going rate on a Rhodesian FAL kit ??

FAL, G-3 and L1A1 rifles.
Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

going rate on a Rhodesian FAL kit ??

Post by Rentprop1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:52 pm

I have a friend who has been sitting on one for a while, I have first dibs , but he asked for a fair price...anyone have an idea ?? :-k
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

mohshard
Life Member
Life Member

Re: going rate on a Rhodesian FAL kit ??

Post by mohshard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:15 am

There are a LOT of variables affecting kit value. And there are Rhodie enthusiasts that put a 20-50% premium on any Rhodie kit. Kits with few modifying factors are around $300 or so, and can go as high as $500 and up. An R1 kit in average shape sold in 20 min of falfiles.com for $325. Another kit is sitting at $475 for a day or so.

Factors affecting value:

Bore Condition. This one REALLY matters. pitting? Frosting? Run a patch down the bore, and use a good light. If it's a shiny bore with good rifling, and passes the bullet test, add $40-100.
Furniture- All plastic or a mix of plastic pistol grip, handguards and a wooden stock? Long butt, short butt, or regular? Bipod or non-bipod hg? (non-bipod adds 20-50 depending on condition.) Wooden stocks also add a premium, but watch the condition.
Finish. These rifles usually have a poor finish, with shiny metal showing. With normal FAL kits, that's a bad thing. With these, it's not a detractor. How much "baby poo" paint is left on the parts. Collectors pay a premium for a kit with a lot of original paint. If it's in decent shape, (figure a 40-70% original finish), add $50.
ZA electropencil marking on lower? another $10 or so..
Grenade launcher gas plug, or regular? grenade launcher adds a premium. $20.

So, if it's in poor condition, anything under $300 is a deal. If it's in great condition, $400-500 isn't out of line, and you could resell it quite easily. Important note, most of these were sold by Tapco or a few other vendors, sometimes for $99, or two for $175. If he paid $100 for the kit, and wants to sell it for $200 or so, it's a real deal. These things aren't getting any less rare, and collectors love the original finish because of the Rhodie history. Whatever you do, don't buy it, blast, park, and refinish it. That kills the collector value, and makes it just another mixmaster kit. Keep the kit in original finish, swap it for a newer/nicer kit from argentina or brazil, and build up a clone. I recommend a Coonan receiver, they're the best value going currently.

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:06 pm

I think he said something about the $ 400 range but I will take you tips into account when I go and look at it ...thanks :ber

I do know it has the black plastic stock ( not wood ) with some sort of paint or writing in white ???, and I think it's an R1, thats all I know, he's old and low talker, so I'm not gonna get pics or a better description, its a 2 hour ride to pick it up so I have to take that into account when I make my offer, this same guy bought a bunch of the G1 kits from Tapco way back when.... they were $ 99 so hopefully we can come to a fair price.
In the days of the old west a 6 shooter was as common as cell phones are today and just annoying if they go off in a theater.

ipscscott
Life Member
Life Member

Post by ipscscott » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:25 pm

tell him I'll give him $150 sight unseen if it's still got any of the original rhody camo paint.
Custom Cerakote/GunKote refinishing and Hydrographic Printing, mild to wild!
Hydro Print Services
http://www.hydroprintservices.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HydroPrintServices
863-797-4226

Full service FFL/SOT manufacturer, for all your NFA goodies
Thermo Arms Inc FFL07/SOT
http://www.thermoarms.com/
727-776-4274

Rentprop1
Life Member
Life Member

Post by Rentprop1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

ipscscott wrote:tell him I'll give him $150 sight unseen if it's still got any of the original rhody camo paint.
you already ruin enough guns with that paint [smilie=back.gif]

holy cow, look how long it's been since I have been to Fal File's ](*,) ](*,)

captain steinbrenner
Life Member
Life Member

Post by captain steinbrenner » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:15 pm

That was going to be my advice, to check with the fellas at FAL Files :ber
Death solves all problems, no man, no problem. Joseph Stalin