Ruger Precision Rifle (Full Review)

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Ruger Precision Rifle (Full Review)

Post by Ironman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Most of you know that I've had two RPR's chambered in 6.5CM and 308Win since the day they came out. The reason this review took so long is I saw other reviewers rushing to be the first to post a video of the RPR. Which I totally get it, strike while the irons hot right?

Well, I really wanted to put this thing through the ringer. And as such I had to take my time collecting the footage for the video. Over the course of the past few months I have built the guns up, sighted them in, shot at distances from 100 to 1,000 yards and spent time getting to know the rifle and it's user intuitive features.

I must say that for the price this sells for at local shops (if you can find one in stock) it has to be the best thing going right now. The 6.5CM and 308Win both shoot sub MOA and feed and extract 100%. The trigger is light and crisp and gets better and better as you use it. I have roughly 800rds through the 6.5 and 600 through the 308Win so they are nice and broken in. I polished the bolt on the 6.5CM and left the 308 alone as a test and you can tell the 6.5CM cycles a tad smother. Other than that I don't see what anyone would need/want to do to this rifle after they set it up with some glass.

For the video I show the best group shot on THAT particular film day and of course the one day I went to the 100 yard indoor range with no wind I shoot a mind blowing 5 shot group and my camera bugged out and the file was corrupted. I was pretty damn pissed for awhile about that one. It looked like a .400" group. UGH! Anyway I really tried to keep the video short but it was hard as I had to tell the story of the rifle and my time with it.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy the video and please leave any feedback in the comments under the video. Thanks!

VIDEO LINK - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8VD3jP3s20

forcefed
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle (Full Review)

Post by forcefed » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:49 am

Nice video. Which do you prefer?
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:36 pm

The 6.5 hands down was more accurate and fun to shoot. Less recoil, etc. Not shocked in the least.

stoneknives

Post by stoneknives » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Excellent review, now I have to go and make an adjustment to my letter to Santa.

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:38 pm

This review could not have come at a better time as I have just found out a local gun shop is taking delivery of both calibres next month. I will go for the .308 as I have plenty of ammo left from my last rifle and the cost of getting my loading gear back up and running is just to high right now. Also with keeping the rifle 'factory' if we get to move across the pond I can just let it go without the heart ache, suffered during my last sell off.

I'll let you know what I gonna have to pay asap.

Scope wise I'll stick a Zeiss conquest on top and run a moderator and bi-pod (plus back pod) .... everything will be factory.

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:30 pm

The 308 has it's advantages but man I'll tell ya; the 6.5 out shoots it all day, by a decent margin.

At 1,000 it's a not even a fair fight.

Just making sure you are making an informed decision. :ber

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:54 am

Good review. I have had my eyes on this rifle since they first hit the market. That's a lot of features for the price point. What I really like is the detachable mag setup and the adjustable stock. If I bought one, would probably get the 6.5cm since I already have really good .308's.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

forcefed
Life Member
Life Member

Post by forcefed » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:23 am

I checked my preferred online stores and they are out of stock
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

LastRites
Life Member
Life Member

Post by LastRites » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:04 pm

A lot of gun for the money and a very nice review.

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Ironman wrote:The 308 has it's advantages but man I'll tell ya; the 6.5 out shoots it all day, by a decent margin.

At 1,000 it's a not even a fair fight.

Just making sure you are making an informed decision. :ber
I just don't have the time or the kit to reload anymore and at the end of 2017 we will be making plans to move across the pond again, so the gun will be sold.

Eyeguy

Post by Eyeguy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:51 pm

stoneknives wrote:Excellent review, now I have to go and make an adjustment to my letter to Santa.
^^^^^^What he said. Would love to see this in person at the 1000 yard range...

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:16 pm

nice review, I was just checking on one for a customer on Wed and no dice.....they'll be around , pray for a Black Friday sale [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

amheck

Post by amheck » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:00 pm

nice review. I think if I can find a 6.5 for around a grand, I would probably pick it up. And then start saving for the glass.....

I had my heart set on a Remmington 700 5R but recently came across the RPR and think its probably a better buy.

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Thanks for the compliments Gents! As for new release videos. I'd setup an account on Full30 (a YouTube type site for gun channels only) and subscribe cause I have some very exclusive videos in the works! :ber

https://www.full30.com/channels/nfareview

Nicolas
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Nicolas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:28 pm

Done [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

Ironman
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Ironman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:42 am

Awesome! Thanks for subbing!

xring04

Post by xring04 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:50 pm

Great video. A few weeks ago I got a chance to shoot a gentleman's 6.5 version of this gun at the 200 yard range at Gateway up I'm Jax. I was amazed by how easily I was able to shoot great groups with this rifle. Thanks for the vid.