CMP to receive 86,000 Garands

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

CMP to receive 86,000 Garands

Post by Odessaman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Good news for fans of the M1 Garand. The Civilian Marksmanship Program is expected to receive 86,000 of these surplus WWII rifles from the government of the Philippines.

This is according to Gina Johnson, General Manager of the CMP South operations in Alabama.

Johnson provided the information late on Friday, April 7, in response to a discussion at The M1 Garand Enthusiasts Group public Facebook page.

“…(the) CMP will be receiving the rifles once the Phillipines prepares them for shipment. CMP reimburses the Army transportation costs of getting these rifles back as they have with every other shipment sent to us. We do not know when these rifles will be shipped back, but they have been approved…” Johnson said in a post to that group.
http://www.alloutdoor.com/2017/04/07/br ... Newsletter

=:e =:e =:e /:f 'MERICA!
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Villafuego

Re: CMP to receive 86,000 Garands

Post by Villafuego » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I hope that they are in at least "serviceable" condition....and really wish the CMP would limit purchases to a 1-per-type-per-lifetime.

The flippers that make a living buying / selling / parting-out CMP weapons are already getting their finances in order.....they are the only reason you can't buy Garands all day long for 700.00

Skoll

Post by Skoll » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Villafuego wrote: The flippers that make a living buying / selling / parting-out CMP weapons are already getting their finances in order.....they are the only reason you can't buy Garands all day long for 700.00
This is the reason I don't own one. I assume 86,000 Garands though would absolutely flood the market and tank prices instantly. Supposedly we have hundreds of thousands of M1s just sitting in South Korea waiting to come home as well.

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 am

How many M1 Garands have been sold by the NRA, DMC and CMP thru the years?
How many M1s got run thru Captain Crunch before Congress stopped the Clinton anti-gun regime?
How many M1s are sitting in the mud off Africa, Italy, France and the various Islands in the Pacific and Aleutian islands?
How many M1s were stashed in barns or otherwise thru Europe after they were picked up by locals after an action?
How many M1s were dumped off troop ships bringing our trooper back from WWII and Korea.
Only about 6.5 million were made from 1936 to 1958. Many were loaned to stop the advance of communism how well were they cared for?
Just asking :ber
I AM THE GUN LOBBY AND I VOTE!

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 am

Skoll wrote:
This is the reason I don't own one. I assume 86,000 Garands though would absolutely flood the market and tank prices instantly. Supposedly we have hundreds of thousands of M1s just sitting in South Korea waiting to come home as well.
The value of an M1 Garand has done nothing but increase since the day they were made. There has never been a significant drop in their value AFAIK.

If you want a Garand at the best market price there is only one way to acquire it other than by gifting, a desperate seller, or inheritance and that is through the CMP. Therefore, every reseller is going to ask a price that is higher than what the CMP charges because the person who is buying it does not want to go through all the hoops of buying one from the CMP directly. Why would anyone expect different? Any Garand that is for sale now was at one time sold by the CMP, and theoretically every transaction involves a profit. If you don't buy one now you will be one year older when you do, and you will pay more than today's price. I don't believe for a minute that the CMP would bring in 86,000 new rifles and sell them cheaper than what they have been selling for in the past.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm

The days of $295 Greek Rack Grades are over.

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm

P5 guy wrote:The days of $295 Greek Rack Grades are over.
Understandable, but how are you going to justify 1000$ for a CMP shooter
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:06 am

Casual wrote:
P5 guy wrote:The days of $295 Greek Rack Grades are over.
Understandable, but how are you going to justify 1000$ for a CMP shooter
If they do not move the price will be adjusted, but they will sell as always. How much are the Springfield M1As, now? That is the next closest rifle selling today.
Granted they are new products compared to the newest 6m Garand. Springfield M1s on cast receivers ran about 50% more expensive than the CMP Service Grade. Remember how many posting on battle rifles.com complaining the Springfields were poor quality?
:ber