the various CMP imports

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

the various CMP imports

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Would anyone have an online source talking about the various CMP imports (Korean, Greek, US mil), their quality, and how to recognize them (serial ranges, typical markings, paint schemes or bluing).

I didn't realize I was woefully ignorant about the different kinds of M1 Garand imports till I got there. ](*,)
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

Odessaman
Life Member
Life Member

Re: the various CMP imports

Post by Odessaman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:40 pm

CMP has its own forum - they will likely have the info you're seeking.

http://forums.thecmp.org/
~ Odessaman ~

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
― Mark Twain

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 am

Orlando Paulitician wrote:Would anyone have an online source talking about the various CMP imports (Korean, Greek, US mil), their quality, and how to recognize them (serial ranges, typical markings, paint schemes or bluing).

I didn't realize I was woefully ignorant about the different kinds of M1 Garand imports till I got there. ](*,)
The rifles CMP gets are all US made. Springfield and Winchester are WW2, Springfield during Korea and after, IHC and H&R are post Korea. They were 'loaned' to many countries and when those countries retire them they get sent back to the USA. I believe the Italians were the only other country to produce M1s. CMP does not offer those.

CMP stopped releasing info as to where the rifles were returned from years ago. I picked up 4 some years ago rumored to have been returned from the Greek Air Force. One was a Springfield that I swear, if it had more than 100 rounds put through it I'll eat my hat. Beautiful rife.

The link provided above give you all you need to know.

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Racist Infidel wrote:
Orlando Paulitician wrote:Would anyone have an online source talking about the various CMP imports (Korean, Greek, US mil), their quality, and how to recognize them (serial ranges, typical markings, paint schemes or bluing).

The rifles CMP gets are all US made. Springfield and Winchester are WW2, Springfield during Korea and after, IHC and H&R are post Korea. They were 'loaned' to many countries and when those countries retire them they get sent back to the USA. I believe the Italians were the only other country to produce M1s. CMP does not offer those.

CMP stopped releasing info as to where the rifles were returned from years ago. I picked up 4 some years ago rumored to have been returned from the Greek Air Force. One was a Springfield that I swear, if it had more than 100 rounds put through it I'll eat my hat. Beautiful rife.

The link provided above give you all you need to know.
Extremely informative. :ber

Thanks!

Question, does the fact that IHC and HRA are post Korea mean they weren't used in Vietnam, since we had (I'm guessing) largely moved to the m16?
Nathan Lewis' testimony before congress wrote: According to a study of 775 floating currencies...the average life expectancy of a floating fiat currency was found to be 27 years.
Ron Paul's Farewell Address wrote:Real patriotism is the willingness to challenge the government when it's wrong,

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:49 pm

AFAIK, the M-14, adopted in '53 IIRC, was standard issue during the early years in Nam. The M-16 was adopted later.

Just an FYI. When the Korean conflict started the Springfield Armory was our only M1 armory. Contracts were signed with H&R and IHC to have alternate manufactures on line. The conflict ended before any H&R or IHC rifles were issued to US troops.

If you are considering getting one, I would make my move pretty quick. There are only so many left out there. CMP stopped taking orders for M1s just recently. They are back to receiving orders but the end of the line is in sight. [smilie=012.gif]

Orlando Paulitician
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Orlando Paulitician » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:04 pm

I did. When I did the road trip to Anniston, I picked up a Service grade.

Tag says RM1 Service SA, Muzzle 1, Throat 1+,

External Receiver is an H&R in the 5.6 million serial range,
bolt is in the 6.5 million serial range, with stampings HRA (same thing as H&R I presume) and *U*
Barrel stamped an H&R in 6.5 million serial range (non-matching) with extra characters spaced out at the end

I'm jonesing to get back to buy an SA, Winchester, and now IHC if I can find one thanks to you [smilie=011.gif]