 is the "barbie doll" of shotguns. The aftermarket modifications/add-ons you can do to them are endless, whereas the 590A1 is pretty much gonna stay just like it is out of the box, ugly, intimidating, built like a tank & very good at what it was made for (FWIW I have an 590A1 on my wishlist for when I have money burning a hole in my pocket & can't think of something more worthwhile.)

Allan
NRA Certified Instructor

revelation
Life Member
Life Member

Post by revelation » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:21 am

With the 590 you can get the bayonet and use it to cook meat.
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell.

SNBRD

Post by SNBRD » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:51 am

birdman wrote:
SNBRD wrote:... The Mossberg 590A1 seems to built to withstand crazy amounts of abuse.
Without a doubt the Mossberg is probably the most indestructible of the 3 guns (probably the heaviest too), but are you going to abuse it enough to care about that feature? My Win 1200 has kicked around since the '70's & still runs like a top (I have a few other shotguns to choose from & almost always go with my Winchester.) Others have 870's that get abused regularly & weather the treatment pretty well.

Whereas you're new to shotgunning, if I were you I would not limit myself to a single purpose gun like a 590A1. Shotguns in general are fun firearms (trap, skeet, sporting clays, hunting small game etc; i.e. moving targets). A home defense shotgun is good at what it does, but IMHO the "general purpose" shotgun would do a better job of home defense than a home defense shotgun will do as a general purpose gun. The 870 is the "barbie doll" of shotguns. The aftermarket modifications/add-ons you can do to them are endless, whereas the 590A1 is pretty much gonna stay just like it is out of the box, ugly, intimidating, built like a tank & very good at what it was made for (FWIW I have an 590A1 on my wishlist for when I have money burning a hole in my pocket & can't think of something more worthwhile.)

Allan
Any particular iteration of the 870 to start off with? Bead sight? pistol grip? shell capacity?

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Except for shooting slugs, sights on a shotgun aren't as important as they are on rifles and handguns.
Most shotgunning is done instinctive style, concentrating on the target instead of the gun.
Home defense use of the shotgun is similar, usually in dim or no light, when sights are of less use.
A standard, regular model, is all that's necessary to begin learning how to use one.
Spend the money on ammo and range time.
When you can spread out five clays on the bank, ten to fifteen yards away, and clean them in five seconds or less, then you can get fancy.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:09 pm

SNBRD wrote:
birdman wrote:

Allan
Any particular iteration of the 870 to start off with? Bead sight? pistol grip? shell capacity?
If it were me I'd get a "combo" gun. It comes with 2 barrels, one for flying targets and one for slugs < http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... ombos.aspx >. If you want to have more ammunition in the magazine Choate, among others offers them < http://www.midwayusa.com/product/217113 ... parkerized >. 12 gauge tends to be a bit more flexible than 20 ga, but the differences are few if you have youngsters or someone else in your life that might have difficulty handling the additional weight that comes with a 12 ga. Please note I did not say the 12 ga kicks harder as the additional weight of the gun tends to dampen the heavier "kick". It's the weight of the gun that is the major difference (more options in ammo with 12 ga too.)

The links I provided are simply examples of what's available. The longer barrel has replaceable chokes for different game or games (for instance if hunting doves or shooting skeet you'd want to use an open choke like IC (improved cylinder) whereas shooting geese or trap you'd want a full choke (or tighter). For home defense the shorter open cylinder slug barrel would be appropriate. Again the point is you have the flexibility to use one shotgun for a variety of purposes. Once you're sure what want to do, task specific shotguns might well do the task better than the general purpose or "Barbie" gun can...

Allan
NRA Certified Instructor

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 pm

The combo that's advertised in the ad is with a rifled slug barrel.
Not much good with anything other than sabot type slugs.
Any kind of shot coming out of a rifled barrel will leave a large donut type hole in the center of the pattern.
A normal smooth bore barrel with shoot plain slugs very well up to at least 50 yds.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 pm

g.willikers wrote:The combo that's advertised in the ad is with a rifled slug barrel.
Not much good with anything other than sabot type slugs.
Any kind of shot coming out of a rifled barrel will leave a large donut type hole in the center of the pattern.
A normal smooth bore barrel with shoot plain slugs very well up to at least 50 yds.
True, but at cross the room distances a buckshot pattern isn't going to open up much even with a rifled barrel. How far across the room? 30 ft max? Any distances longer than that & the slugs are the way to go anyway. OBTW what's a rifled slug going to do out of a rifled barrel? I suspect almost the same thing it would do in an IC choked tube....but I've never tried it to see.

Allan
NRA Certified Instructor