1944 Garand Value

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
BlacktalonAWD

1944 Garand Value

Post by BlacktalonAWD » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 pm

I have a gentleman that is interested in trading me a garand, i know a little about them but not much, it is a springfield made in 1944 with matching reciever, bolt and barrel, supposedly everything original except for a new stock, he claims it is not a cmp rifle, what do i look for to tell originality and what kind of value it has? He wants to trade even for a $1000 gun, I know you can get them from cmp for as little as $600, but this one seems to be worth a little more

P5 guy
Life Member
Life Member

Re: 1944 Garand Value

Post by P5 guy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:44 pm

A welded receiver? Bluesky import? Muzzle wear? Throat erosion? Lock bar sights? It is very doubtful that the M1 is original like from the factory in MA. I would not pay $1k without knowing the above and some kind of documentation.
My 1955 correct grade didn't cost that much when I bought it a while ago and it is verified.
I would see if Bruce Dow would take a look at it first. Dow's Arms Room on US301 in Dade City isn't all that far from you.
/:f

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:15 pm

"matching reciever, bolt and barrel" Really? and did he do it on the kitchen table with his dremel? I also call BS.... they have been selling these from the CMP for 50+ years.... plus being imported and domestically manufactured from parts, unless he is an 85+ year old guy with a provable WW2 military record and has a pic. with him holding the rifle where you can see the ser.# is the same.... pass. You can get a Service Grade with known and tested standards for all parts including Throat erosion and Muzzle wear for $625. Speaking of rewelds, a buddy of mine called me on a Sunday a couple of years ago and begged me to come down to the WPB Gunshow to look at a Garand he was interested in buying.... i asked if i could take out the trigger group out and inspect it.... the seller said no, and i told my over-enthused buddy to pass on it.... well Dummy paid almost $950 OTD anyway due to the line of B.S., this guy was slinging, and when he brought it over for me to check it.... toothpicks came flying out when i took off the trigger assy, and you guessed it, it was a rewelded demilled reciever. It rattled when put back together and the one time we shot it the bolt would stick back after every couple of shots because the reciever wasn't square.... you have been warned! Jim :ber
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

Pak75
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pak75 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Tag on what jimkeb posted. There are guys out there who have made a good fortune buying dozens of CMP rifles and swapping out parts to make a "correct" rifle and then selling them at a premium price. Buyer beware. For the same price the guy is asking you can get a certifed "Correct Grade" rifle from the CMP. If you're not into collecting and would rather have a shooter then the Service Grade makes much more sense. Spend the extra $375 you save on a few cans of ammo from them and have fun. All my guns from the CMP have been Service Grades and I have been completely happy. [smilie=pdt_xtremez_30.gif]

BTW I am NOT the buddy he was talking about. He is also not getting back the Springer NM Garand he traded to me. [smilie=011.gif]
Der Krieg findet immer einen ausweg.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:13 pm

[quote] " He is also not getting back the Springer NM Garand he traded to me. "
That's not what your wife says! [smilie=011.gif]
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."