1000yd match at Camp Blanding

Bolt guns, gas guns and long range shooting tactics.
arkhangel5

1000yd match at Camp Blanding

Post by arkhangel5 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Got talked into attending an F-Class match at Camp Blanding in Starke this past Sunday. Blanding is a National Guard base.

Had to load on short notice and the only rifle I had ready was my AR10 in 6.5Creedmoor with a 20in barrel, topped with a 3-12x Weaver scope.

Figured it would be a good test for the rifle since I built it in July. Rifle was not optimal for F-Class shooting but I wanted to see what it would do.

We had good weather, sunny but windy and stated to get windier as the day went on.

Signed in for the match, and because it was my first time there, they asked if I had any 1000yd experience. I hadn't shot a 1k match in nearly 4yrs

Before the start of the match they ask that if you were not sure about your dope, they had a target sized gong set up at 1k to shoot at with a spotter to get you on target.

My rifle is setup for a 130gr Hornady ELD doing 2750fps with a 300yd zero.

I had a really good zero and data on my rifle and at first I wasnt going shoot at the gong. But I was the only person at the match with a gas gun and had the shortest barrel. So I took a shot at the gong, I was last to shoot at it. The RO sets up behind me, he says whenever you are ready. Bang! 2secs later Ding! First round hit.

I was happy that my dope was on, as it cut down on any questions about my ability. Shot the rest of the match, like I said, rifle was not optimal for this type comp.

I didnt score very well, but I never missed the target over the course of 70 rounds, even when the wind picked and started blowing, I kept it on paper. All my shots were in the black, but 1000yds is a long way with only a 12 power scope. My scorer commented that my rifle shot better than he expected for being a gas gun.

All in all it was a fun weekend at a great range. I will have to try to get back up there.

Pic of me sending one downrange.

Specs:
Upper/lower - Aero Precision M5
Barrel - Ballistic Advantage in 6.5 Creedmoor .875 at gas block 20in length
Handguard - Aero Precision 15in Keymod
Trigger - Larue Tactical MBT-2s
BCG- Toolcraft
Scope - Weaver Tactical 3-12x42mm
Mount - Bushnell PEPR QR 30mm
Bipod - Harris 6-9BRMS

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Dave M
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 1000yd match at Camp Blanding

Post by Dave M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:41 pm

That is some great stuff

Sent from my 9006W using Tapatalk

g.willikers
Life Member
Life Member

Post by g.willikers » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:24 am

Great shooting.
Thanks for the report.
Too bad we don't have more folks in the forum competing and telling us about it.
"Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent."

bonjorno2
Life Member
Life Member

Post by bonjorno2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:49 am

That's pretty good and I am sure you had fun!
Focus on your front sight... the rest should be blurry!

JohnMeridith

Post by JohnMeridith » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am

You should have pulled out a ruger charger first

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:16 pm

I thought Blanding was locked down for civilians about 10 yrs ago??
Go Trump!

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 pm

Hehe Thx guys.

JMeredith, maybe next time :)

Dave,
The matches are run by the Camp Blanding museum. They have been doing matches the last 2 years as far as I know. They run it as a shooting league. You can look it up on Facebook and online.

They host mid range matches also, the long range are only like 2-3 times a year.

I only went because there is no shooting at PMRPC because of damage to the High Power range due to Irma. The alcoves and walkway moved from all the water and wind. Who knows when it will be back on line.
I normally never attended the Blanding matches because of scheduling with PMRPC.

SY
Tough times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create tough times.

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:00 am

"I only went because there is no shooting at PMRPC because of damage to the High Power range due to Irma. The alcoves and walkway moved from all the water and wind."

Wow - that much damage is very surprising!

Back when Francis and Jeanie blew threw town, I was tempted to hole up in the target shack with my kids. Sturdy building, well protected from the winds.

Thanks Steve!
Go Trump!

arkhangel5

Post by arkhangel5 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 pm

So here is another shot what Camp Blanding is like.

If you zoom in on the pic you can make out the targets all the way downrange, and you can make out the steel gong all the way on right. I ranged the targets with my Sig Kilo2000 rangefinder and it said the distance to target was 1004yds.

The lady in the pic finished second in Open class, she only dropped 11pts for the day. She was shooting a straight .284, 180gr 7mm bullet going ~2750fps.

On a side note, they were supposed to have started emergency repairs to the High Power range at Port Malabar. We hope to be shooting again by Mid November.

SY