Best way to cool down a Suppresor?

Machine guns, SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, destructive devices, AOW (any other weapon)
Greg

Best way to cool down a Suppresor?

Post by Greg »

Ok guys I'm hoping to get some good advice from you guys. I have a SR-5 for my SBR AR, I shot w it a few weeks ago. Shot rapid fire quite a bit and the suppressor got hot as shit. Not a problem while shooting as I'm used to heated barrels from being a Machinegunner in the Marines. When I was done shooting my suppressor was too hot to put back into my drag bag. I was at shoot straight and had the employees lay it across a trash can for about 15 min to cool it down. There any way to hasten this cool down process or is this part of owning a suppressor?
I know of Magpuls suppressor cover, it would fit my needs but ive read it adds quite a bit of weight
Last edited by Greg on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Battalion/5th Marines

NRA Benefactor Lifetime Member

FSN Member Since 2009
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

shoot suppressed first, then hurry up and wait

there is a video on NFA review guy dunking his can in water, but I wouldn't :roll:
Keith

Post by Keith »

rentprop1 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:05 pm shoot suppressed first, then hurry up and wait

there is a video on NFA review guy dunking his can in water, but I wouldn't :roll:
This. The guy that put it in water was Adam from NFA review.

You can shoot rifles and then bring a 22 to do some more practice/shooting to pass the time while it is cooling down.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well tbo if I was still in the Corps I would totally dunk that bitch in the water to cool it down if it was governemrnt property haha

I’ll defin shoot suppressed first at the range. Might pick up the magpul suppressor cover but I really need to check out the alternative suppressor covers out there as well

FSN Member Since 2009
rentprop1

Post by rentprop1 »

best advice is shoot it first without the cover, let it cool off somewhat, and then install cover an put in your rifle bag, that cover will also retain heat when shooting with it on, FYI.

sup covers are really so you don't get burned when and if you sling your rifle around next to another shooter-personnel
Keith

Post by Keith »

rentprop1 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:57 pm best advice is shoot it first without the cover, let it cool off somewhat, and then install cover an put in your rifle bag, that cover will also retain heat when shooting with it on, FYI.

sup covers are really so you don't get burned when and if you sling your rifle around next to another shooter-personnel
And to mitigate mirage. The MagPul cover he is talking about really can’t be taken off and put back on. It is like a really large heavy condom that is hard to slip over the can with some type of lube that burns off with use and then is just about stuck on.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I believe I’ve found my solution. Just got from amazon a Caldwell accumax barrel cooler. It’s a mag you insert when not shooting and it shoots cool air into barrel. Holds a 3-4 hour charge.

I’ll shoot my suppressor first then slap this in while reloading a couple mags

FSN Member Since 2009
Greg

Post by Greg »

I’m sure I’ll have similar problems w hot suppressors in nov when my octane 45k is approved. I’ll mate it up to my G19 w a threaded KKM barrel

FSN Member Since 2009
Keith

Post by Keith »

Greg wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 am I’m sure I’ll have similar problems w hot suppressors in nov when my octane 45k is approved. I’ll mate it up to my G19 w a threaded KKM barrel
Not really. Rifle cans heat up faster and to a higher degree. Also, with the greater mass of rifle cans they retain that heat energy longer. Not saying pistol and rim fire cans can’t get hot.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well that’s good to know. I’m learning more and more as I acquire more cans

FSN Member Since 2009