Taurus PT709 Slim reviews?

Pistols of all descriptions.
LurkMastR
Life Member
Life Member

Taurus PT709 Slim reviews?

Post by LurkMastR » Tue May 10, 2016 8:08 pm

My father-in-law just purchased a Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm pistol, and he claims in a "review" it performed as well as or better than most of the other guns tested. I was wondering if any of you recall seeing or reading such a review with such high praise for this gun. I've done a couple of searches, but I haven't seen anything that would support this claim or make me rush right out to get one of these.

I'm looking for on-line or print reviews of this pistol If you know of some that would support or dispel this, please let me know. Thanks.

I'm not looking for opinions on Taurus or this gun in particular UNLESS you have 1st hand experience. I already know what many of you think of Taurus. [smilie=011.gif]

Thanks.

Dragracer
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Taurus PT709 Slim reviews?

Post by Dragracer » Tue May 10, 2016 8:24 pm

I carried one for over 3 years. Pocket carry and IWB hybrid holster. Gun never malfunctioned on me. Shot what I fed it. Hit what I aimed it at. It's a great gun for the money.
Calling an illegal immigrant an undocumented worker, is like calling the corner drug dealer an unlicensed Pharmacist.

45caldan
Life Member
Life Member

Post by 45caldan » Thu May 12, 2016 7:22 am

I had one when they first came out.
They had one of the first modern polymer single stack 9 mms that are all the rage now.

I sold it very soon after the first range session.
It had a few misfires (light strikes) and I hated how far back the trigger broke.
It was one gun for ME that turned me against Taurus....

There are better options.
S&W Shields have really come down in price.
Ruger LC9s is another inexpensive but good SS 9mm.
DON'T TREAD ON ME

deathpriest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by deathpriest » Thu May 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Mine shoots every time, with one magazine. The other magazine makes it misbehave. Trigger is awkward, brakes way back. I still shoot mine but, have never carried it, would I, probably. It is an ok gun but like said before, there are other options for a little more $$
Blessings,
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
**Infidel**

screenerglenn
Life Member
Life Member

Post by screenerglenn » Fri May 13, 2016 4:50 pm

I carried the 709slim for several years and shot it a lot. Never had a function issue. My issue was the sights. Just could not get them aligned right. Sent it back to Taurus, but still shot way low. Switched to the shield two years ago and never regretted it.

#1Glock30
Life Member
Life Member

Post by #1Glock30 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Here is the "Guns and Ammo" article the OP is talking about. I read it right before I bought my 709 that has proven itself to me also.
"Get ready for this: The striker-fired Taurus 709 Slim proved to be this test’s best value. Why? Let’s start with MSRP: $302. This year, Taurus dropped the prices for several of its models, to include the 709 Slim. That means we’re likely to find one of these for about $270 across the counter at the local gun store. But a low price doesn’t necessarily mean “cheap.”
http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/com ... -shootout/

Note to add I paid $209 for mine on sale at Rural King. Shot well and accurate right out of the box and still does. They are a different handgun compared to Generation 1 and Taurus has a better service than many high dollar companies. They always strived to make any issues right on other pistols I owned.
SHTF Ready

cougar_guy04
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by cougar_guy04 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Local place in Huntsville just sent me a flyer that they were selling them for $177+tax. I've been tempted to snag a couple for stash guns in the house and to run a 2,000 round challenge on one. But when the Shield can be had for $100 more with the rebate right now, I might be tempted to spend the extra cash on the shield.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"

cvasqu03
Life Member
Life Member

Post by cvasqu03 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:39 am

My neighbor let me shoot his. It's not a bad gun, but I had a hard time shooting accurately with it. I'm actually relatively flexible with new firearms, and I was shooting several guns, all with pretty good accuracy but whenever I'd try the Slim, my groups would suddenly grow. I'm not sure what it was about it that did this as my neighbor was able to shoot it well, but I just couldn't, and mind you, I even shoot a Kel-Tec P11 with the long@$$ trigger pull.
If you're going to knock a man down, do it so he can't get up.