Remington 11-48 Upgrade to a combat gun

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
Follow Me

Remington 11-48 Upgrade to a combat gun

Post by Follow Me » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Greetings to all
My Grandson has asked me if it is possible/advisable to upgrade a Rem 11-48 to a combat type shotgun. He is talking synthetic stocks by Speedfeed and Ghost Ring sight from Brownell's along with other stuff. BTW, he received the gun as a Xmas present from me. I've tried to find specific items listed as 11-48 installation items. Nothing comes up. I know Brownell's sights will work as will Sidesaddle shell carriers. But I do not know about a synthetic stock and forearm. It sure looks like a 11-87 (well almost). Close counts in grenades, horseshoes and atom bombs. Anybody have any experience with this particular weapon? If so, I would appreciate ideas and/or comments. Anything that would help in making me a hero in the knowledge department when I answer my Grandson. My last trigger pulling session was as a young Infantry Officer in VN in 1966.
May God bless and keep our troops. God bless the USA. Death to our ememies each and everyone of them.
Thanks
I Am The Infantry- Follow Me

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Remington 11-48 Upgrade to a combat gun

Post by g.willikers » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 am

It's probably going to be much easier, and less expensive in the long run, to keep the 11-48 as Gramps gave it to him and getting something else to outfit.
Mossbergs, Remingtons, or one of the popular Italians have so much available, from so many sources.

cj5mrt
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cj5mrt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:23 am

g.willikers wrote:It's probably going to be much easier, and less expensive in the long run, to keep the 11-48 as Gramps gave it to him and getting something else to outfit.
Mossbergs, Remingtons, or one of the popular Italians have so much available, from so many sources.
^This^
I'd be more inclined to find a used 870 for him to upgrade as he chooses.
I have 3 guns that belonged to my Grandfather and would never consider changing anything on them, unless it started malfunctioning.
I can explain it to you, but I cannot understand it for you.

mohshard
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mohshard » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 am

Forearm is a no-go. Stocks are a maybe. I had an 11-48 in 12ga with a 18.2" bbl, and loved it. recoil was kind of brutal, but fun. Buy an 870 or 1187 if you want a tactical wonder....

jjk308
Life Member
Life Member

Post by jjk308 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 am

Not a good candidate. it's long recoil, a development of the Browning A5 supposedly self adjusting for loadings but as moshard says, not necessarily. Forearms are impossible as its part of the recoil system.
If he doesn't want it sell it to a collector and get a good used pump gun instead.
I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Follow Me

Post by Follow Me » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Greetings to all
Thanks to you all for the cogent comments. I value the advice of younger individuals especially if they are closer to the nitty gritty than I am. And I agree with your advice. Based on what you all have collectively advised, I'm going to acquire a more recent and upgradeable semi and help my Grandson to do the selection and the buildup for what he decides upon.
Thanks again
Follow Me

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Ha, we just sound young.
This stuff will keep you that way.