Who Says A Short Barreled Rifle Won't Reach 1,000 Yards?

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
mjmensale
Life Member
Life Member

Who Says A Short Barreled Rifle Won't Reach 1,000 Yards?

Post by mjmensale » Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 am

Courtesy of Frank "Lowlight" Galli at http://www.snipershide.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; proving once and for all that a short barreled rifle can repeatedly and accurately whack the target out to 1,000 yards. This video features his 18" Gladius .308 Winchester bolt gun and there are others with gas guns also. Just understand that these are NOT out-of-the-box factory rifles with cheap glass on them!

bang, pause, clang! [smilie=cheers1.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15qj032U ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. Claire Wolfe

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you. John Steinbeck

If you try to take our firearms, we will kill you. Mike Vanderboegh

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Who Says A Short Barreled Rifle Won't Reach 1,000 Yards?

Post by IDPAMASTER » Sun May 09, 2010 11:17 am

To the skeptics:

Don't be fooled into thinking the can adds "barrel length" either! There was only about a 15fps difference with it compared to without it,and with other ammo selections,you can bring that up,but you will still average a few fps under 2600 anyway.Which is still supersonic at 1K.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

razorbuc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by razorbuc » Sun May 30, 2010 5:24 pm

It doesn't take a 5000$ rig to shoot out to 1000yds,certainly not a nightforce scope.I don't understand what's new about this.I've seen it done years ago.I guess the first writer who gets folks attention,gets the discovery..lol...alot of people will laugh at them "discovering" the short barrel fact.
"I just don't want to get killed for the lack of shooting back"

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Sun May 30, 2010 7:26 pm

The problem isnt hitting the target, it how the round performs when it gets there
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Sun May 30, 2010 9:40 pm

razorbuc wrote:It doesn't take a 5000$ rig to shoot out to 1000yds,certainly not a nightforce scope.I don't understand what's new about this.I've seen it done years ago.I guess the first writer who gets folks attention,gets the discovery..lol...alot of people will laugh at them "discovering" the short barrel fact.

Sure,it doesn't take an expensive rifle and glass to go to 1k,it can be done with any weapon of capability, but that is not the point of this sticky.It does make it easier though. This is just one article plucked from a plethora of them to show what can be done with an 18" barrel on a bolt gun for the skeptics that think longer is better (which that applies to some cases,but not to the .308 and not to this discussion).

It isn't about being the first writer,it could have been quoted and pulled from anyone,this was just the easiest,most relevant example.

As far as anyone laughing,having been there and got the tshirt including from Bragg's SOTIC,I laugh when people think they know something!
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

NonConformist
Life Member
Life Member

Post by NonConformist » Mon May 31, 2010 9:22 am

Oh and FYI, it has been proven that a shorter barrel isnt necessarily less accurate than a long one

The issue w/ short barrels is performance of the round however, especially in 5.56 types that require a certain velocity to perform as designed
"Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by their love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest." -From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry" -Thomas Jefferson

captainmal

Post by captainmal » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Accuracy is an issue at longer ranges when dealing with velocity. As something like a 308 drops some bullets below say 1,100 fps, it may lose some stability and thus accuracy. Factor in the slower velocity with the shorter barrel and attending longer flight time with trajectory issues and you introduce more variables to long-range accuracy.

But - having said that I recently used a 20" Marlin lever in 30-30 with FTX bullets and that LeverRevolution powder to hit gongs at 600 yards. Was using a 6MM Rem with 18.5" barrel to lob 100 grain bullets into a couple gongs at 1,000 yards also. No real energy at the target but under the right conditions, you sure can hit.

Still like my 30" Kreiger-barrelled 6MM Dasher, with Nightforce, at 1,000 yards. It does things to cut those variables down and make hitting a whole lot easier.
You do not have the RIGHT to do WRONG.

SFSGM

Post by SFSGM » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 am

Interesting and good postings here. For many years I shot a .308 at 1,000 using 190 and 185 Lapua bullets, 190 Sierra's, and later the terrific 175's. Big difference in loading for Florida temperatures and traveling to Camp Perry, OH where it is easily 15 degrees cooler. In fact I have seen velocity problems at Ft Gordon and Stone Bay with guys loading 'down South' and not getting them supersonic at 1K. There is no sonic 'crack' overhead in the pits. the projectile just sort of makes a minor sound as it passes through the paper. Usually key-holing as it goes. I think the shortest barrel we had on the line for a .308 was 24 inches and that was not quite enough. For Palma and long range i like the 30 inch barrels when shooting the .308 - 155 # bullets. (I don't much like the 155's but shoot them because we have to in that game) We also had the .300 Win Mag and later the 6.5-.284. Both guns were very good at 1K. My .300 Win Mag (Shilen action and Barrel in a McMillan prone stock) is a 28 inch barrel. the Win Mag hammers at 1K. So does the 6.5-.284.
After a broken neck and low back in Iraq I need to stay away from big recoil so i am shooting all 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08 for mid and long range. The Creedmoor was what we called a 6.5mm-08 years ago. it shoots as well as the 6.5-.284 and very close to the Win Mag without all the recoil.

Just curious, are you guys shooting 1K on a range with pits and targets or just at steel, etc? there is much to be learned about yourself and your gun/ammo combination when shooting at targets manned by humans. The instant feedback on every slowfire shot is invaluable. Wind, mirage, light, and other demons can be conquered when you can see their affects on your mechanical zero and no-wind zero at 1K. 1K is all together different. A long range gun and bullets may not perform well at 100-200 yards while it performs great at 1K. Obviously a gun shooting small groups with certain bullets and grouping really well at short range may not perform at all down range. You have to admit, it is kinda funny when a guy shoots a very good target at 100-300 yds and thinks the gun will shoot at 600 or 1K.

Scopes are good when they are consistent. if they can't track well they are useless to me. I have Nightforce scopes on most of my guns for the "Any Rifle-Any sight" matches including a Weaver T-12 target scope about 40 years old ( and terrific). For most of our shooting game we use iron sights. It is the best way to learn MOA and the affects of environmental elements and reloading gremlins.

Best of luck and shoot well, guys.

SFSGM
SF-SGM
Retired 18Z 5TW9
Jacksonville, FL &
Illocos, Philippines

Bttbbob

Post by Bttbbob » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 am

Shorter barrels tend to loose their grouping out past 700 yards....We have seen it in classes over and over.