Dow Arms Room

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Armybikos
Executive Member
Executive Member

Dow Arms Room

Post by Armybikos » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Just wanted to express my gratitude to Bruce Dow of Dow's Arms Room, and give everyone a heads up if you need any help with vintage rifles Bruce is the man. I had an issue with an M1 Garand I have and was out of my depth. I had heard of Dow's Arms room and knew they had a good reputation so I called to make sure they were open and then just walked in unannounced.

I was greeted and asked how I could be helped and I showed them the rifle. Bruce came over himself to take a look and in less then 5 minutes figured out the problem and fixed it. I figured I would have to leave the rifle there for a month or so but he did it all while I waited and explained in detail what he was doing and why. Everyone at the store was extremely friendly and Bruce took some time to explain some finer details of the M1. He is truly an expert on the M1 Garand and know all the minutia and idiosyncrasies of the system.

Bruce gave my M1 a clean bill of health and charged me $70 in parts, I gave him $100 thanked him for working on it while I was there and schooling me on the finer points of the M1 gas system and trigger pack. Do not hesitate to go to him for any type of gun work.

Dow Arms Room
19250 US-301, Dade City, FL 33523
(352) 567-9800

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Dow Arms Room

Post by Racist Infidel » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:12 pm

So what was wrong with the rifle?

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:55 pm

I'm bettin either a torn off finger nail or a hunk of bloody skin from the previous owners M1 thumb, jamin somethin up [smilie=011.gif]
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

flcracker
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flcracker » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:24 am

+1 for Bruce Dow. He diagnosed a precaution ejectulation problem that my "Tanker" Garand was having. He used a timing block to determine where the misalignment was occurring, then by trial and error found a bullet guide that worked just right with the other partially worn parts in the action. $45 and an hour's lesson on the Garand and I was back in business.
and some rin up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stanes to pieces wi' hammers, like sae mony road-makers run daft - they say it is to see how the warld was made!

One45
Life Member
Life Member

Post by One45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Armybikos wrote:Just wanted to express my gratitude to Bruce Dow of Dow's Arms Room, and give everyone a heads up if you need any help with vintage rifles Bruce is the man. I had an issue with an M1 Garand I have and was out of my depth. I had heard of Dow's Arms room and knew they had a good reputation so I called to make sure they were open and then just walked in unannounced.

I was greeted and asked how I could be helped and I showed them the rifle. Bruce came over himself to take a look and in less then 5 minutes figured out the problem and fixed it. I figured I would have to leave the rifle there for a month or so but he did it all while I waited and explained in detail what he was doing and why. Everyone at the store was extremely friendly and Bruce took some time to explain some finer details of the M1. He is truly an expert on the M1 Garand and know all the minutia and idiosyncrasies of the system.

Bruce gave my M1 a clean bill of health and charged me $70 in parts, I gave him $100 thanked him for working on it while I was there and schooling me on the finer points of the M1 gas system and trigger pack. Do not hesitate to go to him for any type of gun work.

Dow Arms Room
19250 US-301, Dade City, FL 33523
(352) 567-9800
What are his hours?
It's a Gator nation.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I think its only Wed thru Sat now, always call first
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

One45
Life Member
Life Member

Post by One45 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks Rent.
It's a Gator nation.

Armybikos
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Armybikos » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Racist Infidel wrote:So what was wrong with the rifle?
It fired out of battery. I initially thought it was a slam fire but after the hit the rifle took I want to get it looked at in depth. Bruce determined that some one had taken changed the angles and rounded the edges of the hammer hooks. I thought the trigger was 'mushy" and had lost a lot of the 2nd stage. the bolt was about 90% closed and the hammer followed the bolt forward and the rest is history. Evidently the firing pin notch on the receiver bridge helps stop slam fires, not hammer follow. The hammer was an original SA and looked to be in good condition and evidently was re-parkerized, but if you compare it to an out of the wrapper hammer it was obviously altered now that I know what I am looking at.

The offending round

8th round that was blown out with the clip

Galling of locking lug recess, the only real damage besides the stock

It blew rear handguard 20 feet behind me

Racist Infidel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Racist Infidel » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Unless the bolt is closed completely the hammer can't hit the firing pin. I doubt the issue was hammer follow down.

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:40 pm

Bruce is a stand up guy.

He is very good at analysis but I had an obscure problem that I found solution on internet after /Bruce gauged my M1 and replaced some parts.

All appeared in spec.

Still clip came up after a few rounds but did not come out of the gun.

Problem was over parked en bloc clips from cmp hxp ammo sold on the clips.

each clip has proof mark in small circle on back of clip.

If you cant read it clip is probably over parked.

Tumbled the enblocs in walnut shells for a few days and clips were fine

Bruce was very appreciative as he is eager to learn new things when I told him how I finally solved the problem.

He has done some very good work for me. He is getting pretty old (so am I ).

I always stop by his tables at the Lakeland show to visit A true wealth of knowledge between those ears.

He and Alice are great people to know.