Big Plug for Rifle Basix Triggers

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
Bttbbob

Post by Bttbbob » Wed May 06, 2015 8:14 pm

To make a long story short, I ordered a Rifle Basix trigger for a Savage Model 10 that I have in rental use for Precision Rifle Courses. The trigger came in withing two days from GunBroker. While trying to install it I could not get the set screws for the adjustments to go in properly because the screws came pre-coated with Locktite. I wound up stripping two of the adjustment screws. So I get them out and try to run an 8-32 tap in the holes and break it off in the trigger pull weight set screw hole.

I call rifle basix and get a recording. I then call GunBroker they in turn tell me I have to call rifle basix. I tell them tehy won't pick the phone up. She calls with me on hold right then. Says they have my address and are sending me a new trigger and a self addressed stamped envelope to send the old one back. Arrived 2 days later. No questions asked.

Installed it tonight, and i have to say it is as nice as any Timney, I have used, at half the price....Went in like butter adjusted down to 14 oz's and is crisp and clean....

Great service by GunBroker and Rifle Basic. I may just change out all my stock triggers with them.....

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Big Plug for Rifle Basix Triggers

Post by DaveM » Thu May 07, 2015 7:06 am

What kind of precision courses are you shooting? Most HP guys look at a 14oz trigger as being way too heavy. My Savage F T/R is set at 6oz and I get laughed at.

Bttbbob

Post by Bttbbob » Thu May 07, 2015 8:38 am

Might be too heavy for some. Teach a tactical precision rifle where the gun is moved around a lot. I have several courses for Precision Rifle but anytime a course of fire requires moving around with the gun (i.e.) getting in and out of different and awkward positions, I am not a proponent of a 6 oz trigger on a gun like that.

I notice you have a F-Class gun, if you are shooting an F-Class where all you do is go to a firing line and lay down to shoot, that is a different bird. Benchrest and F-Class can go with lighter triggers. I wouldn't use that same trigger in a PRS course of fire.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Thu May 07, 2015 1:13 pm

The only movement in F-Class is squeezing the rear sand bag. [smilie=011.gif]

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:44 pm

this is directed at Davem. you say your savage trigger is set at 6oz's. does it run reliably or do you have to baby the bolt closed?. i only ask because i have yet to see any savage trigger run reliably that low.

btt, good deal on getting the new trigger set up. for what your stated purpose 14oz would work. i like RB triggers.

i shoot my savage 223 in f-class matches and the factory trigger is set at 3lbs and it works for me. check my other posts on long distance shooting and see the type of scores i put up.

sy
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Thu May 07, 2015 6:23 pm

The trigger adjustment screw has a tendency to want to move on lighter settings causing the sear to fall and catch on the accutrigger safety. The first time this happened to me was during a match. I figured out I could Cockadoodledoo the gun on an empty chamber and put the safety on. I could then load a round, take the safety off and fire the rifle.

Internet searches showed by putting fingernail polish on the adjustment screw spring it would cure the problem. So far - so good. It's holding on the light settings.

Bttbbob

Post by Bttbbob » Fri May 08, 2015 8:19 am

I knew you shot F-Class by the trigger settings you were talking about. Doesn't work for field shooting.....And yes, every Savage I have seen with a really light trigger had a tendency to either slam fire (in closing the bolt) or fire when the safety is taken off. When you set the trigger at the factory recommended trigger weight, in this case 14oz-3lb, always use either lok-tite or fingernail polish to lock in your setting screws.........And I am teaching a long range precision course next week and will be trying this new trigger out...Should be fun.

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Fri May 08, 2015 9:01 am

The Savage AccuTrigger should prevent all slam fires or firing when you take the safety off. All I ever got was a dead trigger. The accutrigger did its job and prevented the gun from discharging. It's a good design now being coppied by other manufacturers. Not the best but, still good.