PTR-91 any good?

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
armedpolak
Life Member
Life Member

PTR-91 any good?

Post by armedpolak » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:54 pm

I'm thinking about picking up this rifle: http://www.ptr91.com/products/PTR91F?id=1

It's a US made close of H&K G3 I think. I've handled one at a local range and I liked it. I decided against FAL because it's too large and heavy for my liking.

Anyone here has one? Are you happy with it? Does it shoot 1 MOA or better?

I'm also considering this model: http://www.ptr91.com/products/PTR%20MSG91?id=11&next though price is bit high. Maybe I can get the basic and then update furniture and accessories.

What do you guys think about PTR-91 rifles? Good build quality? Reliable? This will be my only .308 rifle btw, so I want it to be a solid shooter.

Thanks guys!

A.P.

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Re: PTR-91 any good?

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:12 pm

I loved mine. There was a couple years where the barrels were very very ammo sensitive. IIRC the newer ones are gtg. I'd say mine was close to 1.5 MOA, but honestly I suck at bench rest shooting so I couldn't be sure. It was as accurate as any of my bolt guns, that's for sure.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

aquajon
BANNED

Post by aquajon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 pm

In some ways they are better than a factory HK. They are built on factory HK equipment, but have a match barrel rather than the pencil barrels the "real" HK's have. I had one, and really enjoyed it. I never shot it for groups, but it would hit 4" steel at 200 yard with surplus ammo every time. I ended up selling mine and getting an M1 Garand. Sights on the PTR91 are a PITA to adjust.
Anonymous wrote:I replied "well you might have beat me at IDPA, but I take comfort in the fact that I'm beating you at life".

kmagnuss
Life Member
Life Member

Post by kmagnuss » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Hkpro.com has a good thread about them... regarding which serial #'s to avoid, which ones have different barrels (thompson center made them for awhile), different flutes, and which are home builds on PTR receivers.
Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

mohshard
Life Member
Life Member

Post by mohshard » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:20 pm

If weight's a consideration, the FAL and HK clones are pretty close in weight.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm

Go to HK PRO, & look in the clone section. There's hours of reading. In a nutshell, if you can find a JLD marked receiver with a ser# that starts with "A" [after 100], those were the best ones made. The first 1000 or so PTR marked receivers with ser# "AW" were also fine. After that they went to a different barrel maker, & these guns needed US made expensive ammo. These guns above 1000 or so [nobody knows exactly where the cutoff point is] will choke on surplus ammo. Eventually, after a few years [nobody knows what ser#] they got the barrel problems worked out, BUT, now that the supply of surplus bolts/carriers is dwindling, PTR is making these parts in the US, & quality [heat treating] isn't the best. So if you can find an early JLD built gun after ser# 100 that's the best gun to find. Any JLD/PTR gun with a ser# that starts with "B" was not factory built. GARY N4KVE

Casual
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Casual » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:42 pm

My PTR is "A-045x" produced during the 94' ban, so it has an unthreaded match barrel, and hk internals. Loves everything and anything when it comes to ammo and running dirty

Oh and I got it new for 600$`
"What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?"

BMW GUY
Life Member
Life Member

Post by BMW GUY » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:14 am

Casual wrote:My PTR is "A-045x" produced during the 94' ban, so it has an unthreaded match barrel, and hk internals. Loves everything and anything when it comes to ammo and running dirty

Oh and I got it new for 600$`
$600 bucks new, those days are long gone. I like mine a lot. I have no problems whatsoever. Actually I have more problems with my AR's
FTE etc. You will like it, no doubt.

Armybikos
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Armybikos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:43 pm

I have two PTR-91KPFs, a DSA Para FAL 16" and an Imbel Para FAL 18". They are both totally different systems, the only thing they have in common is that they both shoot 7.62x51mm. If you told me you can keep only one type I would choose the FALs. Here are my reasons why.

1) Common parts with a manufacturer in the US (DS Arms)
2) Ergonomics, better bolt release mag release and every trigger I have felt on a FAL is better than an HK system
3) Cleaner internally when you shoot a lot due to he piston system
4) FALs while they are hard on brass do not destroy it like a delayed roller system (I reload and this is an issue for me)
5) Receiver is milled steel not a stamping, it can be an issue if your PTR receiver get a dent in it. Not likely to happen but still.
6) User maintenence is a lot more easy and requires no specialized tools, and parts are generally a lot cheaper than HK parts.

I am not saying to not get a HK pattern gun, I would just recommend getting a FAL before the HK type gun. FWIW here are the models I have.

N4KVE
Life Member
Life Member

Post by N4KVE » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am

I too have PTR's & FAL's, & while I love shooting both, the FAL's are much easier to clean. I love that green collapsible buttstock. I have all green furniture on mine, & that green buttstock would be a great match. GARY N4KVE