Cheek weld for a M1A Socom

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Cheek weld for a M1A Socom

Post by cubanstang50 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:30 pm

I am not gonna spend 500 to 1k for a stock for my socom 1. I did see the archangel stock for like 275 on amazon. It is nice but if i am gonna put any money torward a stock its gonna be one that I really like. My dilemma is either buy an aftermarket cheek weld or make my own which is no problem in me doing soo. If you had to buy one which would it be? One of the ones you drill through the stock or one with straps? Also I would like a scope that i can shoot up to 500-600 yards tops without breaking the bank if that is possible lol. thanks
3rd Battalion/8th Marines Kilo Co.

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Cheek weld for a M1A Socom

Post by flcracker » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:24 am

This.

http://www.karstenskydexcheekrest.com/

Three models to choose from. $60 and a bit of work drilling two holes in your factory stock.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:05 pm

flcracker wrote:This.

http://www.karstenskydexcheekrest.com/

Three models to choose from. $60 and a bit of work drilling two holes in your factory stock.
I was leaning torwards one like that. But i thought if i built one with some foam and hockey tape that it would be pretty cool. I need to buy a rail and scope. Most likely i am gonna get this rail cause its looks the nicest and i have readgood reviews on it too.
http://www.m14.ca/M14_M1A_CASM_Scope_Mount.html

To locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel his assault by fire and close combat.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:19 am

Well, if you never plan on using your iron sights, you can go with that model of scope mount......

But there are several models out there that are better engineered - 3-point mounting actually using the scope mount hole that the M14/M1A was designed with AND allowing use of iron sights (some models can be used with the scope in place, others require QD mounts so you can take the scope off to use the irons) . The Sadlak mount is the cat's ass, IMHO, and does both - and the Sadlak mount is regarded as the most forgiving Brookfield-style mount with respect to the variations in receiver geometry.

Before you purchase a mount, go here and do some research - http://m14forum.com/. Buy once, cry once.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:37 am

I get shooters at Project Appleseed events who have a new scope mounted on their rifle and can't get a proper cheek weld. I always carry some 3/4" ID X 1/2" thick foam pipe insulation and a roll of VeTape. Slip a 5" length of foam over the comb of the stock and take a couple of wraps with the VeTape and you are good to go. Makes great comb built ups and does absolutely no harm the the stock.

avmech
Contributor
Contributor

Post by avmech » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:02 pm

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:30 pm

Well i finally decided and am not going with a scope. Instead i am adding a small red dot and keeping the iron sights. Have to take out the stripper clip and replace it with a saga stripper clip sight base. I think this will be the best of both without adding any more weight to this cow. [smilie=011.gif]

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Try toten an M1! However, that weight sure does make them a pleasure to shoot. [smilie=cheers1.gif]

cubanstang50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cubanstang50 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Hahaha, just holding it inside of the house sucks! Good thing it only goes from car to range lol.