77 357 rotary mag hangin up

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

77 357 rotary mag hangin up

Post by dieselbeef » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:50 pm

so I go to beat some 357 up an the first 40 rds or so go down w/o a hitch. after that the mag is not feeding the front of the rd up high enough to make it onto the ramp so the bolt wont go forward. its not the bullet shape but more like the brass isn't smooth enough on the rim to let the mag advance the next rd far enough. seems like the aluminum on the rear of the mag is so soft that the sharp edge of the brass rim is digging into it and holding it from spinning.
oiling it didn't help.
as the mag advances it just doesn't go far enough forward to push the bullet end up high enough

anyone else had this problem? mag bad?

my American and my 10-22 don't have any feed problems
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 77 357 rotary mag hangin up

Post by dieselbeef » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:02 pm

also im not a fan of that 2 piece bolt..but it works well...so i guess ill live with it

nobody had this issue?
im the other gary...

"The right and the decision to carry a weapon for your own defense is a horrible blessing".

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:14 am

called ruger..sending me a new mag out asap. pretty good service. didnt ask for the old one or anything. said the flex in the bolt is normal..but if i ever see another im gonna check it out.

soon as i get this sorted im gonna scope it..a trophy in silver should be sweet
im the other gary...

einstein

dieselbeef
Life Member
Life Member

Post by dieselbeef » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:54 am

I think I fixed it if anyone gives a s';t

the ejector arm that grabs the btm of the rd and pulls it back after its fired has too much spring pressure on it. the rd cannot advance forward into the chamber because the ejector arm is too tight. take it off with by removing the little roll pin in the bolt. DONT LOOSE THE LITTLE SPRING. polish it or sandblast it smooth cuz the machining edges are sharp and the hang up the rd when it tries to advance into the chamber from the mag. the rd doesn't wanna go under the ejector arm cuz the spring is too tight or the sharp edges hang it up. then the rd wont go up the feed ramp or gets slightly cocked sideways and the bolt wont go forward either way. I sanded all the edges on mine and then I cut the spring coils. I took off 1 1/2 coils. it still ejects the rd just fine and the mag can easily push the rd up underneath the ejector arm w/o cocking it sideways.
im the other gary...

einstein