CMP sold out of service grade Garands?

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
M14man
Life Member
Life Member

CMP sold out of service grade Garands?

Post by M14man » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

I just checked the CMP web site. They are sold out of their service grade Garands.
Have the better grade, and the rack grades.

freezerman1
Life Member
Life Member

Re: CMP sold out of service grade Garands?

Post by freezerman1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 pm

A whole bunch of them sitting in South Korea I believe our genius President blocked the re-importation of. [smilie=014.gif]

photohause
Life Member
Life Member

Post by photohause » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:23 pm

I tink the secratery of state is de mastermind...not the Crow...the Craw
What new gun my dear, this old thing?

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:41 am

It's been my experience (especially when hand-selecting @ Anniston) - that many of their rack grades would otherwise qualify as service grades (good TE/MW) except for a "dark bore", which usually cleans up quite well. This is due to the fact that they grade the rifles before they ever run a patch down the bore.

Unless things have changed significantly, I'd suggest taking a MW/TE gauge and a boresnake with you & selecting your own @ the CMP Store. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality of rifle you'll get at the rack grade price.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sterling991 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 am

I was just there last month. Bought a VERY nice Springfield for 595. Had it out to the range and it ran just great. I HIGHLY recommend you going to Anniston and hand picking one out of the many that they offer.

If you look up my name you can see the entire trip!

Good Hunting.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:20 pm

F.Y.I. Orest Michaels posted this yesterday in the Garand section of the CMP Forums:
" during the spring and early summer we found quite a few service grades, but in the last few dozen crates - most have been field grade or less. A peek into the whole next row of crates indicates that we should expect no different. As a result, we have cut off accepting orders for the service grade until we build up a large enough inventory or the trend changes. We've been through this before where we had months of only the lower grade.

No sense in us taking orders that may take months to fill and have to respond to the frantic daily calls and emails on status of order and when will it ship. We sell what we have when we have it."
Looks like they will be getting them again, plus it is Camp Perry High Power Rifle time [ Aug. 7-17 ] and they send up a lot of rifles to be sold on site at the matches, which depletes inventory for mail-order sales.
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

djmfl

Post by djmfl » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:22 pm

jmikeb653 is right. It is National Match time folks. They move almost everything to Camp Perry until after the matches (August 17th, I think). If you've never been to the National's you're missing a real treat. You don't need to shoot in the matches to enjoy walking around the vendor area. CMP takes tons of rifles, accessories, and ammo to the National's and sell's most of them there really cutting short their stock.
The only acceptable form of gun control is the X Ring!

Gunnut42

Post by Gunnut42 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:05 pm

I have a buddy thats been talking about selling his Korean war vintage Garand,
I will ask him what he wants for it.
Its rough around the edges but it has a shiney bore and should be reasonable .
Drop me an email if u are interested .
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum ... If You Want Peace Pepare for War

wakkoss
BANNED

Post by wakkoss » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:34 pm

Sterling, how long was the drive again?
NRA Life Member - GOA Life Member
"That guy way-co, or whacko, he's just an a;;h;;e!" "yep...still an a;;h;;e"
Mom says when I grow up, I could be anything I wanted to...so I became an a;;h;;e!

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sterling991 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:47 pm

I think like 12 hours...... I wish they had m1 carbines I would go back but you gotta go once. It's very cool

Myah

Post by Myah » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:32 am

What are some other stores where we can find these sort of items.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Myah wrote:What are some other stores where we can find these sort of items.
i don't know your location but Dow Arms in Dade City http://dowarms.com/ is the only place i know of in Florida. Call first as i have not been there in years. On line, Fulton Armory is a place to check out: http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1-Garand-Rifles.aspx but you will be better off taking the time to fill out the paperwork and get one from the CMP regardless of the grade..... jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

Hannadog

Post by Hannadog » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:22 am

I went to the Anniston store 10/24/12. There were no rack grade rifles available. Lots of H&R and Springfield field grade, but no Winchesters. Lots of service grade. Some with new wood. I picked up a new wood service grade H&R for $625.00 plus shipping. City, County & State combined sales tax is 10%. Over night Fed-Ex shipping is $24.95. You get a new CMP hard plastic padded rifle case with the rifle. This was my first time at the store. It was a little busy or disorganized and took me about one hour to process the sale after I picked out a rifle. Busy day with about 18+/- people in the store getting rifles. One guy bought 10! Very nice folks and they do have items for sale not listed on the web sight. Example: I picked up some used leather slings for $2.00 each. They had boxes of 15 round rusty carbine mags for $5.00. Drive time back to Jacksonville, FL was 6.5 hours.

Hippie

Post by Hippie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:29 pm

When I was there in June they had tons of service grade H&Rs. I picked up one the three service grade Winchesters they had that day.