M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Post Reply
User avatar
narcosis2001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: St Pete

M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by narcosis2001 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:37 pm

I've got the 308 bug and saw a socom 16 at the Tampa show and have been reading and watching vids ever since..
Has many avid fans, and just as many who say the 16 1/2 " barrel is too short and go with a Scout of fullsize..
I like the fact it's short and has the small built in rail.
Will red dots hold up on this rifle or do you need to run a scope?
Any input is appreciated. Looks like a beautiful piece but I don't know if one of the following is better than the others?
Socom 16, socom II, and Scout.
Thanks [smilie=popcorn.gif]

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 22851
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:46 pm

my personal opinion is a 308 like that is meant to be a battle rifle, but remember that old saying about things that are short and over compensating for something else :-k

with regards to a red dot or scope, you'll want one made for the 308 especially if you get into BDC, its gonna be expensive, like almost as much as the rifle , keep that in mind
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
narcosis2001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: St Pete

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by narcosis2001 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:03 pm

thx Rent.. I had $$ set aside to buy a new Arsenal slr101 and then saw this last week. I know you are also into AK's so would you spend your $ on a new slr101 or an M1A?

User avatar
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 22851
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:09 pm
Location: Finally relaxin in the country in Citrus Co

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:54 pm

is the SLR101 single stack ????
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

User avatar
narcosis2001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: St Pete

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by narcosis2001 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:35 am

No.. Arsenal has made them to accept hi capacity mags..

User avatar
ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 am
Location: Davenport, FL
Contact:

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by ipscscott » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 am

I love my SOCOM16. Love it so much that it's my SHTF rifle. I like the ability to punch big holes in/through things.

Scoping or dot-sighting on the M1A platform is traditionally a PITA. The rail helps alleviate this somewhat but I believe this rifle works best with the iron sights, which are excellent on this gun BTW. The front sight is tritium, and is fairly chunky (I would actually prefer just a little thinner but haven't ever bothered to do anything about it). With the irons you should easily be good out to 300+ yards IMHO.

The only downsides to the SOCOM is the front end. If you're planning to put a can on it, you'll need to get a special adaptor that replaces your gas block and front sight because to give you a standard thread (Delta P Design makes them). That's going to run you an extra $56 over the cost of the adaptor you'll still need for the others. The muzzle break that comes on the SOCOM is quite effective, but it's really freaking loud. Very handy for chasing bench neighbors away at the range.

Other than that little issue, don't really have any downsides to it in my book. Sure, it's not an AK but mine has been 100% reliable in many thousands of rounds through it, and it's way more sexier than an AK.
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226


Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

sterling991
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:47 pm
Location: Boca Raton, Florida

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by sterling991 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:47 pm

ipscscott wrote:I love my SOCOM16. Love it so much that it's my SHTF rifle. I like the ability to punch big holes in/through things.

Scoping or dot-sighting on the M1A platform is traditionally a PITA. The rail helps alleviate this somewhat but I believe this rifle works best with the iron sights, which are excellent on this gun BTW. The front sight is tritium, and is fairly chunky (I would actually prefer just a little thinner but haven't ever bothered to do anything about it). With the irons you should easily be good out to 300+ yards IMHO.

The only downsides to the SOCOM is the front end. If you're planning to put a can on it, you'll need to get a special adaptor that replaces your gas block and front sight because to give you a standard thread (Delta P Design makes them). That's going to run you an extra $56 over the cost of the adaptor you'll still need for the others. The muzzle break that comes on the SOCOM is quite effective, but it's really freaking loud. Very handy for chasing bench neighbors away at the range.

Other than that little issue, don't really have any downsides to it in my book. Sure, it's not an AK but mine has been 100% reliable in many thousands of rounds through it, and it's way more sexier than an AK.

I really like mine as well. It is ridiculously loud and at an indoor range it chases people out quick.

User avatar
narcosis2001
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: St Pete

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by narcosis2001 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:48 pm

just in from shooting a few ak's at shoot straight and on the way out had to fondle the socom... I really wish I had never seen it because now I'm in the process of liquidating so I can get one.. :-)

I think this is going to be one of those rifles I just can't live without! #-o
For those that have one how accurate is it free standing say out to about 300 yards?

User avatar
ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 7679
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:03 am
Location: Davenport, FL
Contact:

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by ipscscott » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:29 pm

narcosis2001 wrote:For those that have one how accurate is it free standing say out to about 300 yards?
man sized without too much difficulty. I can easily pop fire extinguishers at 100 yards all day long.
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226


Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

User avatar
rice paddy daddy
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: Nassau County

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by rice paddy daddy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:42 pm

My Army basic training rifle was the M14. My stateside issue weapon was the M14. Yes, I am of a "certain age".
I was issued an M16A1 for my trip to The Land Of Enchantment (aka Vietnam).
Today I own a Springfield M1A Standard Model, a 1994 built with USGI parts. No, it is not a tacticool shortened model with rails and optics and bolt on gizmos, because these things are not needed. I prefer not to mess with perfection.
Consider this - in the 1960's, Army qualification, shooting for record, was done utilizing the standard positions of the day: standing, kneeling, sitting, prone and foxhole, on pop up shillouette targets ranging from 25 meters to 500 meters. The iron sights that came on the rifle were used, the only shooting aid was the standard issue cotton web sling. Every recruit was expected to do well, and most did.
When my eyes were 18 years old I could hit a man at 500 meters (as long as he was standing still). This is not a testament to my shooting skill, it is a testament to the rifle.
I qualified Expert, FWIW.

User avatar
GunnyHiway
Life Member
Life Member
Posts: 1801
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:41 pm
Location: Marion County

Re: M1A Socom- Worth the $$ ?

Post by GunnyHiway » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:51 pm

narcosis2001 wrote:Any input is appreciated. Looks like a beautiful piece but I don't know if one of the following is better than the others?
Socom 16, socom II, and Scout.
Thanks [smilie=popcorn.gif]
None of the above.

Buy a standard or NM M1A.

How many short barrelled 7.62 rifles like a Socom is our military using in Afganistan for long distance work ? [smilie=cheers1.gif]
The M14 does my talking !............and the 1911A1 too !


CRIMSON TIDE !!!

Post Reply