Scope question

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
infidel325

Scope question

Post by infidel325 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:15 pm

I have a RRA Lar8AR standard operator AR 10 .308
With a Vortex diamond back 1.75-5 scope and a RRA ar high mount 1 peice scope mount. Im going to the manatee range next month and would like to shoot out to
1k yards. I have herd about shimming your scope and or mount to get extra MOA but i dont know anything about it.
Is it possible with my setup or should i just get new rings?
If so can you reccomend me some for the AR 10?
I would rather use what i have than have to change it.
SHOOTER READY

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Scope question

Post by Cardboard_killer » Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm

I only use Burris Signature rings, and buy extra posi-align inserts in packs so I have the correct adjustments needed. May cost more, but always seemed like a little bit of money to save some tedious work and worry.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Sat May 21, 2016 10:46 am

Respectfully, You're going to have trouble seeing the target at 1K with a 5X scope. Having said that, if you have a good 100 yd. zero - dial up 36 minutes on the scope. This can be done at home. If the elevation turret runs out before you hit 36 you need to change mounts/rings.
On a side note, a 20" barrel reaching 1K accurately is very hard. Think match barrel, hand loaded match ammo, and a very experienced shooter on the trigger.
Post how it turns out.
Eagla me' aon olc

Cardboard_killer
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Cardboard_killer » Sat May 21, 2016 7:39 pm

Yes, at that range you'll probably need higher magnification and a spotter with a really good spotting scope, and good handloads or quality match ammo. I must say I had the 1,000 yard shooting bug, but I ain't that good upon actually getting down there. The 540 yard (or is it 560?) intermediate target area was the most satisfying for me, but I'm not a dedicated rifleman, more of a bench rest hole punching for fun kind of guy.
Brian
Early Merging Causes Traffic Jams

M14man
Life Member
Life Member

Post by M14man » Sat May 21, 2016 9:56 pm

I don't think 36 MOA is enough. I think he will have to come up 45 moa or more. I do not know of a spotting scope that can see holes at that distance. They may use protected cameras now and you 'see' the shots on a monitor. Shooting 600 yds can be a humbling experience. I knew a guy who set up at 1000 yards and after 10 - 15 trips out to the target was never able to tell where he was hitting.

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Sat May 21, 2016 11:17 pm

It's a lot easier shooting on a range with active pits - someone to mark targets. I figured 36 would at least get him in the black, my 1K zero is 31 on my 308, but it's a purpose built match rifle.
Eagla me' aon olc

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Sun May 22, 2016 5:25 am

To me, in addition to only 5x power, that scope has a 100yd fixed parallax and unless you can guarantee that you can put your eye in the exact same position for every shot, it is going to cause you problems hitting the target at that range.

At 1000yds, every error with a 308 is magnified. A missed wind call, a bad trigger squeeze, a slight flinch, much less an off centered parallax, all will guarantee that bullet is not going to go where you wanted. And that is with a good setup, gun, scope and ammunition.

If you are serious about shooting 1k, I would get equipment that at least makes it easier to make good hit.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Sun May 22, 2016 10:50 am

They make 20 degree rails which basically changes the angle your scope points to allow centering the reticle at a longer distance.

I have one on my 15LB AR 26" (Yes Steve, it is Glockpacker's custom build, still have it) and it still allows for use at 100 and 200 yards fine.
I doubt you will not run out of clicks before 1000 and even if you don't you will be basically looking at the edge of your glass and have no parallax at all

As Ark mentioned without the ability to adjust parallax you are all but wasting your time and certainly your ammo

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Sun May 22, 2016 1:52 pm

arkhangel5 wrote:To me, in addition to only 5x power, that scope has a 100yd fixed parallax and unless you can guarantee that you can put your eye in the exact same position for every shot, it is going to cause you problems hitting the target at that range.

At 1000yds, every error with a 308 is magnified. A missed wind call, a bad trigger squeeze, a slight flinch, much less an off centered parallax, all will guarantee that bullet is not going to go where you wanted. And that is with a good setup, gun, scope and ammunition.

If you are serious about shooting 1k, I would get equipment that at least makes it easier to make good hit.

SY
This is a solid answer!
5x is simply not going to cut it at 1k. I've done it with a 3-9 and while doable,wished I had more magnification. 10x is the least I'd consider,but I don't run over 15x generally at 1k. Inside of 600,5x would be ok. This is not to say at all its not possible,but it would be a waste of time and resources IMO.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

infidel325

Post by infidel325 » Sun May 22, 2016 1:59 pm

Thanks for the replys. I think im going to go with a different setup. Bushnell elite fixed 10 with a 20 moa mount. Keep it simple and cheap. Maybe find someone with it to trade out my scope and mount!
SHOOTER READY

IDPAMASTER
Life Member
Life Member

Post by IDPAMASTER » Sun May 22, 2016 2:54 pm

For a fixed 10x,SWFA Super Sniper line can't be beat. The very best for the money in its class and a very good scope.
Well then get your s';t together.
Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your s';t. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the s';t store and sell it, or put it in a s';t museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
Get your s';t together.
- MORTY

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Eric and his rifle

Post by Dave P » Sun May 22, 2016 4:15 pm

One his early days on the 600 range at Port Malabar. I think he looks happy!

Go Trump!

Wulfmann
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Wulfmann » Sun May 22, 2016 8:19 pm

IDPAMASTER wrote:For a fixed 10x,SWFA Super Sniper line can't be beat. The very best for the money in its class and a very good scope.
I have been using those for over 15 years.
The newer 10X side focus with Mil lines (not mildot) is the best choice IMO

/:f
“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison

A stovepipe is your rifle flipping you off for using cheap ammo!

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Eric and his rifle

Post by Nicolas » Mon May 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Dave P wrote:One his early days on the 600 range at Port Malabar. I think he looks happy!

Anyone whines about being to old to shoot long range tell um about our Eric ......

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:32 pm

O.k. I'll bite. Eric WHO? Keyes or Kennard? Both looked a liked. The pix posted is at least 10 yrs. old. [smilie=011.gif]
Eagla me' aon olc

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:06 am

That pic is Eric Keyes . Otherwise known here as Glockpacker.

I thought Wulfman was talking about this particular rifle, but maybe not.

Yes, old picture, maybe 12 years ago, as Eric was just starting his High Power career. He got to be very good at F class, and travelled the country to multiple big matches. Spiders - didn't you shoot with him for quite a while? I know Steve did.

RIP Eric!
Go Trump!

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Roger. With that hat on I couldn't tell which one, both put some weight on over the years. [smilie=011.gif] Keyes was indeed a great guy both on the range and off. Before his passing he lived about 10 mins.away from me.

RIP Eric :ber
Eagla me' aon olc