shotgun shell carrier

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

shotgun shell carrier

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:28 am

looking for something to carry extra shells on my mossberg mariner. best rig to carry 4-6-8 rds on a pistol grip shotgun.

few on ebay but need something without a rail

sideplate mt. best one ??
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

rug357

Re: shotgun shell carrier

Post by rug357 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:34 pm

I have a "travel gun" which is the long gun that I throw in the back of the car when going on long road trips.
It travels with 4 rounds of 00 buck in the 6 round mag plus 6 rounds on the sidesaddle.
I also keep a shotshell pouch with 16 rounds in it.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:16 pm

I run a TacStar Side Saddle (+6) in the last 3 years I've never had any issues with it. Just make sure you loctite and torque the screws carefully so you don't crack the plastic.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 am

John K wrote:I run a TacStar Side Saddle (+6) in the last 3 years I've never had any issues with it. Just make sure you loctite and torque the screws carefully so you don't crack the plastic.
this is the kind of info im looking for
thanks
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:35 am

I use an old nylon and elastic butt stock shell holder, holds 6 made by 'Raine' IIRC. Thing has held up for some 14 years

My BIL has a TacStar he likes
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:42 am

its a pistol grip.........
im the other gary...

einstein

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 am

Mesa tactical 6 shell side saddle. It's a bit of $ but very high quality.
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cougar_guy04 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:48 pm

My Mossberg wears a 3 Gun Gear 7-shot side saddle:
http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Shotgu ... e-p24.html

So far, so good. Much better price point than the Mesa I originally wanted. On the upshot, I can take it off to save space in the safe and I could supplement it with HSGI shot shell tray or Esstac shotgun card:
http://www.hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SST&cat=39
http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Shotgun-Card-p/ess.106.htm
http://www.ravenconcealment.com/modular ... l-carriers
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

Armybikos
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Armybikos » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:04 pm

I have a few Mesa carriers on on my Benellis, and have tried the Esstac velcro carriers on one of my Mossbergs. Though the Mesa's in my opinion are the best built out there the Esstac carriers give a huge amount of flexability and a quick way to plus up the gun without having to single load the carrier. Two cards fit in one 5.56mm ammo pouch if that matters to you, and they can be stuck to any pile (furry) Velcro strips. I went to Home Depot and got some of the industrial velcro and used that. I degreased the side of the receiver and cut a notch so the serial number was exposed and then just stuck it on. The carriers just tear on and off so one you load the gun from the carrier on the side of the gun just rip the old one off and put a new fresh loaded one on the gun.

It is on a Remington but you get the idea.

2 Samuel 22

Post by 2 Samuel 22 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:38 pm

I've had both a TacStar and an ATI side saddle and both broke after shooting a couple of 3" magnum 00.

I would look at the more expensive ones like the Mesa Tactical carrier or the one made by GG&G.
"But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15

Semper Paratus - Semper Fidelis - Semper Vigilans - Soli Deo Gloria

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 am

well chit..i bought the tacstar side saddle for 25 shipped. sheap enough..hope its not a pos. mostly just a fungun so hopefully it can take a bi of good times
thanks
gary
im the other gary...

einstein

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ipscscott » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:03 am

Armybikos wrote:I have a few Mesa carriers on on my Benellis, and have tried the Esstac velcro carriers on one of my Mossbergs. Though the Mesa's in my opinion are the best built out there the Esstac carriers give a huge amount of flexability and a quick way to plus up the gun without having to single load the carrier. Two cards fit in one 5.56mm ammo pouch if that matters to you, and they can be stuck to any pile (furry) Velcro strips. I went to Home Depot and got some of the industrial velcro and used that. I degreased the side of the receiver and cut a notch so the serial number was exposed and then just stuck it on. The carriers just tear on and off so one you load the gun from the carrier on the side of the gun just rip the old one off and put a new fresh loaded one on the gun.

It is on a Remington but you get the idea.
damn, those are cool! How come I've never seen that before?
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:59 am

yeah thats dam cool. wish i had seen that frist..but ive got another shotgun that would work great on
im the other gary...

einstein

Brandon H.
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Brandon H. » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 am

What I want to know is how does it hold up after its installed and the gun has been oiled, I'm assuming the oil would start to work it's way under the sticky adhesive?

Armybikos
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Armybikos » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:25 am

That is the beauty of it, if the velcro gets too dirty or the ends start coming up just pull it off and put a new piece on. I have not have mine even start to peel up yet, but I used industrial grade velcro from Home Depot. I have also been accused of being the Exxon Valdez Captain of gun maintenance, I leave heavy coats of oil on my guns. So if you like the idea you should definetly try it out.