Taurus PT111 G2

Pistols of all descriptions.
45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Taurus PT111 G2

Post by 45caldan » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:55 am

A quick review of the Taurus PT111 G2 9mm.

1st of all I am very aware of Taurus's reputation of producing junk!
This gun has been seen as a new step up in quality for them.
They are under new management and seem to want to get things right.
ALL reviews I could find were very positive.
They have also lowered their price on these!
You can get one from between $199-$250.
I was curious and broke but wanted a truck gun or beater that I wouldn't worry about it getting "handling marks".
I handled on in person then bought it. It was the ONLY one around for miles!
I liked the grip texture and feel. It seems to be sized between a Glock 26 and 19. That's a sweet spot IMO.
The grip is thin also for a double stack (12 rds)!
I must admit I like the flutes on the slide also.
Breakdown is like Glock's.
It comes with adjustable (plastic) rear sights.
Comes with 2 mags, I wish one had a flat base...

I took it to the range today.

It's trigger has a loooong pull of mushiness till you finally arrive at the break.
Slow firing it off a rest to see how accurate or not it was, It felt like I had to apply 20#s of force...
Shooting it free hand it didn't feel as bad but the trigger is not the greatest that's for sure.
Still I managed to get a decent group at 15 yds with my own reloads using a 147 gn, JHP off the rest.
I fired 50 rds of FMJs (Perfecto) and 50 rds of my 147 JHP reloads.
No failures of any kind. Slide locked back when empty, etc.
To summarize my thoughts, I think it is a great gun when you factor in that it's less than half the price of a Glock!
If you can live with the trigger for SD use and the manual safety doesn't bug you (I just don't use it), then I think you will be happy with one of these bargain priced Tauruses.
I understand Sig P229 and P226 mags will work in this gun also. So no problem getting more mags.
I also found OEM available from Academy Sports for $29.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Taurus PT111 G2

Post by draggindakota » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:05 am

Good review! I also have one that the wife carries. Has a couple hundred completely flawless rounds through it. I agree, the trigger take up is loooong but I've shot worse. At's also considerably smaller than my M&P 9c. All in all so far it's been a great gun for the price.
Why would you want to give away any of your rights or freedoms? Just because one jack wagon doesn't have an elevator worth Andre 3000 doesn't mean that I should have my privileges taken away.

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:37 am

These will sell like hot cakes as the word gets out that this is actually a decent gun for $250 or less!

If someone comes out with a trigger upgrade (Apex?), I'd be all over it as the trigger is the only thing I don't like.
I figure even if I spend $100 on a trigger upgrade, I'd still only have $360 in the gun. Hell of a deal! Still WAY less than a Glock.

I will probably buy the Lakeline recoil spring assembly. Not because it NEEDS it but to have a spare assembly on hand. I do this with most of my pistols anyway (keep spare springs).

I ordered another mag from Academy Sports and plan to cut and sand the base pad flat for better concealment.

I have a Remora holster I got for (I believe) a G26 that works fine.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:10 am

i got one a cpl weeks ago..been flogging it. carry everywhere every day. lotta getting used to compared to my 442 but im getting there. lot heavier. first 2 rds jammed on the ramp but so far the cpl hundred others been good. little brass lube on em I guess.
accurate as it needs to be for me as well. like others I was hesitant about the Taurus but it has zero bad reviews I could find either. paid 199 for it.
I got 2 mags.
bought a fobus paddle owb for it..i have cut/ ground/ modified / heated that holster into something it never was to make it better....still not sure I like it. I have other style paddles...idk bout this one tho.
as for shooting it I posted up here bout it I think.
gage loves it. from about 40 ft out he rang our 8" steel 9 times outta the mag...that was better than me and he never picked that gun up til then
I have heard of the rear sight comin loose and to Loctite the screw but that seems to be the major complaint
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by draggindakota » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:34 am

Good to know about the Sig mags, I hadn't heard about that. Wife uses a Remora with hers also and likes it, and on occasion uses an Old Faithful hybrid.

Edit ti add: I'm also more accurate with the Taurus than my M&P. Don't know if it's the gun itself or the way it fits my hands, but I get much better grouping with it.
Why would you want to give away any of your rights or freedoms? Just because one jack wagon doesn't have an elevator worth Andre 3000 doesn't mean that I should have my privileges taken away.

