matching a scope to a rifle

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

matching a scope to a rifle

Post by dieselbeef » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:45 pm

ive got rifles..quite a few..typically they shoot out 100-150 yds tops tho..ecen ar's..cept for 1 of em

anyway supposing I buy a rifle...good to 1/2 moa at 100 yds..specifically its a tikka t3..how do I got about getting a decent scope that isn't gonna cost more than the rifle. they can be had for about 5-800$.

I don't want what ya would recommend.

I wanna know how to select the scope I need based on the rifle I have.
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

arkhangel5

Re: matching a scope to a rifle

Post by arkhangel5 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:13 pm

I will ask what is the intended use for this rifle(?), before I would make a suggestion. Hunting, paper punching, long range, short range?

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:32 pm

fox yote destruction at between 200-300 yds..but I might like to get further is I get the opportunity
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

boomboom
Life Member
Life Member

Post by boomboom » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Along with distance and caliber being used, lens clarity, light gathering, mechanical operation, weight, reticle or circle dots, and perhaps illumination are basics for choosing scopes.

I like 1-4x scopes with circle dots, plain and/or illuminated for out to 200 yards.
1-8x, 2-7x, or 3-9x for out to 400 yards.
If I was ever going to take a shot at more than 400 yards, a 3x-12 or 4x-12/16

Gary, I have a variety of scopes you can get an idea of what you might want.
Google pain in the ass and your picture should be there-sayeth my wife

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:21 pm

I will suggest something like a 3-15 or higher. Low end for wide field of view and the higher magnification there if you need it.

I have used a 3-9 out to 600yds and while doable, always left me wishing I had more, just for the extra insurance that where you are aiming is where you are most likely to hit.

I was just out in Texas and had a 3-15 on my rifle. As I was sitting in blind, some movement caught my eye. Whatever it was was moving low to ground and fast.

3x enabled me to see wider field of view and allowed me to pick it up a little further on, then was able to zoom in and identify what it was.

It was a grey fox, and being able to zoom in and see distinguishing features was a big plus.

Everything that Boomboom said is also true, clarity, light gathering and repeatable mechanicals are important factors in choosing the right scope for you.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:12 pm

Tikka rifles are indeed quality I would suggest a vari power 6 - 20 mag x 50mm, as it will be good for spotting at 20 power and 50 objective will be useful for lamping/ low light hunting.

Reticle I would suggest a standard duplex as oppose to mill-dot or fine duplex as it will work better at low light.

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:16 pm

that's helpful as a good bit of this rifles use may be at dusk or dark
im the other gary...

einstein

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:42 am

dieselbeef wrote:that's helpful as a good bit of this rifles use may be at dusk or dark
I live in England low light is all we have [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=012.gif]

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:25 pm

Nicolas wrote:
dieselbeef wrote:that's helpful as a good bit of this rifles use may be at dusk or dark
I live in England low light is all we have [smilie=011.gif] [smilie=012.gif]
But you brits are so pale and pasty, yall are like your own glow sticks
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

new-rug

Post by new-rug » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Gary,

IMHO the most important is the durability. You want a scope that you can sight in and not have to worry if it's the scope or the shooter when shots are not going where they should. You have to have confidence that your scope is always going to hold zero. This brings up the issue of mount and rings. Highest quality scope is not going to do any good if it's mounted to the rifle using cheap mount and rings. Like the scope, you want to have full confidence that your mount is never going to get loose or move. Put a great scope on the rifle with poor quality mount/rings and you'll most likely end up with sighting problems. Second most important characteristics is clarity and I find this to be more important as our vision gets worse with age. Unfortunately clarity requires high quality glass and optical quality glass is expensive. I find that I can compensate for lower magnification with sharper image. I remember reading once that the maximum practical range of a scope can be calculated by multiplying the top magnification by 50 for big game and by 25 for varmint and that will be the practical maximum distance in yards. So if you have 3-9X power then your maximum practical range for big game hunting would be (9x50) about 450 yards or for varmint hunting (9x25) about 225 yards. This is a just a guide but I think it's pretty close to reality for most of us. Finally, objective size (along with quality of glass) will partly determine the brightness of the scope at the upper magnifications. I think 40mm objective is for general purpose shooting while 50-56mm are for low light situations...but larger objective usually mean more weight and larger size scope.