A day at 1000yds

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
arkhangel5

A day at 1000yds

Post by arkhangel5 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:30 pm

I have access to a private range with distances out to 1000yds. This past weekend was out there testing my .260

First time shooting it out to 1k. It shot really good with a 142gr Sierra Matchking going 2720fps, out of a 26in Criterion 1-8tw barrel. Scope was a Nikon Monarch 4-16.

It was a nice day, sunny, lite wind. Even the cows came by to watch. Was surprised that they hung around with all the gunfire. The whole herd was there, bout 150+ head. Other than a flinch when the first shot went off, they just stood there.

In the following vid, am shooting off a platform 8 feet up in the air, and all guns were dialed for 1k yds. The shooters are all experienced, so the cows were in no danger of being hit. We had radio comms with the person marking the targets.

We are shooting at F-class targets where the 10 ring is 10in wide and the X ring is 5in.

http://s231.photobucket.com/user/syeeke ... 5.mp4.html

I am in the middle with the comms.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Re: A day at 1000yds

Post by Nicolas » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:27 pm

I love the fact the cows don't give a monkeys ...

Skill giddy over V bulls how sweet ..... [smilie=pdt_xtremez_13.gif]

Jonathanw
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jonathanw » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:34 pm

Those cows really don't care [smilie=011.gif]

I'm surprised they stayed so close to what looks like the line of fire

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 pm

S.W.E.E.T.... [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:52 am

One thing to try, to keep the cows away: shove a couple of lbs of tannerite down the throat of the bull, followed by one clean shot at his first stomach.

That will keep the other cows in line. And as a bonus, you will soon have plenty of moving targets (vultures) for your shotgun practice!

Is your range in Brevard County? Or maybe Osceola?
Go Trump!

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:53 am

Reminds me of when I was a youngster upstate New York, worked on a milk farm in the summer time for years, cows are dum, not smart enough to be dumb. That's wild tho shooting that close to the animals, the man I worked for would have a s';t fit if that ever happened, especially if you accidentally hit one .. Do you own that property ?

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:30 pm

I dunno if I would call the cows dumb, as I was thinking that while there was gunfire going on, there would not be any predators around. Why they chose to stay on this side of the pasture I dont know, but they actually came over and stayed there, and this pasture was at least 500+acres.

Dave, Neg on the tannerite. :) We were told, cow=$1200, calf=$1800, bull=your house.

Trout, none of the shots came close to a cow, as I said in the post, we are up in the air about 8+ft on a mound and shooting 1k, so each rifle had a ton of elevation dialed in to reach that far. No, I dont own the property, to shoot out there, you have to be invited and if you are not an experienced shooter, you won't be.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:53 pm

arkhangel5 wrote:I have access to a private range with distances out to 1000yds. This past weekend was out there testing my .260

First time shooting it out to 1k. It shot really good with a 142gr Sierra Matchking going 2720fps, out of a 26in Criterion 1-8tw barrel. Scope was a Nikon Monarch 4-16.

It was a nice day, sunny, lite wind. Even the cows came by to watch. Was surprised that they hung around with all the gunfire. The whole herd was there, bout 150+ head. Other than a flinch when the first shot went off, they just stood there.

In the following vid, am shooting off a platform 8 feet up in the air, and all guns were dialed for 1k yds. The shooters are all experienced, so the cows were in no danger of being hit. We had radio comms with the person marking the targets.

We are shooting at F-class targets where the 10 ring is 10in wide and the X ring is 5in.

http://s231.photobucket.com/user/syeeke ... 5.mp4.html

I am in the middle with the comms.

SY

your ".260"?
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:06 pm

Orl Paul, What do you need to know about .260 Remington?

Is a .308 based case necked to 6.5mm. Very easy to shoot, better ballistics than a .308. Very good selection of bullets available for it, both hunting and match.

A little less barrel life than a 308 but not bad. You can use any accessory available for a 308 with it, other than bullets and barrels.

Rifle in video started out as a Stevens 200 in 308, converted to .260 with just a barrel swap. Was built as a test bed rifle to see how a 6.5mm worked in competition. Works very well and outshoots a 308 with less felt recoil..

Stock is Choate with aluminum v-block, which was bedded with Devcon epoxy. All work to rifle done by me. Like I said it was a test bed.

SY

Trouter3

Post by Trouter3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:17 pm

Just a follow up on the cows, believe me they aren't the brightest light in the barn, but getting back to working on the farm, after I herded the cows back to barn in the evening I used to go out woodchuck hunting with my Remington 722 in .222 rem with a 12x unertl scope, used to shoot chucks at 200-400 yards, the farmer used to pay me $3 a chuck tail, if a cow stepped into a woodchuck and broke it's leg the farmer would have to put the animal down and that was a few dollars lost both long and short term, so I was kinda woodchuck bounty hunter when your 14-16 years old everything outdoors is fun and games ...

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:02 pm

A good thing the Major is absent. I can just see the carnage he would cause out there. :ham'r
Eagla me' aon olc

barkingspiders

Post by barkingspiders » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Hey S, BTW Fulvio is selling his FTR rifle. Barnard action, 2 barrels. Friends and family only.
Eagla me' aon olc