Question about my Garand bolt?

M14s, M1 Garands & Carbines, Enfields, M1903s
Enoch
BANNED

Question about my Garand bolt?

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:30 am

So I just got my first Garand from CMP. Last night I completely disassembled it, except for the bolt, and cleaned it and lubricated it. That was a bitch for the first time, especially reinstalling that damn hammer spring.

Anyway, everything seems to be working after reassembly, however in order for me to pull the bolt to its most rearward locked position, I now have to apply a little downward pressure on the follower to pull the bolt all the way back. I do not remember that I had to do that before I disassembled it.

Any thoughts or recommendations?
"Try to walk into any average church and see how long it takes them to start pumping money out of you... Just like a titty bar, but with uglier people" - Razorbuc

Dave P
Life Member
Life Member

Re: Question about my Garand bolt?

Post by Dave P » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:03 pm

Well, the bolt rides on the follower (I think), so add little lube to that interface ... bolt also rides on the hammer...
Go Trump!

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Check out this schematic to see what i am talking about: #1 guess, the culprit would be a bent or improperly re-assembled clip ejector [ #9 in diagram ] or # 2 guess, is possibly a mis-assembled follower arm [ #17 in diagram ] http://www.chestnutridge.com/gpic.asp i am thinking that the curved ass end of the clip ejector spring [ #9 again ] is getting in the way of the hammer...... when you depress the follower it will pivot the back of the clip ejector spring, it is the only place the 2 things are connected [ bolt & follower ]. Good luck & hope this helps, Jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 pm

P.S. don't forget "Flashooter22" here has Garand parts and might have a new #9 for you to try, jim
"Try never to run out of smokes, ammo and luck all at the same time. But remember, if you have ammo, you can always get more smokes, and make your own luck."—G.K. Shirpa
wakkoss wrote:
" Good thing for me that I don't wear panties. I freeball with support from a small glob of firm tofu."

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Thanks man. As soon as I get done with all this paperwork I have to finish for work, I'm going to take the stock off and see if I can observe what's catching. I'll update when I figure it out. The advice is much appreciated ;)
"Try to walk into any average church and see how long it takes them to start pumping money out of you... Just like a titty bar, but with uglier people" - Razorbuc

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:32 pm

Ok... The lugs on the operating handle are hitting the front of the catch assembly. (parts 38 and 39) The lugs of the operating handle naturally lock behind the catch assembly in the rear most position. Something is forcing the catch assembly against the bottom of the barrel and preventing a forceful rearward pull of the operating handle from reaching its locked position.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:20 pm

It is hard to say without seeing it but it seems something in the parts group [ 3-17-18-19-20-39 ] isn't assembled right.... possibly you have the follower rod [ #20 ] hooked to the wrong place and it is binding inside the op-rod???? i hope a fellow Fsn'r that lives near you that has a Garand will volunteer to meet up and compare with yours..... always good to see things side-by-side.... good luck, jim
wakkoss wrote:

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks Mike. Here's a couple pics.
This is a pic with the bolt retracted and resting on the follower.

This is a pic of the contact point between the handle and catch that prevents the full retraction of the bolt.

Here's a pic with bolt fully locked back.

Sorry for the crummy pics. For orientation, the top of the receiver is to the left, and this is looking straight down on the operating handle
Last edited by Enoch on Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captyg76

Post by captyg76 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 am

I have found the info in this book extremely helpful: http://www.fulton-armory.com/them1garan ... arand.aspx
NRA Life Member

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:22 pm

Unfortunatly the pictures don't load.... :(
wakkoss wrote:

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:55 pm

jmikeb653 wrote:Unfortunatly the pictures don't load.... :(
that's weird, they were there last night. I tried to reload them but apparently the picture hosting server from tapatalk is having technical issues.

jmikeb653
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jmikeb653 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:08 pm

I see the pix now & they are a little too close-up and don't give an idea of the space between the op-rod catch assembly [ #39 ] and the bbl. Here are a pix of my 2 Garands. The top is a Correct Grade HRA & the bottom is a Service Grade Springfield with a Holbrook device [ that's why it looks a little diff. than yours ]. It looks like the pig tail on the #39 is UNDER the point of the clip release lever [ #10 ] rather than OVER it, this would press the nose of #39 up under the bbl and cause binding, not to mention render the automatic function of the the clip release non-functional.... pull the bolt back 1/2 way and look on the left front inside and see how they are connected. When you get it correct, you can put a little grease on the catch assy, and even more important, you should grease the locking lug that is inside the op-rod handle and the track on the right that it runs in. Just to make clear: you have this problem with the trigger assy. removed correct? Hope this help, jim
wakkoss wrote:

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks Mike. I think what you described is exactly what is happening.

The nose of the catch assembly is being forced against the barrel as the operating handle is pulled backwards and this is preventing the lugs of the operating handle from getting behind the catch assembly unless the follower is depressed.

I haven't had time to even look at it agains Sunday, but hopefully tomorrow I can get it her back out of the safe and figure it out. I definitely appreciate the pics and recommendations. I'll update once I confirm the issue but I think you've identified the problem.

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:06 pm

Op Rod catch needs to be underneath the clip latch..there should be some spring tension and you should see the clip latch move when you press down on the op rod catch.

If its on top that will definitely keep the op rod form going all the way back.
ANd my offer still stands to look it over and see what parts you have. Deciphering garands is super fun!!
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

flashooter22 wrote: ANd my offer still stands to look it over and see what parts you have. Deciphering garands is super fun!!
I'll definitely take you up on that. I have a little one at home too, so we'll just have to coordinate a time when we are both free.

I have some pure Tung oil due to arrive on Friday so my plan is to clean up the stock this weekend, then I'll be ready to take her out in public :)

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Finally solved the problem. The follower assembly part #19 was in backwards. Not upside down but I had the tail of the assembly facing the muzzle and it's supposed to face towards the butt.

Just applied some Tung oil to the wood and it looks good. I already suffered M1 thumb! Damn I hope that doesn't happen to many more times. Now I just need a headspace gauge, then it's off to the range.

Thanks for all the help!!!

flashooter22
Life Member
Life Member

Post by flashooter22 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:38 pm

Glad to hear you figured it out. I have a field headspace gauge you can use.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H.L. Mencken

Enoch
BANNED

Post by Enoch » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:28 pm

flashooter22 wrote:Glad to hear you figured it out. I have a field headspace gauge you can use.
Thanks man, much appreciated. I'll let you know. I was thinking about picking up a "go, no-go" set, because if I like this, it may not be my last 30-06 Milsurp ;).