How many rounds per group?

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
rug357

How many rounds per group?

Post by rug357 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:23 pm

How many rounds do you shoot per group to determine accuracy? I've often wondered how many rounds were fired per group when someone states they got XXX inch group at 100 yards or something like that. I've seen people shoot 3 rounds and some 5 rounds per group. I was always taught to shoot 10 rounds per group to determine realistic accuracy potential.
Fools learn from experience, intellegent person learns from experience of others.
She may not be of my flesh and blood but she is of my heart and soul.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: How many rounds per group?

Post by Rentprop1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:34 pm

with something like a hunting rifle, I do 5, then usually have to wait for cold range to go down and look at the target and make adjustment and shoot another 5 and wait for next cold line , this also helps the barrel not warm up too much.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:28 pm

You can easily get the mathematicians to speak up here, statistics and all. But for me, 5 round minimum at 100 yards (rifle).

Just to brag, here is a 10 round, cold barrel group from 200 yards. A couple of years ago.

Go Trump!

John K
Administrator
Administrator

Post by John K » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:50 pm

When working up a load I'll do an OCW, starting with 5 round groups, then load up 10 rounds at each "node" for final development.

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 am

John K wrote:When working up a load I'll do an OCW, starting with 5 round groups, then load up 10 rounds at each "node" for final development.
This^^^ is how it works. Exactly how I do it,and on either side of the low and high nodes to get the window.

Three shot groups aren't indicative of anything except that the shooter wasn't confident enough in his abilities to finish.

With an already established load,outside of workup....10 rounds would be the true measure of potential and accuracy. If it's not consistently repeatable,it's not accurate...its luck.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

AirForceShooter
Life Member
Life Member

Post by AirForceShooter » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 am

My usual group is 3
Never more than 5

AFS
There is something charming about the sound of bullets-----George Washington

Swamp Water

Post by Swamp Water » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:30 am

I always shoot at least 5 shot groups. 3 round groups are pretty much a waste of time!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:23 am

When it comes to load date 5 shots min. Once I have the load its 5 shots per range marker 100 200 300 600 900 1000 yards

When it comes to sighting in 10 shots, then 5 shots per range marker maybe 10 at ranges I use the most.

If you shoot 3-5 shot groups and get a flyer don't quit on the group keep going to 10 shots