Howa 1500 stainless 30 06 any good?

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
ReadyFreddy23

Howa 1500 stainless 30 06 any good?

Post by ReadyFreddy23 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Thanks in advance for your help with this. I came across a used Howa 1500 stainless 30 06 with black synthetic stock. Do you know if Howa 1500's are any good? What are they worth used with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 50 scope?

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Howa 1500 stainless 30 06 any good?

Post by IDPAMASTER » Wed May 12, 2010 6:41 pm

The Howa 1500 is one of THE BEST budget priced out of the box rifles on the market.It is a strong design borrowing a lot from Sako.
The factory stocks are s';t,but then again,so are most.There are many options for stocks from Bell&Carlson,WildDog,Manners,McMillan,PSE etc.
The action bedded into a proper stock is very capable of being better than the person behind it. Contrary to many,the factory triggers are excellent,and very much the same as a Timney,and is equal in quality,also it is tunable, down to almost 1lb. Most are actually capable of sub-MOA out of the box,which is not a term I like,since everyone's rifles seems to be that :ham'r ,but the Howa's actually are one of the lucky ones.

You can not go wrong with these rifles.Buy the cheapest one you can,and get yourself a good stock.Barrels can come later,but just with a new stock and bedding,you can have a serious shooter that will shoot as good or better than you can drive it.

One of the very best rifles I have owned was a Howa action with a Krieger barrel sitting in a McMillan A4. It was a laser. Another is on my short list now.

-JM
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

glockpacker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by glockpacker » Wed May 12, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah. What he said. ^^^^^
Eric
Shooter of 1,000 yards

(Stolen from Moe without permission... because it's true) Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

ReadyFreddy23

Post by ReadyFreddy23 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 pm

Any ideas what a used Howa 1500 is worth with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 scope on it?