dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

is there a 357 semi that isnt a sig rd

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:44 am

other than those ginat eagles or Coonan things

like a smith or a glock maybe? sig?
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Re: is there a 357 semi that isnt a sig rd

Post by IDPAMASTER » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:52 am

Nothing worth noting and if you don't like the Coonan you won't like the LAR. If one can pick up a Coonan though ,I'd suggest they do. They are going up in price and when they run,fun to shoot.

If it's the thought of the power and not the novelty,just get a 10mm. Many options available.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:20 pm

caliber specific was the plan..itll be a 9mm then
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:44 pm

.38 AMU, s&w 52?
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:46 pm

wtf ..I have 9mm or 38 or 357 to choose from..not buying any other calibers....looks like the taurus I was asking about in the other thread will fit the bill...

a mares leg is just too dang long for everyday carry :ham'r
im the other gary...

einstein

colt_saa

Post by colt_saa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:50 pm

dieselbeef wrote:other than those ginat eagles or Coonan things

like a smith or a glock maybe? sig?
If you are looking for performance similar to the 125 JHP 357 Magnum round in a normal sized autoloader, besides the 357SIG, there are the 356TSW and the 9x23 Winchester. Both rounds are capable of propelling 125JHPs at 1450+ FPS.

The 356TSW has a similar overall length as the 9MM Parabellum but the cartridge is designed to operate at 50,000 PSI compared to the 9MMs 35,000PSI.

the 9x23 Winchester has similar overall dimensions as the 38 Super. However the 9x23 Winchester operates at 55,000 PSI as opposed to the 38 Super's 36,500 PSI. Winchester claims that the 9x23 Win brass is the strongest autoloader brass they have ever designed.

Neither of these cartridges are very popular today. You can buy some of the older firearms for these cartridges but they have collectible value. You can also have one built in either cartridge or convert something you already own.

Here are a few original 356TSW autoloaders from S&W.

This is a standard production 6904 that I set up with barrels and springs for 9MM Parabellum, 9x21 and 356TSW

I am also working on a S&W M&P for 356TSW right now along with a Boberg conversion to 356TSW.

Many standard 9MM pistols can be converted to use 356TSW.

For 9x23 you need the larger 45/10 sized platform like a Colt Government model

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 am

but they aren't a standard 357 commonly avail cartridge... im trying to stay caliber common in my collection...that pretty cool tho...you know yer s';t bout some odd stuff
thanks
im the other gary...

einstein

colt_saa

Post by colt_saa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:59 am

dieselbeef wrote:but they aren't a standard 357 commonly avail cartridge... im trying to stay caliber common in my collection...that pretty cool tho...you know yer s';t bout some odd stuff
thanks
I mentioned those cartridges since you brought up the 357SIG

There are no standard sized autoloaders that chamber the 357 Magnum cartridge. After all at 1.59" COL the 357 Magnum is a third longer than a 9MM which measures 1.17 COL.

The grip frame must be bigger to accommodate this long cartridge. The slide needs a longer ejection port and more slide travel to eject and load the cartridge into the barrel. The three commercially successful autoloaders for that cartridge are the Coonan Arms, Desert Eagle and LAR Grizzly.

I have never fired a Coonan, the lines of the pistol never thrilled me, but I have shot the Desert Eagles and they are accurate and for some strange reason the gas operated autoloaders do not go bang like a revolver, they have a deep throaty KaaaBOOM when fired. I love the way they sound.

I do own two of the LAR Grizzlies, I am a big 1911 fan. I have one standard length and one of the long slides. I own a 357 Magnum conversion for my standard gun. It tends to really like the 158 grain loadings.

It is probably what I shoot the most from this pistol. It is fun to pull out a giant 1911. However, the real attention getter is the 10 1/2" barreled long slide Grizzly. This is strictly limited to the 45 Win Mag or 357/45GWM cartridges. I do not know if other conversion were ever produced, but with only 200 long slide ever made It is doubtful

The one disadvantage to the 357 Magnum autoloaders is that they require FULL Power loads. The Desert Eagle is particularly finicky about this. Quite a few of today's watered down factory Magnums will not cycle this firearm. Most current day gun show ammunition will not cycle the Desert Eagle. It runs best on handloads of full charge 296/H110 or 2400 as they produce a large gas volume

If I were still a member of the DeSoto Sportsman's Club I would offer to let you shoot the Grizzly on my next trip over there. The drive is so long for me that I have not belonged for many years.

patw
Life Member
Life Member

Post by patw » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:35 pm

That has to be one heavy pistol. I had a DE in 357 years ago and only one factory load was recommended for it by the manufacturer. I made some of my own but I could never get it to function 100%.