Info about "coach gun" needed

Over/Unders, Doubles, Pumps, Semis, Home Defense.
REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Info about "coach gun" needed

Postby REDinFL » Fri May 19, 2017 12:58 pm

I'm thinking about a 12ga. coach gun for basic HD. Decent brands? Is Norinco junk (rather not buy them anyway). How's Stoeger? Given the purpose, are extractors or ejectors better?

I'm trying to draw a balance between one cheap enough so I won't gripe when it disappears in an evidence locker, and good enough to rely on.

Thanks
Innocent until caught

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Info about "coach gun" needed

Postby Casual » Fri May 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Used 870 pawn shop special.... few bux if any on new extractor or springs and its good to go
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Postby Casual » Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 pm

But if you have to have a sxs.... stoeger double defense would be my choice
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Postby John K » Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm

+1 on the Stoeger, though for the price I'd go with a 500.

REDinFL
Contributor
Contributor

Postby REDinFL » Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I just wanted something real simple, minimal mechanism. In my situation, actually a 1911 would serve but, I don't feel like having it disappear. If I see a Stoeger, I may pick it up.
Innocent until caught

rchrd.miranda

Postby rchrd.miranda » Wed May 31, 2017 2:27 pm

For what it's worth....IMHO, there just is no better HD tool than a short pump gun. Doesn't really matter 20, 16 or 12. Doesn't matter Ithaca, Remington, Mossberg. The issue is most likely to be decided at 10 feet or less. Stop and think, the average room is 12X15, a master suite or grand open floor plan may be 20x25. throw in some furniture, take a step or two into the room and suddenly you are only several steps apart. Load it with #1 or #2 buck (you really don't want to go into the next room/house) and the wound looks like gooey hamburg. It isn't really a survivable wound if delivered center mass. The pellet spread probably will be under eight inches. Think 20-24 pellets in a space you can wrap both hands around.

Single trigger sxs won't fire the second round if the first one fails. Pumps don't have that problem. If you choose to announce yourself by racking a pump it has a definite deterrent effect. SxS is two shots. Pump is minimum of four if you left the chamber empty. More with long magazines and one in the chamber.

SxS is sexy. We all grew up think grand pa's old double barrel was pretty much the ultimate weapon. At the time it probably was. To tell the truth many a rural household had (still has) an old single shot behind the back door. But given the choice and given the economy of a used pump (or even a new express or Mossberg), I'd go that way every time.

Again, just my thoughts.....Rich

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Postby g.willikers » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:40 am

Double barrels are harder to make and have to cost more than pumps.
Hard to beat for simplicity and reliability.
But pumps from a major manufacturer have been long perfected and far more cost effective.
For home defense, if you choose the double barrel, ejectors should be faster to reload, if more than two rounds were needed.
Hard to imagine it, though.
Far more important than the choice of weapon, is the training needed to survive a home defense situation.
Any thoughts on that front?
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

Return to “Shotguns”