M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best places to look for a M1 Garand to buy

Post by jmikeb653 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Gregh181 wrote:BWT?
Fed-Ex.
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:44 pm

Big
White
Truck

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:49 pm

CC charge showed up today from the CMP. Seems like it's moving along smoothly now
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am

Got the Garand delivered to my door this morning by Fed Ex. Total time to get the rifle through the CMP, 40 days

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Very Nice!... Congrats!
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Milled trigger guard =D>
NICE!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Top handguard is a little off color with the rest of the stock, that normal for CMP stocks?

NRA Benefactor Member

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:35 pm

New stock or old? Mix-n-match on old ones is OK. What serial #? What bbl date? etc etc
Go Trump!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:38 pm

New stock. This is the description from CMP

M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Harrington & Richardson receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture. Minor Pitting may be present.

5608148 is the Serial # i believe

NRA Benefactor Member

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:02 pm

OK, thanks. Any wear on the rcvr? They did have NOS rifles a year ago - amazing. 308 0r 3006?

CMP is usually eager to please. Send them a better pic (better lighting, close up). Ask them to send a different HG, and they prolly will. Offer to send back the one you don't want.
Go Trump!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:03 pm

No wear at all, looks brand new. Its 30.06

NRA Benefactor Member

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:37 pm

" 5608148 is the Serial # i believe"
My H&R is Ser. # 5633XXX and has a 5-55 H&R BBL, so i would guess about 1-55 Mfg. date give or take a month. A good Info source in addition to the CMP Forums is http://usriflecal30m1.com/ and Riverbank Armory has a lot of parts in Stock http://www.riverbankarmory.com/parts7.html as does Numrichs http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ + others. My recommendation is to start getting together some spares as soon as you can afford too. Clip Ejector spring, Clip Latch spring, Clip Latch, Hammer spring, Op-Rod spring, Bolt rebuild kit [ Firing pin, Ejector and spring & Extractor and spring ] Garand Combo tool.....Minimum. All together less than $100- $125, although prices are rising as the N.O.S. stuff runs out. I have been to Anniston twice and all-matching wood is rare. It is fairly easy to stain to more closely match and the CMP Forums have a lot of good info on the subject. When you go shoot it, don't forget to make sure the gas cyl. plug is tight. Bring a large screw driver or M1 Garand combo tool to tighten it up if it loosens during firing... i have seen a few guys cursing their non-cycling Garand when it turned out just to be a loose gas. cylinder plug. Enjoy it and give us a range report!... Jim
Last edited by jmikeb653 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wakkoss wrote:

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Wil do the the gas plug. I have the garand gear plug I'm gonna put on it so I'll keep my eye out on it tightness during firing

NRA Benefactor Member

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:53 am

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/article/5412681

A brief article about the M1 Rifle. /:f

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:54 am

So, when are we getting a range report? Just asking. =:e :ber

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:12 am

P5 guy wrote:So, when are we getting a range report? Just asking. =:e :ber
Still waiting on my CMP ammo. Their taking forever so far

NRA Benefactor Member

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:49 pm

Gregh181 wrote: Still waiting on my CMP ammo. Their taking forever so far
Bummer [smilie=pdt_xtremez_12.gif]

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Finally got the rifle out today to the range. Fired about 30 rounds through it. I had installed the Garand Gear plug myself about a month ago. I wont lie I took a scewdriver and just tightened it on. Every other shot I would hear a click and no shot. I ran the bolt back and the next round would fire. This happened quite often till the end where the rifle finally started to feed a little better. I remember reading the instructions for the plug that your supposed to tighten it down with so many pounds of torque. Gonna take it up to the gunsmith and have him mess with it. Other than that this rifle was a true tack driver.

NRA Benefactor Member

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 pm

[smilie=bounce-74.gif]
Gregh181 wrote:Finally got the rifle out today to the range. Fired about 30 rounds through it. I had installed the Garand Gear plug myself about a month ago. I wont lie I took a scewdriver and just tightened it on. Every other shot I would hear a click and no shot. I ran the bolt back and the next round would fire. This happened quite often till the end where the rifle finally started to feed a little better. I remember reading the instructions for the plug that your supposed to tighten it down with so many pounds of torque. Gonna take it up to the gunsmith and have him mess with it. Other than that this rifle was a true tack driver.

[smilie=bounce-74.gif]

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:51 pm

I assume you were shooting CMP-HXP ammo. If that is the case i would dissassemble and clean the bolt thoroughly. There are several very good Youtube video's about this and it requires no special tools or knowledge. Do it in an old shoe box so you don't have anything sail away. Pay attention to the firing pin tip..... there should be no burrs and it should not wobble as you roll it between forefinger and thumb, or along the edge of a table or desk. Make sure there is no gunk softening the forward motion of the firing pin in the bolt body itself.... a common occurance. I had the same thing happen to me [ light primer strikes & misfire ] and it was a bent firing pin tip that was scraping on the inside of the firing pin hole in the bolt face.....[ creating burrs ]. If the Op-rod is fully cycling the bolt and resetting the trigger, Then your Garand Gear plug is doing what it is supposed to do. However if it is short-stroking slightly and the bolt is not fully resetting the hammer every time then that MIGHT be the issue.[ Hammer follows the bolt forward and you have a light primer strike as inertia bounces it off the firing pin, slightly dimpling the primer.] Another possibility is that the new stock that CMP puts on these Service Grade rifles is slightly too fat where the flat plate of the trigger housing bottom contacts the wood on both sides. The fix for this is to slightly sand or [ CAREFULLY! ] Dremel both sides in small increments..... test fitting frequently. The trigger group/housing, should firmly snap in without too much force, and after insuring it is unloaded!!..... cycle the action and pull the trigger, while paying attention to the hammer reset. You can see the rear of the bolt and the hammer thru the slot on the op-rod side of the reciever. This raises the entire Trigger housing so the hammer is able to be fully engaged by the bolt as it travels to the rear. Trust me.... this process of getting it dialed in is what transforms it from A Garand, to YOUR Garand, and a much-prized possession, I know my 2 are!.... Jim
wakkoss wrote: