Best places to look for a M1 Garand to buy

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Best places to look for a M1 Garand to buy

Post by Gregh181 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:45 pm

Ok, I know some of you on here know a crap load about Garand's and where to buy them. I wanna spend around $1000-1100 on one and wanna try to find the best places to look. I'm not a member of CMP so I'm just gonna state that right off the bat. I've been looking on Gunbroker so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Make Peace or Die - 1st Battalion/5th Marines - Machine Gunner

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Dickie
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best places to look for a M1 Garand to buy

Post by Dr. Dickie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:39 am

Gregh181 wrote:Ok, I know some of you on here know a crap load about Garand's and where to buy them. I wanna spend around $1000-1100 on one and wanna try to find the best places to look. I'm not a member of CMP so I'm just gonna state that right off the bat. I've been looking on Gunbroker so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
It is butt easy to be a member of CMP.
Although I must say, I am not sure whether at the moment they have any good Garands for offer. They have said they still have a lot more to go through, as a start I would check to see if CMP has any "service grade" Garands. If they do, that is your best bet. You get it delivered right to your front door.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, let’s put America back to the Republic the founding fathers intended!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:34 am

Cmp forums
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Locally to you, check your gunshops/pawn shops.... a pawn shop by me had one last time i was in there a couple of weeks ago. Bruce Dow at Dow Arms Room has some for sale sometimes 19250 Us Highway 301 Dade City, FL 33523 ( 352 ) 567-9800 Also i bet AAA gun & Pawn in Deland has some..... They seem to have 1 of everything in there. BUT.... if you can wait the 3 months or so the CMP is the way to go. For only $650 shipped to your door you get a Service Grade Garand that has been checked out by a Certified Garand armorer AND you support the CMP. All you need is to join the Garand Collectors Association http://www.thegca.org/ and have your CWP or DD-214 or be current or ex Leo/Corrections etc.
http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/eligibility.htm Good luck and post pics. when you get one!... jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

DaveM
Life Member
Life Member

Post by DaveM » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:42 pm

Join GSSF for $35.

GSSF Now Part of the CMP!!
The GLOCK Sport Shooting Foundation just received it's affiliation with the Civilian Marksmanship Program for 2013. Our affiliation number is 33138. Our members can now take advantage of this program!

Dave

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm

Service Grade Specials from the CMP run just shy of a grand. New barrel and stock if you want a shooter that is the best deal going at this time. CMP has made it too easy to qualify to buy their Garands you have no excuse not to buy from them.
You'll have await of maybe 60 days, get your tail in gear and buy from them.
CMP has all the stuff, en-bloc clips, proper mil-surp ammo, information can be found at www.thecmp.org.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't mind waiting a couple months for the CMP as long as they have them for sale. I love the thought of a Garand armorer inspecting it beforehand though, that sells me right there

Looks like they have a service grade and an excellent grade available for the same price. Any advice on which would be better to get?
Last edited by Gregh181 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Benjamin Franklin

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Dave P » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Greg, be advised that some models are 308, while others are 30-06 (in case you have piles of one ammo type in your stash.)

I have always been very satisfied with the Service grades ($650)- they may show some use, but probably not much. History at its finest.

(Also very satisfied with a Special 308 I got, with new stock and bbl, and re-parked. 1942. $1000).
Go Trump!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:23 pm

Was gonna join the DAV until they asked me for $250 while I was trying to sign up ](*,) So I just joined the Garand Collectors Association instead. Reading online it looks like they notify the CMP I'm a member. I'm gonna order through mail (easiest way?) wait till i get my membership card, copy it, copy my birth certificate, DD214, and DL and it looks like I'll meet all the requirements.

NRA Benefactor Member

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Gregh181 wrote:Was gonna join the DAV until they asked me for $250 while I was trying to sign up ](*,) So I just joined the Garand Collectors Association instead. Reading online it looks like they notify the CMP I'm a member. I'm gonna order through mail (easiest way?) wait till i get my membership card, copy it, copy my birth certificate, DD214, and DL and it looks like I'll meet all the requirements.
Looks like you are in! :ber
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Post by P5 guy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Gregh181 wrote:Was gonna join the DAV until they asked me for $250 while I was trying to sign up ](*,) So I just joined the Garand Collectors Association instead. Reading online it looks like they notify the CMP I'm a member. I'm gonna order through mail (easiest way?) wait till i get my membership card, copy it, copy my birth certificate, DD214, and DL and it looks like I'll meet all the requirements.

That's the best! You will not be disappointed.
GCA (Garand Collector's Assoc) does a nice quarterly magazine, works with the CMP at Camp Perry for the matches and has a shooting team. Welcome to the club!
=D>

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:15 pm

Did you see this one? viewtopic.php?f=10&t=119328
wakkoss wrote:

hurricanecharlie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hurricanecharlie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:14 am

lakeland gun show
there were quite a few, both on tables and walking around this past weekend
cmp join the garand collectors association to qualify to buy
yoiu get a real nice magazine 4 times a year and get on their email listmay have a line on 8 from an estate email or pm me

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Mailed out my CMP order today. Will update again once my Garand arrives to show an accurate time for them to ship

NRA Benefactor Member

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jay561 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:42 am

Mailed a order for 2 spring fields service grades in December. Seems like when they closed over the holidays they got slammed.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:46 am

Jay561 wrote:Mailed a order for 2 spring fields service grades in December. Seems like when they closed over the holidays they got slammed.
You pay by CC? It said it was the quickest way so i paid with mine.

NRA Benefactor Member

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jay561 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 am

Yup. I also included a begging not for WWII garands. They did already offer me HRAs but I already have those. Hope I can get at least one of the international harvesters later this year.

Did you score any of the ap from last month? I maxed out my 10 orders for the year for that.

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 am

No I really need to get on that. I'll be excited once i see the CC charge go through though

NRA Benefactor Member

Jay561
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jay561 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:54 am

Well once you get one from them they tend to multiply. Enjoy!

Gregh181
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Gregh181 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:55 am

Jay561 wrote:Well once you get one from them they tend to multiply. Enjoy!
Whats the deal with them and M1 Carbines? They ever getting any back in stock?

NRA Benefactor Member