Need help sighting my 6MM BR

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Need help sighting my 6MM BR

Post by ger42 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I have a Savage 110 in 6MM BR. I have a Ken Ferrall 15 moa scope mount with a Leupold 8.5 X 25 50MM. I tried to get a basic zero using a laser sight. Directions said at 25 feet the laser should hit the dot and the sight should be 1 1/2 inches higher than the dot assuming the scope was 1 1/2 inches higher than the bore. My scope is 1 1/2 inches higher than the bore. The closest I can get is 8 1/2 higher and at that point the elevation adjustment is bottomed out. That means I am 7 inches higher at 25 feet than I should be. If I shoot a round at 100 yards anyone have any idea how high I'll be?
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Need help sighting my 6MM BR

Post by Nicolas » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:31 pm

I'll pop over and sort it for you [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

Or option two [smilie=011.gif]

Bore sight it using a white dot against a black background, you need to be about 15 feet away to get a good sight picture.

This will get within 2" at 100 yards.

It sounds like your making a very simply task complicated.

My Nightforce almost bottoms out at 100 yards as the minimum I shoot at is 200 yards. I have also packed out the mounts so I get mechanical zero on the windage.

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Sounds like you'll be about a quarter mile high at 100 yards.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

ss1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ss1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:31 pm

glockpacker wrote:Sounds like you'll be about a quarter mile high at 100 yards.
I'm on a rootbeer suger high right now, but methinks he is going to be digging trenches at 100 yrds.

Rotate your laser bore site 180° and measure just to rule out a badly aligned boresighter. Did you install the 15 MOA mount backwards?

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:30 pm

ss1 wrote:
I'm on a rootbeer suger high right now, but methinks he is going to be digging trenches at 100 yrds.

Rotate your laser bore site 180° and measure just to rule out a badly aligned boresighter. Did you install the 15 MOA mount backwards?
Yeah, but my post was funnier.

It's true the mount could be backwards. I've seen it before. The thinnest part needs to be in the front, and it can be hard to tell which end is thinner.

I've done lots of boresighting, but I've never tried to use a lazer.
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

ger42
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ger42 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:09 pm

glockpacker wrote:
ss1 wrote:

Yeah, but my post was funnier.

It's true the mount could be backwards. I've seen it before. The thinnest part needs to be in the front, and it can be hard to tell which end is thinner.

I've done lots of boresighting, but I've never tried to use a lazer.
Small is to the front

Here is the one I'm using
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf5DJyLG ... re=related
NRA Life Member
Get Strong Live Long
"Lord, I seek your wisdom and guidance in making me the person my dogs think I am"

ss1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ss1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I assume the laser was rotated and the result was the same. Your mount could be the wrong one for that particular Savage or your ring bases could be mismatched or finally, you could have a broken reticle on your scope. If you want to bring it by the shop (Guntech), I'd be happy to take a look if things don't get figured out.