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Seems like designing a pistol to use another mag brand is a great idea except picking one of the more expensive mags not so much.
Would have made more sense to have it use say Glock or M&P that don't run over 40 bucks a pop. IMO

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:13 pm

double post
Last edited by 45caldan on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 pm

Wulfmann wrote:Seems like designing a pistol to use another mag brand is a great idea except picking one of the more expensive mags not so much.
Would have made more sense to have it use say Glock or M&P that don't run over 40 bucks a pop. IMO

I agree but at least its good to know there are a lot of mags out there that will work in the pistol.
You can get Mecgar Sig mags cheaper.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product ... 5515000.do
Last edited by 45caldan on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:07 pm

Of course if you already have the Sig this would be a big selling point.

Couple things to know:
MecGar makes the factory Sig mags.
In fact they are the exact same mags just stamped with a different label and have 2 more rounds (3 in the case of the p226 mags and are a different color.
MecGar has to never make a mag that is the same capacity of the factory Sig mags with their agreement to supply Sig

Plus, one should take note that the P228/229 mags are the same width as the P226.
The newer Sig P229 9MM is a P229-1 and mags (both Sig and MecGar stamped versions) are slightly wider and will NOT fit

Another way to few this would be Sig P228/229 mags 13 rounds and MecGar 15 round WILL fit
Sig P229-1 15 round and MecGar P229-1 17 round mags Will NOT fit

German engineering.
Never leave a great product perfect when you can re-engineer it and make it totally confusing to anyone but a German engineer

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:23 am

Wulfmann wrote:Of course if you already have the Sig this would be a big selling point.

Couple things to know:
MecGar makes the factory Sig mags.
In fact they are the exact same mags just stamped with a different label and have 2 more rounds (3 in the case of the p226 mags and are a different color.
MecGar has to never make a mag that is the same capacity of the factory Sig mags with their agreement to supply Sig

Plus, one should take note that the P228/229 mags are the same width as the P226.
The newer Sig P229 9MM is a P229-1 and mags (both Sig and MecGar stamped versions) are slightly wider and will NOT fit

Another way to few this would be Sig P228/229 mags 13 rounds and MecGar 15 round WILL fit
Sig P229-1 15 round and MecGar P229-1 17 round mags Will NOT fit

German engineering.
Never leave a great product perfect when you can re-engineer it and make it totally confusing to anyone but a German engineer

I am aware that MecGar makes MANY OEM mags BUT the ones marked and sold as "factory" are usually higher priced. That's why I put the link in my post to show MecGars for under $30.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

draggindakota
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by draggindakota » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:42 pm

FYI: My wife and I went shooting with her brother and a friend. Both also have the G2. They do not like steel cased ammo! Her brother and our friend were running Winchester steel cased and continually had feeding problems. All ran fine on the North Georgia Reloading reman I was using.

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:17 am

Still liking this G2.

Just ordered a SS guide rod assy. from Lakeline LLC.
https://lakelinellc.com/

Not that it needed an upgrade but I always get spare recoil springs (or RSAs) for my autos, and an upgrade to an all SS assy vs polymer doesn't seem like a bad idea to me...

Total invested now (not counting tax) is: $324

$259 gun
$29 extra factory mag (which I ground the base plate down to a flat profile for more conceal-ability, total of 3 right now)
$36 Lakeline RSA

Already had a couple holsters for a Glock 26 that work fine (Remora and an unknown leather OWB holster).

Will get metal sights from Lakeline next then an 18 rd Sig (MecGar) P226 mag next. Just because I can! _:
Last edited by 45caldan on Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:37 am

My 709 weakest link was magazines. First one was prone to FTF and replacements were nowhere to be found. It took me months to get 2 spares. The magazine availability is a big selling point, in my opinion.
I never had bad experience with Taurus handgun, yet. Now DB9, LOL, that is a bad puppy!
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 am

I have noticed since I carry owb..that the finish isn't so great. the sides are showing a good bit of wear at the muzzle and where the fobus clamp style paddle holster rubs it. I don't wear it very tight so I wouldn't think the holster would rub the finish off..i carry the same way on my sw442 and in at least 5 yrs maybe more it hasn't shown any wear.
shoots good tho...doesn't deter me from recommending it....just an fyi it looks worn in ess than 3 mos of wearing it everyday. a more protective holster would be btter but I like these fobus plastic esp here in the heat
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:49 am

Yes the finish is weak. Its just a black oxide finish and not as durable as say a Nitron type finish.
Thats one of the things you don't get on a $200 gun....
I keep it lightly oiled with CLP to prevent rust.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:48 am

We go a few in the shop and it seems to be a very nice gun for the price point. Just picked up a mold and will start doing holsters for them this week.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:49 am

flashooter22 wrote:We go a few in the shop and it seems to be a very nice gun for the price point. Just picked up a mold and will start doing holsters for them this week.
And you were the one I was about to recommend for holster fabrication... Happy Labor Day
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**