Mossberg M44US question

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Mossberg M44US question

Post by birdman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Not sure this thread belongs in this forum so moderators please feel free to move it where it should be.

I'm trying to determine if I have a magazine problem or a rifle problem with my Mossberg M44US.

I recently acquired a CMP Mossberg M44US target rifle. The guy I got it from purchased it from CMP in 2002 and never fired it. I have the CMP documentation AND he delivered it to me in the original shipping box from the CMP. He told me it came without any magazine (which sounds right to me IIRC). At some point he purchased an aftermarket 7 round mag for it. Again he had never fired it. I have no reason not to believe the guy.

Now my problem. When I put the magazine in the gun the bolt will not close. The magazine extends too far into the breech, blocking the bolt. If the bolt is closed first, the magazine will NOT lock in place. I had heard some aftermarket mags had some issues but I'm not sure if that's MY issue. When I look closely at the chamber there are 2 ears (12 o'clock and 6 o'clock), that I assume direct the bullet into the chamber like a ramp. These ears extend 1/4" or so back into mating holes in the bolt when it's closed. The upper ear looks normal to my untrained eye. Its upper side contacts the receiver and is parallel to the axis of the bore (the lower side of this "ear" angles to the bore.) I would have expected the lower side of the lower ear to be the same way (parallel to the axis of the bore), however it is angled upward at about 30 degrees. This is the contact point where the magazine would be prevented from entering the area where the bolt lives.

Does anyone have a Mossberg M44US who will look closely at the breech, where the magazine would contact this little ear. Is it horizontal, parallel to the bore, or is it angled upward. I cannot imagine why someone would modify this part of the rifle. The surface in question is perfectly flat, which I think rules out wear.

FWIW I have installed a bent paperclip in the magazine to increase the height of the stop on the mag and the rifle now functions, but I really need to know if the rifle is 100% or if it's out of tolerance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get a picture or two to show exactly what I'm talking about..

Thanks guys,

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well

birdman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Mossberg M44US question

Post by birdman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:32 pm

Wound up going to < http://www.rimfirecentral.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; > (great resource for all questions rimfire) for pictures and possible solutions.

It appears the problem I'm seeing is not uncommon and there may be a tweek for it. I'll be trying it later today.

Regarding the ears/nubs/ramp question I asked, my rifle's breech is normal. The lower ear is normally angled from both the bottom and the top.

Regarding my magazine fit, it appears many aftermarket magazines for this rifle have to be fitted to work correctly.

We'll have to see later this week if it can shoot the hairs off a knat's a$$ or not...

Thanks for trying guys,

Allan
Our FREEDOM rests on 4 boxes:
Soap, Ballot, Jury, and Cartridge
NRA Certified Instructor
offering CCW classes as well