Best shotgun for turkey hunting?

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
TheProdigy

Best shotgun for turkey hunting?

Post by TheProdigy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:24 am

Hey everyone I wanted to get some of your opinions on what's the best shotgun for turkey hunting. I know that a lot of people love the Remington 870 but I just wanted to get some more feedback on the different guns on the market. Also if it will also be a fun range gun that would be a huge plus. Thanks again!
Si vis pacem, para bellum- If you want peace, prepare for war.

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Best shotgun for turkey hunting?

Post by jjk308 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 am

Any of the name brands are just fine in pump guns. Avoid stuff from anyone you've never heard of, chinese imports, or guns without a big dealer and service network, mainly because it assures you they've been a successful business and wont pull out of the US market leaving you with a shotgun turkey instead of a feathered turkey.

I'm not a big fan of autoloaders - just another thing to go wrong.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

speed_racer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by speed_racer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:18 am

My mossberg 500 has seen over 1000 shells, never once has been cleaned besides blowing air thru it to get rid of dust, and has never skipped a beat.
Onree wrote: If the law becomes nothing more than a Rubik's Cube, its just a matter of time before we all end up in cuffs.

cj5mrt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cj5mrt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 am

The 870 has been around forever for a reason. I prefer the Wingmasters. You can also get many aftermarket parts and reconfigure it anyway you'd like. You can do the same with some Mossbergs too. Just no experience with Mossberg. I've owned quite a few 870's and still have one now.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

TheProdigy

Post by TheProdigy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:31 am

I've been thinking about Mossberg or 870 I'm probably gonna go to outdoor world just to check some of the ones they have in stock and get a hands on feel with them. Taking into account the weight, length, etc.
Si vis pacem, para bellum- If you want peace, prepare for war.

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by birdman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 pm

Keep in mind the biggest advantage to a semi-auto (or double) when hunting is that the prey gets to hear only one noise before you're ready to shoot again as opposed to one noise when you miss and a second noise when you load the next round. If you go with a pump, don't miss.

Allan -- who's got a gazillion rounds down range out of a pump and a handful thru auto's & doubles.
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

Doyle
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Doyle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Turkey hunting is one place where manufacturers are definitely missing the boat on offerings. The ideal turkey barrel would be less than 20" long, threaded for choke, and camo'd. You can buy camo'd long barrels, blued short barrels with no choke threads, etc - but nobody I've ever seen offers a super short, camo'd (or even blued) barrel with choke threads.

LR
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LR » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:33 pm

I have a remington 1100 semi auto,, over 500,000 rounds through it, been shooting it since 1979, never a hiccup.. I have three barrels for it depending on what I want to shoot.. 30 inch full for turkey with number 4 shot,, get a head shot on them and no shot in the good meat..
US ARMY RETIRED
CCW Instructor
NRA Certified
RSO
Shotgun Instructor
FireArms Safety Instructor